Reload this Page >

What Are Your Top Hotel Pet Peeves? The 2015 Frequent Business Traveler Survey

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
This thread covers the 2015 Hotel Pet Peeves poll, conducted by Frequent Business Traveler magazine in conjunction with FlyerTalk.

The results of the survey are in and online here:
Slow and Expensive Internet and Insufficient Electrical Outlets Top Hotel Pet Peeves List for 4th Year Running

Please take part in the discussion below and talk about your favorite peeves or add peeves including those that weren't touched upon in the results.

Next year's poll will be created using input from the current year's discussion so please do contribute in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2015, 2:22 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Please click here for the article and poll results.

Are you lying your head on an uncomfortable pillow in a hot and dirty hotel room right now where you are not yet able to read this because the Internet service provided to you by the hotel — for which you paid too much money — is excruciatingly slow? The battery power is almost gone on your portable electronic device because of the inadequate amount of electrical outlets in the room, most are hidden and difficult to reach — if they are not already in use...

...and those are only a few of the many potentially annoying aspects of being a guest in a hotel room

FlyerTalk — the largest Internet travel community in the world with a rich base of travel knowledge — continues to collaborate with Frequent Business Traveler magazine on a series of polls pertaining to “pet peeves” of air travel, restaurants, hotels and technology. Frequent Business Traveler will provide the poll; FlyerTalk members — yes, you in particular — will provide the opinions.

This poll is the 2015 Hotel Pet Peeves Poll, which will be active through August 3, 2015. Many FlyerTalk members spend quite a bit of time in hotel rooms — and any hotel property can potentially foster issues and situations which can drive you absolutely insane.

The primary purpose of this particular discussion is for you to opine, elaborate on your thoughts and relate your experiences as a guest in hotel rooms — as shown in past discussions on FlyerTalk:

Results of this poll will be announced both at the official Internet web site of Frequent Business Traveler and here on FlyerTalk.

So — what are your “pet peeves”? Please vote today and let everyone know!

Last edited by Canarsie; Aug 16, 2015 at 1:03 am Reason: Date survey ends was extended.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Pet peeves from the pre-selected and permitted range of options? Looks like a clickbait "poll"
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Pet peeves from the pre-selected and permitted range of options? Looks like a clickbait "poll"
I didn't notice anything missing from the list though. Makes it easier to tabulate I suppose.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:52 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JBord
I didn't notice anything missing from the list though.
Good to hear. Thanks.

Makes it easier to tabulate I suppose.
No other way of doing it.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:24 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
I didn't notice anything missing from the list though. Makes it easier to tabulate I suppose.
My gripe is the amount of cardboard crap that Sheraton (and others) has on every surface in the room. No place to mention that.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Just home from a trip. You could not read on the couch in the living area. It was too dark. I tried to move a lamp from the bedside table but alas, it was stuck down! Do hotels think people don't want to read when they are away?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:22 am

Mine's on there. Phone rings. Hello. You have your do not disturb sign on your door. Do you want your room cleaned?
Another one is when you get up to get something at breakfast and come back to find they've taken away your breakfast and whatever you're reading.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Mine is heading out (or coming home) and getting in the lift then having someone hold the door open saying "my friend is coming" when their friend is no where in sight. Take the next lift, fool!!!
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Mine is heading out (or coming home) and getting in the lift then having someone hold the door open saying "my friend is coming" when their friend is no where in sight. Take the next lift, fool!!!
The only thing worse, is people coming into the elevator smoking. Happens enough in Asia, unfortunately.

I also hate people who push both the up and down call buttons for the elevator.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 4:27 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
The poll is blocked by my office firewall lol

Anyway my pet peeve is lights that don't have off switches. My previous hotel in Geneva I literally could not figure out how to turn off the two floor lamps in the corner. Gave up and unplugged them from the wall.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 5:10 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sabai
My gripe is the amount of cardboard crap that Sheraton (and others) has on every surface in the room. No place to mention that.
I usually jam all that junk in a drawer, so the room looks more like a room.

Romelle
Old Jun 30, 2015, 5:16 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Opening a closet door and getting the smell of too many other people's sweaty old shoes.

Charges on the bill for stuff I didn't do - phone calls, mini-bar, etc. I am always able to get them off, but hate to have to carefully review the bill and do the confrontation. One hotel automatically put on a 5 Euro charge for the mini-bar for each day. No argument at all when I questioned it, just took it off. I have to wonder how many guests simply didn't notice it and paid.

Romelle
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:06 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Lack of hotel stationery envelopes and paper.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:34 am
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
my top peeve isnt even on the list. Check in is at 3pm. You show up at 5pm and the room isnt ready. Is it just me or is this starting to happen with more frequency? You have to be out by 11am or noon, no exceptions or you get charged extra. Yet its rare that a hotel will voluntarily discount anything off the first night even though you have to wait until 5 or 6pm to get in your room. It usually takes a big fuss to get anything out of them for the room not being ready
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum
One of my greatest pet peeves has consistently been poor loyalty programs. I have tried several and now I just use hotels.com to book. I get a cheap rate and one out of 10 hotel nights is free.

I stopped using loyalty programs because I didn't get treated any differently. Half the time I didn't even get a free bottle of water in the room.

I wish hotels knew that it's not easy to ALWAYS book at their hotels. In the past, I went out of my way and booked in locations that weren't as convenient just so I could use their hotel. What did I get for it? No recognition of my status, no upgrades, nothing special at all. Airlines do a much better job of it from what I've seen.

I spend a lot of money at hotels every year.. I wish that someone would make it worth my while to stay with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.