The Most Overrated City in the World...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Most Overrated City in the World...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:06 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
Prague. Maybe it was the time of year or something, but people didn't seem all that friendly.

I'd include Vegas, but it's such a bizarre place that I don't think it really counts as a city. More like just a destination to party.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
I've been to Paris over 100 times. Usually 1 day per trip. It has some great architecture, but so do 100 other cities. The Louvre is a good museum, but I prefer the museums in Amsterdam or London. The Mona Lisa? Really? About the size of a sheet of paper and behind inches of acrylic and you're not allowed to get anywhere near it/

Paris isn't a bad city. I said that in my OP. But the reputation is has of been a super great city, one of the best in the world, isn't justified.
IMHO you're doing Paris wrong. Take at least five days and don't try and get anywhere in a hurry. Some of the best experiences of Paris are just about strolling around and taking your time and not being in a rush to join the tourist lines. Try stopping for a coffee just to absorb the atmosphere, or telling a waiter you'll have whatever the chef recommends. You'll slowly soak up many experiences that way. I got some stunning photos for my Paris collection when my wife and I wandered into a leather shop near the Sorbonne on a whim and ended up having a glass of wine with the owner.

As for the Mona Lisa I couldn't agree more, but you set yourself up for disappointment there by expecting to be impressed. My "wow" art moment in Paris came in a gallery I almost didn't go into and looking at a painting that wasn't the main event.

Paris is a lady. Don't rush her.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
My most overrated city was Lyon (oversold, under-delivered), followed by Nashville (ditto).
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:53 am

I'll stir things up by saying that Vegas, Dubai, and Singapore share something in their extreme new-ness - something that leaves me with a cold feeling in each of them (ironically).
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I used to feel that way about Paris. Then I went back with my wife, who lived there and learned her French there (so still speaks it with a fairly Parisian accent).

That changed everything, from the boutique hotels we stayed in to the markets, cafes, and bars we went to. Still did the tourist stuff by day (first for me, and then again a few years later for our kids), but it's a totally different Paris if you can visit somewhat as a local. I feel like I've still only scratched the surface...it's a place I'll never grow tired of.

I liked Vegas 20 years ago when it was a little grittier and a little more about the gambling. I just want my $1 minimum / 100x odds craps table and a steady flow of (undoubtedly rail-quality) mixed drinks. Now Vegas is all about the clubs, restaurants, and shopping. You have to take a 20-minute cab ride to find a decent dice game. It's funny: I read an article about how some of the Vegas megacorps aren't doing well, and they blame a big part of that on the fact that not as many people actually gamble anymore. Well, yeah, that's because the megacorps killed it...
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by JerryFF
Tijuana. So many people who visit San Diego want to go to Tijuana. I don't want to say anything derogatory, but any negative comments made about any other place apply to Tijuana 10x over.
Well it will depend on what you are "rating"...

TJ has never claimed to be in the same league as the “fabulous cities” the OP is referring to.

Maybe the charm of TJ is the contrast with the USA/California, and maybe it’s because you can drink your liver to cirrhosis regardless of age limit (20, 18, 15… nobody cares).

So Tijuana is not overrated, it’s just that you don’t find value in its offering…
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3
Not sure what the "Napoli Coast " is, assume you mean the amalphi coast, but then again baffled, its almost universally aclaimed as a beautiful area !
Eh, you mean the Amalfi Coast, right?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by roberino
IMHO you're doing Paris wrong. Take at least five days and don't try and get anywhere in a hurry. Some of the best experiences of Paris are just about strolling around and taking your time and not being in a rush to join the tourist lines. Try stopping for a coffee just to absorb the atmosphere, or telling a waiter you'll have whatever the chef recommends. You'll slowly soak up many experiences that way. I got some stunning photos for my Paris collection when my wife and I wandered into a leather shop near the Sorbonne on a whim and ended up having a glass of wine with the owner.

As for the Mona Lisa I couldn't agree more, but you set yourself up for disappointment there by expecting to be impressed. My "wow" art moment in Paris came in a gallery I almost didn't go into and looking at a painting that wasn't the main event.

Paris is a lady. Don't rush her.
^

I'd add that one subjective element of my appreciating Paris is going there with my wife. For all the reasons roberino stated and many more, it's the most romantic city in the world. We love stopping for a glass or two of wine, people-watching, the architecture, great food, the spots we come across by chance, the whole attitude there (compared to many other major cities) of taking life at a leisurely pace, and just strolling around.

Having said that, I certainly could see the appeal for single folks, families, groups, etc. But its really special for me for sharing it with my wife, several times now.

Now, back to the original question...I'd say Vegas was the most disappointing because it's so garish and plastic...or at least that was my impression the first time I went there. The second time (tagging along with my wife when she had a conference there), we knew what we were in for so took it more in stride and simply for what it is. Still, it definitely qualifies for my personal "most disappointing" award...and upon reflection, for the many ways that it's the opposite of Paris.

Last edited by Thunderroad; Feb 8, 2016 at 2:19 pm
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Do two nitpicky posts cancel each other out?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 3:09 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
My number one vote goes to Singapore. It's an Asian city without the history of other Asian cities, priced like an expensive Western city without all the activities of big Western cities.

Anything on the west coast of US. No history, no culture, inflated price thanks to the tech bubble, and no seasons.

Also Vegas, or for that matter, anywhere where people travel to just to stay in hotels.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by tmorse6570
Prague. Maybe it was the time of year or something, but people didn't seem all that friendly.
I lived there for many years. The time of year has no bearing on it - that's just how it is.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 4:22 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Paris. Not a bad city but highly overrated.
Paris is lovely, Tijuana is a dump.
I worked in Nanterre for 6 months Monday-Friday, took the RER 4xweek to walk/eat somewhere inside the periferique.

Now Bangkok is way overrated.
First time BKK was OK for 5 days, now I stay at the airport Novotel when I need a night there.

Last edited by tartempion; Feb 8, 2016 at 5:43 pm
Old Feb 8, 2016, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Las Vegas great to go once for about 1 night then after that it is very tacky and in your face IMHO
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:10 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Yep, just cant speell
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by TOMFORD
the west coast of US. No history, no culture
We have a history, and culture, going back thousands of years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.