Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The obsession with alcohol - Part 2

The obsession with alcohol - Part 2

Old Jun 25, 15, 5:14 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Posts: 1,293
The obsession with alcohol - Part 2

Airlines could ban drunk passengers for life. What a great idea, and not before time:

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...-10344326.html

Airlines could ban drunk passengers from flying with them for life in a crackdown on incidents they say could endanger lives.

Budget carrier Jet2 has introduced the measure and other companies are expected to follow suit under a new industry-wide code of conduct.

Phil Ward, Jet2’s managing director, said his company would not allow the “disruptive few” to spoil flights for families and holidaymakers.

He told The Times he had seen passengers swigging from cans of lager at 5.30am in Manchester Airport and was concerned about “pre-loading” before flights.

“The plane is not a nightclub,” he added. “It’s six miles up and going at 500mph so you can’t step outside to get some fresh air.”

Jet2 said disorderly behaviour by travellers who get drunk before they even board flights has risen “drastically” in the last two years.
I hope all airlines adopt this measure to make flying safer for the rest of us who don't need to get obliterated through alcohol before a flight.
rumbataz is offline  
Old Jun 25, 15, 5:29 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SMF
Programs: Hilton Gold-Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,013
Originally Posted by rumbataz View Post
Airlines could ban drunk passengers for life. What a great idea, and not before time:

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...-10344326.html


Quote:




Airlines could ban drunk passengers from flying with them for life in a crackdown on incidents they say could endanger lives.

Budget carrier Jet2 has introduced the measure and other companies are expected to follow suit under a new industry-wide code of conduct.

Phil Ward, Jet2’s managing director, said his company would not allow the “disruptive few” to spoil flights for families and holidaymakers.

He told The Times he had seen passengers swigging from cans of lager at 5.30am in Manchester Airport and was concerned about “pre-loading” before flights.

“The plane is not a nightclub,” he added. “It’s six miles up and going at 500mph so you can’t step outside to get some fresh air.”

Jet2 said disorderly behaviour by travellers who get drunk before they even board flights has risen “drastically” in the last two years.




I hope all airlines adopt this measure to make flying safer for the rest of us who don't need to get obliterated through alcohol before a flight.
o

+1
mike2200 is offline  
Old Jun 25, 15, 5:55 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Posts: 24,531
Why are we having this anti-alcohol rant again???
LondonElite is online now  
Old Jun 25, 15, 6:23 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SMF
Programs: Hilton Gold-Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,013
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Why are we having this anti-alcohol rant again???
Anti-alcohol rant? Seems like an anti-drunks on airplanes comment
mike2200 is offline  
Old Jun 25, 15, 6:55 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Anwhere ex-MAN
Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Posts: 2,706
I had the pleasure of MAN T3 last week getting the 06:00 to AMS.

The place was crawling with Stags and Hens getting a head start on their hangovers. I was pleased that none were on KLM, all the early AM drinkers appeared to be on Ryanair flights, judging by the BPs I could see.

There's no need to get drunk before a flight, especially at that time in the morning, and it should not be tolerated by families.

Have I drunk at 6am? Yes - though normally as a result of starting the night before and never in the airport!
MAN Pax is offline  
Old Jun 25, 15, 7:45 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 17,649
I'm all for not serving obnoxious drunks on planes.

With that said, I've seldom encountered any obnoxious drunks on planes. Some people in festive moods on the way to, or from, resort sites or Las Vegas, sure. But not drunks.

Sorry the OP has had so much worse luck, and hoping it improves.
MaxBuck is online now  
Old Jun 25, 15, 7:48 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: south of WAS DC
Posts: 10,131
who is going to be the decider?

throw off J2 in manchester is one thing, thrown off UA at iAd is another.
slawecki is offline  
Old Jun 25, 15, 7:51 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Anwhere ex-MAN
Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Posts: 2,706
Originally Posted by slawecki View Post
throw off J2 in manchester is one thing, thrown off UA at iAd is another.
What's the difference?
MAN Pax is offline  
Old Jun 25, 15, 8:39 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 461
I find "drunk passenger" offensive. The term is Libation Managed Traveler (LMT).

I am an LMT and we are going to have splendid conversion from gear up to gear down. Tell you all about my pets, my anime collection, and my inner journey to becoming a vegan after watching this one documentary. We're going to have a great time, Buddy!
Fleck is offline  
Old Jun 25, 15, 8:40 am
  #10  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: MCI
Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Posts: 47,248
Is it me, or do a huge percentage of drunk passenger media reports involve a flight to or from Manchester?
pinniped is online now  
Old Jun 25, 15, 8:44 am
  #11  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: MCI
Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Posts: 47,248
Originally Posted by MAN Pax View Post
What's the difference?
Getting banned by J2 wouldn't exactly be the end of the world. Getting banned by a major-alliance player would make your life quite difficult. For the Manchester-based passenger, getting banned by BA would be comparable to the Dulles-based passenger getting banned by UA. You'd find a way to travel, but it would make everything that much more difficult.

But no, I wouldn't take this as a license to be a total d-bag on the local ULCC.
pinniped is online now  
Old Jun 25, 15, 8:48 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 461
Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
Is it me, or do a huge percentage of drunk passenger media reports involve a flight to or from Manchester?
Sir, please, that's very insensitive.

However, if you are suggesting sports hooliganry at play, I would concur.
Fleck is offline  
Old Jun 25, 15, 10:10 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Frisco, TX
Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Posts: 18,435
Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
Is it me, or do a huge percentage of drunk passenger media reports involve a flight to or from Manchester?
LOL Right? It seems to usually be the charter types too...Thomas Cook, etc. Bunch of drunk eastenders
enviroian is online now  
Old Jun 25, 15, 10:21 am
  #14  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: MCI
Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Posts: 47,248
When you Google "drunk passenger", Manchester Airport is one of your autocomplete choices.

There are a few good stories there. One of them was a New York to Qatar flight that diverted to Manchester to offload a drunk. See what I mean? Even flying near that place causes people to lose control of their liquor!!
pinniped is online now  
Old Jun 25, 15, 10:36 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: ORD
Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum
Posts: 226
I travel 150k+ a year, which I'm sure is a lot less than some people here, but a lot in my book.

I usually go internationally, which has a great potential for alcohol abuse due to all of the free liquor. I NEVER see drunk travelers. I see people that are very friendly and more talkative, but it could be out of boredom or it could be an alcohol buzz. Who knows?

I also see people drinking quite a bit, but everyone on every single flight I've been on seems to stop before getting drunk.

Is this really a big deal?? I could see complaining if it were happening every other flight, but the way people go on about it, you would think it were a constant problem.

Trust me.. if this were a major deal in any way, the airlines would stop filling my wine glass so frequently on the flights.
burbuja0512 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: