Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Most Overrated City in the World...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I just don't understand how Tijuana could be overrated - who rates it highly? What's coming soon on the list of list - Kabul is overrated? Aleppo?
The same rationale might apply to my two choices. One international, one U.S. They might not be rated at all...but if they are, then they are overrated.

Milan. One cathedral, one painting. Nothing else that compares to any other city I've seen in Italy.

Dallas. Famous for there being no there there. Is there?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 3:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Delta Hog
Dallas. Famous for there being no there there. Is there?
It's there, but you can only find it if you're in a monster SUV with 22" rims.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 3:51 pm

I would have to agree with SF. Admittedly, it is a beautiful city from afar, such as when you drive across the bay bridge or look across from Berkeley, but I ran out of things to do there within a few days of my first trip there. There are some great restaurants, and the ferries to Angel Island and Sausalito can make for a fun little scenic trip, but I tend to think of the city as one big tourist trap now.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Mos Eisley is completely overrated.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:21 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Originally Posted by west49th
Brugge. Massively overpriced and completely overrun with tourists - more so than any other city I've been to.
Too many Belgian Chocolate shops?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 3:04 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Mos Eisley is completely overrated.
I've only ever seen one review of Mos Eisley: "Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy." So I don't know how you can say it's overrated.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by porphyra
I would hardly describe Wadi Rum as a city. Sure you may feel it is overrated as a destination, but surely doesn't fit with the topic of this thread.

For me, another vote for LA. Just don't get the appeal. Throw in Vegas as well.
Oh excuse me.

I would say that as it is a land mass with accommodation in it I felt I would put it in this thread if you don't mind.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Paris. After years of hearing people gush over it I went. Not going back.

Tokyo. Soulless, artificial and bigoted.

New Orleans. Never understood the big deal with the Big Easy.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:46 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Could you please provide some evidence? Especially about the last part.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by invisible
Could you please provide some evidence? Especially about the last part.
Bigoted is a conclusion arrived at after spending a week there on business with a Caucasian who spoke fluent Japanese. We knew what people around us were saying. A few times our colleague would set them straight in their native language.

And it's not just my opinion either.

http://wilsonquarterly.com/stories/b...s-with-racism/

The racial discrimination that exists in Japan is reminiscent of the segregation-based atmosphere of 1950s America, posing a hostile environment for those of non-Japanese origin.

One of the more prominent victims of Japan’s ingrained discrimination is Ariana Miyamoto, who represents Japan in the 2015 Miss Universe competition. Miyamoto, the daughter of a Japanese mother and an African-American father, is categorized as hafu, a Japanese term and .......ization of the English word “half,” indicating someone who is mixed race.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Badenoch
i guess you are lucky to have only experienced a single bigoted city?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 7:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
i guess you are lucky to have only experienced a single bigoted city?
I've experienced several in other countries but none with the same ingrained, institutional and widespread bigotry as Tokyo.

In fairness to Tokyo it is the only Japanese city I visited and I could not rule out the possibility that a bastion of tolerance and racial equality exists elsewhere in the country.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if problem is country, does that mean every single city in the country is overrated?

and as follow up, i guess youre lucky if japan is only country youve experienced bigotry

(or, yet another factor, country/location/etc of the "overrated" city being discussed)
(whether its the country/location/etc being referred to rather than the city itself)
Old Feb 10, 2016, 7:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
if problem is country, does that mean every single city in the country is overrated?

and as follow up, i guess youre lucky if japan is only country youve experienced bigotry
It's hardly the first country where I've experienced bigotry but not to quite the same extent as Tokyo.

If encountering deeply-seated cultural bigotry towards anyone other than pure blood Japanese is acceptable then Tokyo probably won't be overrated for you.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:28 am

The more you know a city or place the more it unfolds before you, revealing the lesser known sides to its makeup, personality, geography, history, etc. Of course, they still may not be your cup of tea.

Last edited by MrTemporal; Feb 10, 2016 at 9:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.