Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why are airfare prices so high, despite low oil prices?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2015, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Hi! I'm new here so if this has been talked about before sorry. I've been planning a flight for My wife and me from BQN to JFK in August and the price will Not go below 410 pp r/t. With oil prices Way Down I think that's really expensive. I was just wondering why prices are still so expensive and should I Walt to see if the prices go down or should I book now? Thank you very much for your help.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Fuel is only a small fraction of an airlines costs.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Supply and demand and market competition.

When you buy it depends on your risk aversion: it may come down but it's likely it will go up since you are looking to travel at the end of summer demand is still high. If you need to travel on set dates and you can afford it, I'd buy it right now instead of waiting.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Why are airfare prices so high?

$400 round trip from PR to NYC is too expensive? I think it could be much worse imho
Old Apr 11, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum
LOL compare it to the price you pay for a taxi from the airport to your hotel and it's a BARGAIN!!!
Old Apr 11, 2015, 3:23 pm
formerly bdohmen

Programs: Still dealing with the loss of my BA Concorde Room Card
Why are airfare prices so high?

I paid 670 for PHL/VQS and it was the cheapest I could find so ~$400 is a steal.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 3:57 pm

You ask why prices GENERALLY high?

People pay the current prices. Therefore, airfare is not generally too high and there is no reason why for this non-existent situation.

This "it's too expensive" complaint reminds me of people bellyaching about tickets to sporting events. If they sell out the arena, the price can't possibly be too high. UNLESS you want to take the position that a business should deliberately sell something for less than people are willing to pay.

Originally Posted by burbuja0512
LOL compare it to the price you pay for a taxi from the airport to your hotel and it's a BARGAIN!!!
Ding ding. I've had transcon R/T flights that cost less than a single one way 30 mile taxi fare. Compare the OH costs between taxis and airlines, the cost of a taxi versus the cost of a plane, the labor, the pensions, the security, the liability, etc., etc., etc.

IMO, airfare is generally cheap.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
$410 seems reasonable....

Prices in general are up because mergers lead to less competition.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 4:20 pm

Deleted

Last edited by brendog; Oct 26, 2015 at 10:01 am
Old Apr 11, 2015, 7:59 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Originally Posted by brendog
Adjusted for inflation, air travel is far cheaper than it was 30 years ago.
It is, but then air travel is far more expensive than it was 5~10 years ago.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Domestic fares are a lot higher these days thanks to industry consolidation, NW & DL, UA & CO, US & AA, WN & FL. Not a single one of these has led to any benefit to consumers, instead now fares domestically are much higher than 5-10 years ago and fees have gone haywire. With little competition and "capacity discipline" its much easier for them to get away with than when we had a much wider choice of carriers. Oil prices have only brought down international fares that used to have big YQ charges.
Old May 8, 2015, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Thank you very much everybody. really appreciate your help!
Old May 8, 2015, 8:42 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Supply and demand. The airplanes are full.
Old May 8, 2015, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by hutat
Hi! I'm new here so if this has been talked about before sorry. I've been planning a flight for My wife and me from BQN to JFK in August and the price will Not go below 410 pp r/t. With oil prices Way Down I think that's really expensive.
IMHO, you should be quite happy to pay $410 for a 1,500+ mile flight. I'm paying $405 or higher, weekly, for 268 miles PIT-PHL.

Just for background:
Aircraft used for a route like this typically get 100'ish passenger-miles per gallon. So the flight uses about 15 gallons of fuel for your one seat/ticket. Jet fuel prices from a year ago to now dropped about $1. So fuel costs would enable about $15 in savings.

Supply/Demand is a much more powerful influence on price.
Old May 8, 2015, 11:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You can't drive, so comparing 1500 miles X 2 at 30 miles per gallon or 100 gallons of gasoline at $3.50 per gallon to get an estimated cost of driving RT of $350 plus two nights hotel in each direction plus your time would be irrelevant. Still, in this case, the hypothetical cost of gasoline for driving (not even counting depreciation on the vehicle or using the IRS rate of about fifty cents per mile) plus four hotel nights makes it look like two RT airfares are roughly the same price as driving costs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.