Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest vs. US Airways

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2015, 5:09 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
For assigned seat airlines like US Airways, check before paying whether you can select seats together at booking time. If not (perhaps due to the flight being almost full or overbooked), then you will have to wait until check in time, so that you will be uncertain about getting seats together and have a higher risk of involuntary denied boarding.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 11:30 am
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
This is the first time I've encountered someone willing to pay more to fly Southwest over a legacy. Other than companion pass holders.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by burbuja0512
I'll pay for bags any day over having to deal with uncertainty over seating issues. Yes, you'll probably get to sit together where you want, but there is no guarantee.
The only way the OP's family would not get to sit together is if all 60 of the "A" boarding slot were sold and each of those people sat in a different "3" of seats. And that's also assuming that no one in the family got an "A" boarding number to begin with.

I'd go ahead and assume that the family is likely to get seats together, even if it is not guaranteed.

In the OP's case I'd probably take the US flight as the A321 is a bit wider and offers just a smidgen more space than the WN 737, plus it is less total travel time. I wouldn't be worried at all about the seating issue.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
I would not fly Southwest period.

Choosing seats in advance is way more important to me then bag fees.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:32 am
Original Poster

I booked the tickets out of philly on US airways. I used the chase ultimate rewards portal to book and after checkout i was sent to the seat selection page. I saw three seats together and selected them but when I submitted it said it cannot be processed and i need to call the airline. I am nervous that I may not be able to get all the seats together.

Also any tips to make this first trip go easy, we are taking a stroller, can we gate checkin the stroller?

So in terms of baggage, can some one clarify how may carry one each one of us can carry.

I will have a backpack and the carseat and stroller, wife will have the diaper bag and a carry on bag, plus the carseat.

also, can we carry the water for the babies formula through security. Can I pre-check-In.

How do we go through security with a baby? just like regular?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:44 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Fyi, for future reference, there is a dedicated Travel With Children Forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-children-221/

Two carseats for one baby?

If your child has a purchased seat, then each of you is entitled to 1 baby item to check for free, e.g. carseat or stroller. Many will tell you to avoid checking these items at the ticket counter due to potential damage. If you're checking multiple bags, best to each check one so that you minimize your checked baggage fee (on US, $25 for first and $35 for second per person). Note that diaper bags are IN ADDITION to your usual carry on allotment, so one person could theoretically take on a suitcase, carryon bag, and diaper bag. If your child has his own seat, technically, he also gets the full carryon allowance, although between the two of you and the kid, I'd try to minimize what I carry on. Babies are a handful enough without trying to maneuver multiple bags!

You may gate check your stroller, assuming it's not a large heavy-duty jogger type. You can also gate check your carseat, unless the child has his own seat, in which case you can use the carseat on board, provided it is in the window seat. Carseats cannot be in the middle or aisle seats on a single-aisle aircraft, per FAA regulations, as they block egress in case of an emergency.

Water is hit-or-miss, IME. Nursery Water was sometimes let on, other times not. Formula should not be a problem in most cases, although sometimes you get a rogue TSA employee who tries to tell you it's too big or too much or whatever. Generally, a conversation with a supervisor clears that up.

Note that if your infant does not have his own seat, you will have to get an infant boarding pass - all passengers, even lap infants, need boarding passes.

Going through security is like usual, although you can carry the baby through the metal detector. You will have to pass your carseat and stroller through the x-ray. If they're too big, they get swabbed (and you might, too).

Are you referring to "PreCheck" program where you receive lighter-than-normal screening, or checking in ahead of time? If you are eligible for PreCheck, children 12 and under can go with you. But everyone must be PreCheck eligible, so your spouse must also have it or must go through regular security. If you just mean checking in ahead of time, then yes, you can check in all 3 of you 24 hours before departure, and also select seats at that time. May be better to try to select now, though, by calling US customer service. They've generally been good when I've called them.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:08 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
This is the first time I've encountered someone willing to pay more to fly Southwest over a legacy. Other than companion pass holders.
I do it all the time when Delta is the other option for many reasons, first and foremost to get a guaranteed seat.

I even do it on occasion when AA, US, or UA is the other option, either to get a nonstop, a better airport, or because I'm iffy on whether the trip will really happen.

In the case of the OP, it's simply a trade-off of cost vs. risk (assuming he does not have AA status).
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
Like pinniped, I'll pick Southwest over "legacy" airlines under a variety of conditions - direct vs. connect, more-convenient airport (e.g., BWI vs. DCA), more convenient travel times.

