Reload this Page >

What Are Your Top Hotel Pet Peeves? The 2015 Frequent Business Traveler Survey

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
This thread covers the 2015 Hotel Pet Peeves poll, conducted by Frequent Business Traveler magazine in conjunction with FlyerTalk.

The results of the survey are in and online here:
Slow and Expensive Internet and Insufficient Electrical Outlets Top Hotel Pet Peeves List for 4th Year Running

Please take part in the discussion below and talk about your favorite peeves or add peeves including those that weren't touched upon in the results.

Next year's poll will be created using input from the current year's discussion so please do contribute in the thread.
Print Wikipost

What Are Your Top Hotel Pet Peeves? The 2015 Frequent Business Traveler Survey

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:45 am

Inefficient check in. "Hello, can I help you?" "Yes, I have a prepaid reservation for Mr. Firstclasser" "Can I have you passports and credit card?" "Here you go". "Sorry cant seem to find you would you like me to book you?" "Here is my voucher". "Ill be right back" (20 ,minutes later) " Sorry about that found it? How would you like to pay?" "Its prepaid" " ill be right back" (20 minutes later) "sorry about that... Your room is ready" "can someone take me there?" "Ill be right back"....
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:35 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by FightOnFlyer
I agree 100%. It takes almost two hours to charge an iphone from 1% to 100%. When I also use my phone as an alarm clock, I don't want to spend two extra hours in my hotel room just to charge my phone when there is no outlet next to the bed - I want to do it while I'm asleep.

Get a 6' or 9' iPhone cord. Best $8 I've ever spent.

Turn your volume up so the alarm can be heard across the room.

Turn your phone on airplane mode when charging. It easily cuts 25% off the charging time, in my experience.

First world problems
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
- Bedspreads! Ick, get with triple sheeting or duvets. And the old blankets under
bedspreads!
-No exhaust fan in bathroom
-Slow drains in sinks/tubs
-Hangers that can't be hung up outside of closet cause they have those iddy bitty tops
-Hair dryers that are simply hoses from the small dryer attached to the wall (Europe thing)
-Showers that don't have enough glass door to keep water in (another Europe thing)
- Curtains that don't keep water in or try to stick to you ( U.S. version of not keeping
water in)
- Lack of washcloths (Europe mostly- I usually bring my own)
- wifi that you have to login every 24 hours

All of that said -- I don't wish to seem ungrateful, as I am very fortunate to be able to travel to many places.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:46 am

Clueless or deliberately dishonest staff annoy me. Recent hotel stays have involved contacting hotels to get specific types of rooms. Staff assure us our needs can be met but we have been promised room types that do not exist. Checked in at Dublin airport hotel & got directed to lift (not near lobby) to find 'out of order' sign. On the only lift. We were fine with stairs but many (including my parents) would have been sleeping in the lobby as they can't manage stairs.

Hotels who tell you your preferred room type not available only to hear a walk in at the desk get offered what you couldn't have.

Rooms with bits of fabric & cushions on beds. You know the last guest threw them on the floor and they haven't been washed before being placed on to your pillow.

Housekeeping that moves your stuff in accordance with some unknown hotel plan. Stayed in Monterey Plaza for a week and put toiletries in bathroom. Returned to find them shifted so hotel shampoo, etc, was placed. My stuff was laid out on a wash cloth. The person who just cleaned the toiled moved my toothbrush. Yuk. I know someone will tell me to put my stuff away but I don't want to unpack every night.

Also housekeeping who decide you've checked out and cleaned your room out when you're in the middle of packing the car. You return to your room to pick up the last few items but find the DND notice gone along with your stuff. The DND is pointless in some hotels. In the Disneyland hotel we got a late check out but got the housekeeping trying to enter. Argued with her then noticed DND missing. Asked her for another & - guess what - she had one in the hand behind her back.

