Reload this Page >

What Are Your Top Hotel Pet Peeves? The 2015 Frequent Business Traveler Survey

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
This thread covers the 2015 Hotel Pet Peeves poll, conducted by Frequent Business Traveler magazine in conjunction with FlyerTalk.

The results of the survey are in and online here:
Slow and Expensive Internet and Insufficient Electrical Outlets Top Hotel Pet Peeves List for 4th Year Running

Please take part in the discussion below and talk about your favorite peeves or add peeves including those that weren't touched upon in the results.

Next year's poll will be created using input from the current year's discussion so please do contribute in the thread.
Print Wikipost

What Are Your Top Hotel Pet Peeves? The 2015 Frequent Business Traveler Survey

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:20 pm

Two things

One big - simple known room service offerings - sometimes I have no choice but to order but being able to order a simple protein, veg & a glass of wine shouldn't take an act of Congress.

One small - please no more mint shampoo, conditioner or body wash! There are scents out there that are unisex - I don't want to smell like an Altoid all day!
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:24 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by AMflier
Hotel rooms where every surface is covered with something that they want to sell to me.

I feel like I'm sleeping in a 7-11!
It might as well be included in this thread (too?), but I used to think that, in various hotel rooms in East Asia, the list of items in the room with values attached to them were for purchase. Instead, one of the check-in agents finally told me that those are the costs incurred should guests break something.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:43 pm
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Originally Posted by njf63
For me it has to be concrete blocks masquerading as pillows - I literally cannot sleep !

I've ofter been forced to take me own
I'm the other way, I hate very soft pillows and prefer the concrete blocks for pillows. Generally love mattresses in Asian hotels which are usually very hard.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 9:06 pm

+1 for hard mattresses. If a guest complains, send a mattress pad.

But a soft mattress cannot be made hard.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 10:01 pm

Programs: USAir Gold, HHonors Diamond, PCPlatinum, Hertz Pres. Circle, National Exec. Elite
Metal Security Bars Used as Doorstops

My workday begins and ends rather early in the day and consequently I'm often in my room when housekeeping is blitzing the rooms near mine (around 2 pm)... and they almost always use that little wall-mounted, metal security latch near the door as a means to keep the doors from closing behind them. I might be overly sensitive, but after thirty or so minutes of my walls shaking from the neighbouring doors bouncing off of these metal latches EVERY SINGLE TIME the cleaning person walks out to their cart and back in to the room (BOOM! Boom.. boom...) ... I'm ready to completely lose my s--t.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
THis lsit of 'peeves' seems a bit confusing...some are major issues with a room, others jsut a peeve.

There are two things I need in EVERY room at which I stay (perhaps 150 nights a year)

A nights sleep

A hot shower.

Things that prevent that- AC not working, bricks for pillows, lack of shades, noise, lack of water pressure or temp, alarms that go off at 4AM, etc are not 'pet peeves'. At least IMO.

Advertising, slow elevators, morons at the front desk, outlets, internet, etc, etc all fall into peeves.

So I kinda did the list as a ranking in terms of 'does it impact sleep, can I shower and shave'

Hey, speaking of minor peeves: they have a fancy coffee maker, like nesspresso or keurig, but powdered creamer.

Oh, anohter peeve: ACs that cannot be set to "fan all the time"

Nothing worse that AC turning on and off all night- just let the fan run and the compressor will cycle. The droning fan, even if loud, is constant and can drown out the other noises.

Ive been know to disassemble, rewire or reproram as necessary. Seriously. Btween an EE back when and the internet it is pretty easy to do.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 11:00 pm

Programs: Club Carlson, BA, Hilton, Miles N More
I know your experience

Originally Posted by Firstclasser
Inefficient check in. "Hello, can I help you?" "Yes, I have a prepaid reservation for Mr. Firstclasser" "Can I have you passports and credit card?" "Here you go". "Sorry cant seem to find you would you like me to book you?" "Here is my voucher". "Ill be right back" (20 ,minutes later) " Sorry about that found it? How would you like to pay?" "Its prepaid" " ill be right back" (20 minutes later) "sorry about that... Your room is ready" "can someone take me there?" "Ill be right back"....
Wow, I have the same conversation and wait so many times :-)
Old Jul 3, 2015, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by Hvr
I'm the other way, I hate very soft pillows and prefer the concrete blocks for pillows.
Yes. Same here.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by burbuja0512
One of my greatest pet peeves has consistently been poor loyalty programs. I have tried several and now I just use hotels.com to book. I get a cheap rate and one out of 10 hotel nights is free.

I stopped using loyalty programs because I didn't get treated any differently. Half the time I didn't even get a free bottle of water in the room.

I wish hotels knew that it's not easy to ALWAYS book at their hotels. In the past, I went out of my way and booked in locations that weren't as convenient just so I could use their hotel. What did I get for it? No recognition of my status, no upgrades, nothing special at all. Airlines do a much better job of it from what I've seen.

I spend a lot of money at hotels every year.. I wish that someone would make it worth my while to stay with them.

truth has been spoken.

i second that. I book via gta and its all good.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 1:15 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by davie355
+1 for hard mattresses. If a guest complains, send a mattress pad.

But a soft mattress cannot be made hard.
Totally agree - the difference is, for a decent night's sleep, I like a hard mattress but I need a soft pillow
Old Jul 3, 2015, 5:39 am

Programs: Flying Blue, BA Executive Club, Singapore KrisFlyer, Emirates Skywards
I must admit I get really annoyed when people seem to have load conversations for ages whilst in the corridor. People just treat a hotel room corridor like a public social area and ignore the fact that people are try to rest behind all those doors.

Other irritants are going all the way up to your room with your luggage to find that your key card does not work.

Horrible hotel breakfasts with dried out or heavily salted scrambled egg.

Also tiny bedrooms where you literally cannot swing a cat. Awful places if you have to spend a few days there.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 7:15 am

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
A relatively recent pet peeve is when hotels only have the room service menu available on the television. Takes forever to scroll through the screens and on more than one occasion, either the remote battery was dead or the TV itself not working.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 7:20 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, HHonors Diamond
noisy halls

I thought of the survey from the standpoint of "what makes me request a new room." Residual cigarette smoke, absolutely, but right behind it are hotels who won't respond to noisy guests in the hall after midnight (I'd prefer an earlier time but..). If a hotel books a high school marching band on a trip or a track team etc., they should be prepared to deal with the noise issues promptly for the sake of the other guests. And don't assign your "Diamond" guest (or any other indication of a frequent business traveler) a room in the middle of all those kids! Unless you like getting calls every 15 minutes all night long.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by jfarbstein
My #1 peeve is actually calls to the front desk or operator that go unanswered. When I'm staying at an upscale hotel and I call the front desk or operator, even a "Hello, please hold" would be greatly appreciated rather than endless ringing.
Oh you are so, so right with this one - it makes me incandescent when it happens!

And when I eventually storm down to the front desk and tell them through gritted teeth what I want and why I have been forced to get dressed and make my request in person, I get a totally insincere "Terribly sorry sir".

Like so many of these peeves, the part that really gets to me is that you have no real recourse. And hotels and/or their staff don't suffer any immediate negative consequences from continuing to treat guests badly.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by iwatawood
I thought of the survey from the standpoint of "what makes me request a new room." Residual cigarette smoke, absolutely, but right behind it are hotels who won't respond to noisy guests in the hall after midnight (I'd prefer an earlier time but..).
Interesting approach, though I answered the survey in terms of which problems were both most significant and most frequent. I'm allergic to cigarette smoke and will request another room without hesitation if there's a problem with it, but thankfully residual smoke is rare nowadays in the places I travel. I regard it as a problem that has been mostly solved. Lack of power outlets, OTOH, while certainly less severe than smoke in the room, is a problem I encounter more than 50% of the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.