All else (including pricing) being absolutely equal, I'll probably pick WN over any of the legacies. The pre-assigned seating hasn't typically resulted in a more comfortable ride on those legacies IME.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:57 am
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by MaxBuck
All else (including pricing) being absolutely equal, I'll probably pick WN over any of the legacies. The pre-assigned seating hasn't typically resulted in a more comfortable ride on those legacies IME.
Pre-assigned seating seems to be most advantageous for those with elite status on the airline; it is disadvantageous for those booking late without elite status, who may not be able to get a seat assignment until check-in (and are at increased IDB risk).

Also, some pre-assigned seat airlines are now charging extra fees for any seat assignment, not just the premium seats.

Overall, I have not found pre-assigned seating to be a significant advantage (as someone without elite status).
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by Jeannietx
I would not fly Southwest period.

Choosing seats in advance is way more important to me then bag fees.
On Southwest, I always get a pick of decent seats, sometimes even exit rows, just by checking in 24 hours in advance. I have never had a problem getting two or three seats together either.

With the legacies, buying a week or two out for business travel, typically there are only middles, and sometimes no seats at all for selection without paying an upcharge to "premium" seating. Sometimes this premium brings more room, sometimes just closer to the front. Rarely can I find two together. Unless you have status or buy way in advance, the "advantage" of advance seat selection is often not there.

Edit: just realized TJL said the same thing above.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:39 pm

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by sbm12
The only way the OP's family would not get to sit together is if all 60 of the "A" boarding slot were sold and each of those people sat in a different "3" of seats. And that's also assuming that no one in the family got an "A" boarding number to begin with.

I'd go ahead and assume that the family is likely to get seats together, even if it is not guaranteed.

In the OP's case I'd probably take the US flight as the A321 is a bit wider and offers just a smidgen more space than the WN 737, plus it is less total travel time. I wouldn't be worried at all about the seating issue.
Good info, but still not good enough to get me to fly Southwest.

I'm glad to hear that it's unlikely that a family would get split up, but the question is, where would they sit? My guess is the answer is "who knows?"

There is enough stress involved with flying without having to wonder if you're stuck with seats that don't recline. I understand why people fly them, but until they offer me an option to buy a seat, I'll look elsewhere.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm glad to hear that it's unlikely that a family would get split up, but the question is, where would they sit? My guess is the answer is "who knows?"
No, the answer is Row 18.

Seriously. Row 18. That's where they'd sit. Plus or minus two rows, maximum. Or closer to the front, maybe, if they want window+middle.

There is enough stress involved with flying without having to wonder if you're stuck with seats that don't recline.
Absolutely! Great reason not to fly a legacy without elite status. @:-) That and the whole you-might-not-get-a-seat-at-all thing. The only time I fly DL these days is the occasional business trip: one where if there are IROPS or an IDB on my outbound, I could just declare the whole thing a trip-in-vain. (I've done that before...take my IDB cash, refund the trip, go home.) IROPS on the way home would be more stressful, but I'd have justification to buy another airline's ticket at that point.

I understand why people fly them, but until they offer me an option to buy a seat, I'll look elsewhere.
Southwest offers that too, but as long as you have data access 24 hours prior to your flight, it's unnecessary.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:55 pm

Just like on most other planes. You'll have seats somewhere inside and it really won't matter at all.

There is enough stress involved with flying without having to wonder if you're stuck with seats that don't recline.
Almost no chance of that, especially when traveling with kids, as the non-reclining exit row is not an option. So two of 25+ rows might be "bad" because of that. Still almost guaranteed to get a normal seat on board.

Also, the amount I'm willing to pay to "guarantee" a reclining seat over a non-reclining one on a random day-time domestic flight is about a dollar. And that's probably overly generous. Which is to say I see zero real value in such.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 7:25 am

Agree

Originally Posted by MaxBuck
Couldn't disagree more. I love flying SWA. Congenial employees, comfortable flights, reasonable fares, no hassles in bag check. Of course, since one of my bags is always a golf bag that flies free, that may affect my judgment here ...
I fully agree with the above poster. I have made the transition from all other airlines to Southwest as my primary carrier. The reason for doing this was specifically the unassigned seating. Most of my The reason for doing this was specifically the unassigned seating. Most of my flying is done with reservations less than two weeks out. As full as the planes are these days even with platinum status on Delta that generally means a bad seat selection. Also I'm like Northwest I have minimal chance for upgrade. flying is done with reservations less than two weeks out. As full as the planes are these days even with platinum status on Delta that generally means a bad seat selection. Also I'm like Northwest I have minimal chance for upgrade. With Southwest a list, I always have and I'll seat generally bulkhead or exit row. Having experienced the open seating policy of Southwest and how fast they can turn their planes, I do not see myself going back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.