FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Price Discrimination Based upon National Origin
Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:51 pm
WhiteLightsLeadToRedLights

Price Discrimination Based upon National Origin

Hello! When attempting to book a flight on an American legacy carrier, I was told that the sales price was limited to passport holders of another country. I believe price discrimination based upon national origin is illegal in Europe. Is it illegal in the US? The restriction was also not mentioned in the ad.

I am in the process of drafting a complaint letter. Currently, my draft contains the following:
  • explanation of the situation
  • statement declaring situation to be unacceptable
  • desire to solve this issue quickly by having an agent help book a ticket at the sales price
  • cease price discrimination based upon national origin for current and future campaigns
Any advice or recommendations on the complaint letter (edits or additions)? Would complaints with the DOT's AirConsumer website, the BBB, or even the FTC be appropriate and/or effective?

Thanks!

Update 1: I apologize for the delay in responding. I appreciate everyone's thoughts on the matter.
Update 2: Pictures of deal: http://imgur.com/a/c60TU Please note I was browsing the English version of the US website (from the URL in the pictures).

Last edited by WhiteLightsLeadToRedLights; Apr 1, 2015 at 1:07 am Reason: Provided update