Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Price Discrimination Based upon National Origin

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Price Discrimination Based upon National Origin

Hello! When attempting to book a flight on an American legacy carrier, I was told that the sales price was limited to passport holders of another country. I believe price discrimination based upon national origin is illegal in Europe. Is it illegal in the US? The restriction was also not mentioned in the ad.

I am in the process of drafting a complaint letter. Currently, my draft contains the following:
  • explanation of the situation
  • statement declaring situation to be unacceptable
  • desire to solve this issue quickly by having an agent help book a ticket at the sales price
  • cease price discrimination based upon national origin for current and future campaigns
Any advice or recommendations on the complaint letter (edits or additions)? Would complaints with the DOT's AirConsumer website, the BBB, or even the FTC be appropriate and/or effective?

Thanks!

Update 1: I apologize for the delay in responding. I appreciate everyone's thoughts on the matter.
Update 2: Pictures of deal: http://imgur.com/a/c60TU Please note I was browsing the English version of the US website (from the URL in the pictures).

Last edited by WhiteLightsLeadToRedLights; Apr 1, 2015 at 1:07 am Reason: Provided update
Old Mar 24, 2015, 5:38 pm

Programs: *G
no idea about europe or us - although i would imgine so.

it is not illegal however in places like nepal and i dont disagree
Old Mar 24, 2015, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by WhiteLightsLeadToRedLights
Hello! When attempting to book a flight on an American legacy carrier, I was told that the sales price was limited to passport holders of another country. I believe price discrimination based upon national origin is illegal in Europe. Is it illegal in the US? The restriction was also not mentioned in the ad.

I am in the process of drafting a complaint letter. Currently, my draft contains the following:
  • desire to solve this issue quickly by having an agent help book a ticket at the sales price
  • cease price discrimination based upon national origin for current and future campaigns
Any advice or recommendations on the complaint letter (edits or additions)? Would complaints with the DOT's AirConsumer website, the BBB, or even the FTC be appropriate and/or effective?

Thanks!
International travel often has different price structures based on citizenship. Countries will give subsidies to airlines to bring in international tourists and those don't apply to their own citizens.

Plus there is a whole lot of difference between discriminating against people based on national "origin" and on national "citizenship". First is basically racism. Second isn't.

I think you're barking up a wrong tree, here.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
There is dual tier pricing in the travel industry all over the world. Please give specifics as to actual airline and route so we can give you better information. In a case like this is see no justification for fear if the airline reads it here or not. If they are offering prices that way then I'm sure they have a good reason and sound legal advice on their ability to do so.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:47 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Thanks!
In which country was the desired trip originating? Which country was the point of sale?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 5:25 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Hello! When attempting to book a flight on an American legacy carrier, I was told that the sales price was limited to passport holders of another country. I believe price discrimination based upon national origin is illegal in Europe.
I suspect that what you mean is discrimination between EU member state citizenships is illegal in Europe. Depending on which laws apply, I wouldn't be surprised if discriminating between EU and non-EU citizens were legal.

Anyways, that was an annoyingly cryptic post. If you're going to want actual input from people you're going to have to be a bit more precise.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 5:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Details of route? Specifically origin and destination please.

OP alludes to this being some special "sale" price. How is it advertised? What do the ads say about the individuals to whom it is restricted?

Some Latin American countries have cheaper fares that are restricted AFAIK to their own citizens and permanent residents. Argentina is an example.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 7:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I suspect that what you mean is discrimination between EU member state citizenships is illegal in Europe. Depending on which laws apply, I wouldn't be surprised if discriminating between EU and non-EU citizens were legal.

Anyways, that was an annoyingly cryptic post. If you're going to want actual input from people you're going to have to be a bit more precise.
+1
Old Mar 25, 2015, 7:42 am

...and by the time it is all sorted out the sale will be over
rendering the whole thing moot anyway.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Many carriers make special fares and deals available to to residents of only certain regions or countries. Examples include Eurail Pass for US residents.

This is not discrimination for reasons of national origin. It is price discrimination which is based on the market.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

I'm wondering if this isn't someone who wasn't from Denmark and is looking for yet another crack at a $50 First Class ticket.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Often1
Many carriers make special fares and deals available to to residents of only certain regions or countries. Examples include Eurail Pass for US residents.

This is not discrimination for reasons of national origin. It is price discrimination which is based on the market.
and also the Japan rail pass
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:41 pm

China

I have a friend of a friend (pretty reliable) who was travelling to China on a tour from the US from a Chinatown travel agent. He and his girlfriend were travelling together - he had to pay more because he was not Chinese.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:48 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I have a friend of a friend (pretty reliable) who was travelling to China on a tour from the US from a Chinatown travel agent. He and his girlfriend were travelling together - he had to pay more because he was not Chinese.
It would be surprising it he would pay the same...
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:56 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
This was probably one of those Chinese government sponsored tours aimed at spreading their propaganda to ethnic Chinese overseas by showing them how "China has changed and is a lot better from since you left or what your parents told you about". Sometimes they offer these tours for $99 or $199 etc. These tours tend to be offered only with Mandarin speaking tour guides. As your friend was not Chinese (while his girlfriend was), he probably had to pay more as his portion was not subsidized by the Chinese government and presumably had to pay more for a tour guide that also spoke English.

If your friend joined a private tour that was not Chinese government sponsored then the price would have been the same for everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.