The obsession with alcohol - Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2015, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue

Airlines could ban drunk passengers for life. What a great idea, and not before time:

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...-10344326.html

Airlines could ban drunk passengers from flying with them for life in a crackdown on incidents they say could endanger lives.

Budget carrier Jet2 has introduced the measure and other companies are expected to follow suit under a new industry-wide code of conduct.

Phil Ward, Jet2’s managing director, said his company would not allow the “disruptive few” to spoil flights for families and holidaymakers.

He told The Times he had seen passengers swigging from cans of lager at 5.30am in Manchester Airport and was concerned about “pre-loading” before flights.

“The plane is not a nightclub,” he added. “It’s six miles up and going at 500mph so you can’t step outside to get some fresh air.”

Jet2 said disorderly behaviour by travellers who get drunk before they even board flights has risen “drastically” in the last two years.
I hope all airlines adopt this measure to make flying safer for the rest of us who don't need to get obliterated through alcohol before a flight.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 4:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Originally Posted by rumbataz
Airlines could ban drunk passengers for life. What a great idea, and not before time:

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...-10344326.html

Quote:

Airlines could ban drunk passengers from flying with them for life in a crackdown on incidents they say could endanger lives.

Budget carrier Jet2 has introduced the measure and other companies are expected to follow suit under a new industry-wide code of conduct.

Phil Ward, Jet2’s managing director, said his company would not allow the “disruptive few” to spoil flights for families and holidaymakers.

He told The Times he had seen passengers swigging from cans of lager at 5.30am in Manchester Airport and was concerned about “pre-loading” before flights.

“The plane is not a nightclub,” he added. “It’s six miles up and going at 500mph so you can’t step outside to get some fresh air.”

Jet2 said disorderly behaviour by travellers who get drunk before they even board flights has risen “drastically” in the last two years.

I hope all airlines adopt this measure to make flying safer for the rest of us who don't need to get obliterated through alcohol before a flight.
o

+1
Old Jun 25, 2015, 4:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Why are we having this anti-alcohol rant again???
Old Jun 25, 2015, 5:23 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Why are we having this anti-alcohol rant again???
Anti-alcohol rant? Seems like an anti-drunks on airplanes comment
Old Jun 25, 2015, 5:55 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
I had the pleasure of MAN T3 last week getting the 06:00 to AMS.

The place was crawling with Stags and Hens getting a head start on their hangovers. I was pleased that none were on KLM, all the early AM drinkers appeared to be on Ryanair flights, judging by the BPs I could see.

There's no need to get drunk before a flight, especially at that time in the morning, and it should not be tolerated by families.

Have I drunk at 6am? Yes - though normally as a result of starting the night before and never in the airport!
Old Jun 25, 2015, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm all for not serving obnoxious drunks on planes.

With that said, I've seldom encountered any obnoxious drunks on planes. Some people in festive moods on the way to, or from, resort sites or Las Vegas, sure. But not drunks.

Sorry the OP has had so much worse luck, and hoping it improves.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

who is going to be the decider?

throw off J2 in manchester is one thing, thrown off UA at iAd is another.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by slawecki
throw off J2 in manchester is one thing, thrown off UA at iAd is another.
What's the difference?
Old Jun 25, 2015, 7:39 am

I find "drunk passenger" offensive. The term is Libation Managed Traveler (LMT).

I am an LMT and we are going to have splendid conversion from gear up to gear down. Tell you all about my pets, my anime collection, and my inner journey to becoming a vegan after watching this one documentary. We're going to have a great time, Buddy!
Old Jun 25, 2015, 7:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Is it me, or do a huge percentage of drunk passenger media reports involve a flight to or from Manchester?
Old Jun 25, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MAN Pax
What's the difference?
Getting banned by J2 wouldn't exactly be the end of the world. Getting banned by a major-alliance player would make your life quite difficult. For the Manchester-based passenger, getting banned by BA would be comparable to the Dulles-based passenger getting banned by UA. You'd find a way to travel, but it would make everything that much more difficult.

But no, I wouldn't take this as a license to be a total d-bag on the local ULCC.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
Is it me, or do a huge percentage of drunk passenger media reports involve a flight to or from Manchester?
Sir, please, that's very insensitive.

However, if you are suggesting sports hooliganry at play, I would concur.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by pinniped
LOL Right? It seems to usually be the charter types too...Thomas Cook, etc. Bunch of drunk eastenders
Old Jun 25, 2015, 9:21 am

When you Google "drunk passenger", Manchester Airport is one of your autocomplete choices.

There are a few good stories there. One of them was a New York to Qatar flight that diverted to Manchester to offload a drunk. See what I mean? Even flying near that place causes people to lose control of their liquor!!
Old Jun 25, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum
I travel 150k+ a year, which I'm sure is a lot less than some people here, but a lot in my book.

I usually go internationally, which has a great potential for alcohol abuse due to all of the free liquor. I NEVER see drunk travelers. I see people that are very friendly and more talkative, but it could be out of boredom or it could be an alcohol buzz. Who knows?

I also see people drinking quite a bit, but everyone on every single flight I've been on seems to stop before getting drunk.

Is this really a big deal?? I could see complaining if it were happening every other flight, but the way people go on about it, you would think it were a constant problem.

Trust me.. if this were a major deal in any way, the airlines would stop filling my wine glass so frequently on the flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.