Sockets that are nowhere near mirrors. In a lot of US & Euro hotels I find a socket in the bathroom so I can use my straighteners and see where I'm putting them. In the UK sockets are not allowed in bathrooms so I have to travel with an extension cord. Also rubbish lighting by mirrors. If more men wore makeup this would change. Either mirrors are in light free areas or have a bright light directly overhead. Useless.

Last but not least. Rubbish executive lounges. We got to the Sofitel at LHR recently & by the time we got to the lounge most of the food offering had disappeared. This is supposed to be a benefit to frequent guests but its not worth bothering.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: Nothing worth mentioning
Wow, talk about ignoring the elephant in the room; two of my pet peeves aren't on the list at all: bed & covers. Hotel room décor, climate control, outlet placement, etc are all important, but it's all for naught if you have a uncomfortable bed & old-style, dry-clean-only bedspread. I want a good nights sleep on a wonderful mattress, under a WASHABLE, clean, cotton duvet!
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Carry one of these.
Amazon Amazon

And if the TV in the room is a smart TV just screen share your laptop.
How can I screen share if all the input sockets behind the screen are not accessible?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:31 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
One hotel where if you have your Do Not Disturb sign out at roughly noon, they shove a paper under the door that you'll get no housekeeping unless you let the front desk know (promptly) that you aren't waiving it for the day, period.
I've gotten these warnings as early as 8:30 and 9am at some hotels. In all but one case housekeeping did check back later in the morning to clean my room.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by DebitNM
-Showers that don't have enough glass door to keep water in (another Europe thing)
- wifi that you have to login every 24 hours
Agreed - hate those showers that let water get all over the place. Europe, Asia, heck even Australia. Only in the US do they lock all the water in.

I agree 100%. It takes almost two hours to charge an iphone from 1% to 100%. When I also use my phone as an alarm clock, I don't want to spend two extra hours in my hotel room just to charge my phone when there is no outlet next to the bed - I want to do it while I'm asleep.
Pick up a gold plated cord. I picked up one and charging times dropped dramatically.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold
I don't know what it is about drainage in China hotels, but it seems every hotel I stay in there, the water backs up and I end up standing in a couple inches of dirty water when showering.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I'm curious to see how much the order of items on the list has changed over time. I know that my top two hotel peeves have been the same for several years now:

1. Too few/inconvenient electrical sockets
2. Expensive/slow/unreliable wifi

As I posted on my blog over a year ago:

Old Jul 1, 2015, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by kyee
I don't know what it is about drainage in China hotels, but it seems every hotel I stay in there, the water backs up and I end up standing in a couple inches of dirty water when showering.
Last year my roommate's Chinese girlfriend visited our apartment and the next day when I took a shower the water backed up to my ankles.

It may be a cultural norm for Chinese people to rinse hair down the drain.

That said, I've stayed in maybe a dozen hotels within China and I've only had one drainage problem which was promptly repaired by a call to the front desk.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by KevinDTW
If it is happening more often lately, my guess is it's because hotels are trying to save money with a smaller housekeeping staff and they can't get all the rooms serviced in time.
Maybe this explains why, when I checked into a hotel at 11 PM recently, they gave me the keys to the room, but when I opened the door, I could see that it clearly had not been serviced. Bed unmade, dirty towels on the floor, etc....
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mendy7511
How can I screen share if all the input sockets behind the screen are not accessible?
If it's a smart TV just use mirroring from your laptop. If it's not a smart TV you can't.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD, AS 75K, Marriott Titanium
Another pet peeve of mine that seems to be almost exclusive to European hotels are the 1/4 or 1/2 shower "doors" that don't do much to keep water from splashing or flooding the bathroom floor. I have yet to understand the purpose of these and what prevents hotels from installing a full door or even a shower curtain.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:53 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Another pet peeve of mine that seems to be almost exclusive to European hotels are the 1/4 or 1/2 shower "doors" that don't do much to keep water from splashing or flooding the bathroom floor. I have yet to understand the purpose of these and what prevents hotels from installing a full door or even a shower curtain.
This is covered in the poll by the "poor bathroom design" peeve!

Don't forget to take the poll in addition to the discussion here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.