Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why are airfare prices so high, despite low oil prices?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are airfare prices so high, despite low oil prices?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2015, 10:50 am

I've been searching airfares for travel between S. FL and Cal. If I traveled on the right days, I used to get RT $200 or so. The cheapest I'm finding now on Spirit, which I'm not comfortable with, is $450 RT, airlines I would use are $550 +. Not sure if it's worth cashing in FF miles or just paying these high fares...or waiting it out until the last minute to see if they go down or not. Ugh.
Old May 23, 2015, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Airfare isn't necessarily high (although it sure does seem like it), but I do think it is too high for what you are getting.
Old May 23, 2015, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by mgoes2
I've been searching airfares for travel between S. FL and Cal. If I traveled on the right days, I used to get RT $200 or so. The cheapest I'm finding now on Spirit, which I'm not comfortable with, is $450 RT, airlines I would use are $550 +. Not sure if it's worth cashing in FF miles or just paying these high fares...or waiting it out until the last minute to see if they go down or not. Ugh.
You're not doing something right...I just flew LAX-MIA-NAS return for $430 on AA...if I look right now for LAX-MIA return I am getting fares in the low 300s on AA throughout Aug and Sept. I personally think air travel is dirt cheap right now, just look at some of the fares in the mileage run forum! I grabbed a LAX-GRU for $465 return in a couple weeks. That's ridiculous!
Old Nov 30, 2015, 2:55 am

Programs: CX Gold
Air fares still high despite huge drop in fuel prices

I know fuel cost comprise a huge percentage in an airline's operating costs, but why didn't ticket prices reflect the drop in fuel prices?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:04 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum

People are still paying for the tickets at this price level so no incentive for airlines to drop them... They'll take the additional profit as long as people continue to buy.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Demand/Supply, rather than cost-plus is the business model.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 6:00 am

Seems people are willing to buy and seat occupation is good, so no incentive for airlines to lower the ticket prices. More money for stack holders...
Old Nov 30, 2015, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by boybi
I know fuel cost comprise a huge percentage in an airline's operating costs, but why didn't ticket prices reflect the drop in fuel prices?
Because with reduced competition and capacity they don't have to. If you were in the cookie business, and selling every cookie you made every day at $2.00 per cookie, why would you drop your price to $1.00 per cookie? Regardless of the cost of your baking ingredients.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Airlines unfortunately (for passengers) and fortunately (for management and stock holders) have learned capacity control. Good in some ways because it might mean more frequencies and larger RJ's (E175's compared to CRJ-200's) but bad because that means the ticket prices won't go down much and in some cases frequencies are cut/smaller aircraft (as in less domestic widebodies).
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by boybi
Because the airplane's are (nearly) full. A business does not lower prices when they are already selling out their supply of product.

The way that lower costs lead to reduced fares is that airlines will add more capacity (they already are doing so) due to the lower costs. When this additional capacity comes online the fares will drop to keep it (nearly) full.

A restaurant or supermarket can make quick adjustments in supply when their costs, or market demand, changes. It takes a lot of time and money to acquire new (or used) airplanes or to economically remove aircraft from service. New aircraft also come with long-term commitments so an airline must be convinced that it will be able to deploy the new capacity profitably for the duration of that commitment.

In the case of current fuel prices, there isn't any guarantee that the current low prices will last for an extended period of time. In fact, the chances are good that fuel will be significantly more expensive than today when any aircraft ordered today are delivered.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Airfares are high? I can hardly remember them ever being this cheap.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by mikekelley
Airfares are high? I can hardly remember them ever being this cheap.
There's been a slight dip this fall, but US fares rose 31 percent 2009-2014, commensurate with reduced competition and capacity:

http://wjla.com/news/business/airfar...l-costs-109458
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:58 pm

When the price of coffee drops 30%, does Starbucks lower the $6 cup of coffee by 30%? No.
Works the same way for airlines and fuel.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by schranerli
Seems people are willing to buy and seat occupation is good, so no incentive for airlines to lower the ticket prices. More money for stack holders...
Originally Posted by BearX220
Because with reduced competition and capacity they don't have to. If you were in the cookie business, and selling every cookie you made every day at $2.00 per cookie, why would you drop your price to $1.00 per cookie? Regardless of the cost of your baking ingredients.
A lot of people don't get this. This is called "The Market". As long as customers are willing to pay the price you're asking then you're asking the right price. In fact, with planes flying full there is an incentive to raise prices a bit more.

Air line tickets are never priced on a "Cost Plus" basis. This is the same argument that the Hidden City flyers like to use. But it's not true. Tickets are priced on the "whatever the market will bear" basis. And that is not a negative. It's a good thing.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
There's been a slight dip this fall, but US fares rose 31 percent 2009-2014, commensurate with reduced competition and capacity:

http://wjla.com/news/business/airfar...l-costs-109458
Lies, damn lies and statistics.

Look at the 10 years before that, and don't think that US fares are necessarily representative of elsewhere.

http://www.planetickets.com/airfare.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.