The Hotel Snob

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Hotel Snob

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
The Hotel Snob

I just had an unpleasant experience that made me wonder about something.

I took a trip with a woman. I booked a 3.5 star hotel on Hotwire that turned out to be an Embassy Suites. She repeatedly kept putting down the Embassy Suites, implying she was making such a sacrifice to stay there. She described herself as a "hotel snob" and said she would have much preferred to stay at the Ritz Carlton. (By coincidence, it was the same Ritz Carlton that I stayed at for my one an only stay at a RC, which was when I got married in 1992.)

Let me give my entirely personal perspective. Now, my profile describes me as "getting too old and cranky to sit in coach if I can help it." I am starting to get a little claustrophobic in coach. If I had to go overseas, I'd probably stay home if I couldn't fly at least premium economy. Domestically, I have a lot of FF miles. I'm flying to Vegas next week, on my last fumes of elite status earned almost two years ago, in coach but at least exit row. I'm not a snob, just coach is too damn cramped.

But when it comes to hotels - OK, here's my perspective. I'm a reasonably frugal traveler, so I rarely order room service. I don't like a crappy bed with crappy sheets and a shower that looks like it's from a locker room and towels you can see through. I like a bed, a bathroom, a sofa that are at least comparable to what I have at home.

But I don't need more than that. The woman I was with said she had stayed at that Ritz Carlton 4 times, and the staff call her by name. I didn't get the impression it was 4 week-long stays in the past 6 months. Maybe that's part of what they sell there, the sizzle. Yes I've read the stories about guests who want a jar of M&M's, all blue. Or a particular present for their dog. Maybe if you have to get into the hottest restaurant or hottest club, it's nice to have a concierge with pull. If you stumble in at 3AM and just have to have a big plate of greasy fries with lots of ketchup, I'll bet the Ritz can whip it up in 15 minutes.

I've stayed a few times in what people would call luxury hotels. My wedding, when I had lots more on my mind than the hotel room. A few conventions at pretty pricey resorts like The Breakers. I stayed once on points at the Park Hyatt Vendome in Paris. Nice, nice to get water and ice twice a day, but other than that and the nice breakfast buffet (for 43 euros, but we wangled it free 4 of the 6 days we were there), not much nicer to me than Embassy Suites.

So, without in any way dismissing people's perspectives, I'd be curious to know what people find in a 5-star (or 6-star, for that matter) hotel they don't find in an Embassy Suites. Or, say, a Hilton or Marriott, because the food & beverage service at Embassy Suites can be a little limited I guess. I'm sure there are people out there who run right from their middle seat in coach to the Four Seasons. I'd enjoy hearing your thoughts.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
She sounds like she suffers from what here on FT is called DYKWIA syndrome.

Why do people spend tens of thousands of dollars on a Rolex when a $150 Casio keeps just as good time? To show off.

I'm with you. A comfortable, quiet room, a comfortable bed, good service, and I'm happy. I actually dislike the overly unctuous treatment some of the "luxury" places force on you.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by redtop43
I've stayed a few times in what people would call luxury hotels. My wedding, when I had lots more on my mind than the hotel room. A few conventions at pretty pricey resorts like The Breakers. I stayed once on points at the Park Hyatt Vendome in Paris. Nice, nice to get water and ice twice a day, but other than that and the nice breakfast buffet (for 43 euros, but we wangled it free 4 of the 6 days we were there), not much nicer to me than Embassy Suites.
If you think the Park Hyatt Vendome is "not much nicer" than an Embassy Suites, then I can see why a luxury hotel does nothing for you. More power to you, but I don't think we'd get along very well.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 6:05 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Unless you intended to get a reaction, you may have chosen the wrong forum for the post.

Being younger than some of my fellow forum members, I pick the form of hotel appropriate to my trip.

When on business it's 4*, when travelling for pleasure in cities it's 5* but when in rural South East Asia it's usually a youth hostel. Understandably, some people do get acclimatized to certain levels of service and might not be so happy "slumming it" compared to what they're used to. It sounds like the "woman" you travelled with (that sounds pretty dodgy btw) was either just not very good at keeping her thoughts to herself or she was trying to demonstrate "value" to you.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:57 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

As this only refers to luxury hotels in passing and is also not really about a specific location or a particular chain, I am moving this thread to Travel Buzz where it may get a more broad-based response.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:27 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
If she really wants to stay in a Ritz Carlton, she could have booked it herself? Or at least expressed her 'snobbery' before you even booked the room.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP
She sounds like a giant insufferable ta-whaaaat Ridiculous behavior, no matter how you slice it
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:29 pm

I am one who does not get much value out of anything above nice, mid-tier, hotels. A clean Hampton Inn is plenty nice for me, and additional money spent for a better tier is not a good value, for me.

I agree that the money is better spent on exit rows, premium economy or business, etc. I also agree that putting down an Embassy Suites is a bit snobby. It is sort of like putting down a new Camry in favor of a BMW. Sure the latter is better, but to complain seems snobby.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by redtop43
She repeatedly kept putting down the Embassy Suites, implying she was making such a sacrifice to stay there. She described herself as a "hotel snob" and said she would have much preferred to stay at the Ritz Carlton.
I had a business colleague like this with whom I endured occasional roadtrips; she was insufferable. Anything mainstream, however competent, was beneath her. The odd thing was, she was most naive and uninformed on many fronts; she held ignorant, reactionary political views and did not understand or care about current events; she was just tuned into superficial status symbols on a really elemental level. (She also drove a BMW 3-series for years believing it was front-wheel-drive.)

Count me with those who find five-star service suffocating and unnecessary. It doesn't do anything for my ego, it just makes me self-conscious. I like well-kept, anonymous Hyatts and Marriotts.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 2:33 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
The Hotel Snob

Having just endured 6 nights in a Conrad, I can empathize
Old Nov 27, 2014, 2:48 am

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
I used to think that those five star hotels had a reason for costing so much more, but after staying at them, I couldn't help feeling ripped off. The concierges always gave me bad recommendations so I just defer to a combination of asking and checking Tripadvisor. For the difference in price, you aren't getting anything more. Most of the time, I care most about a comfortable mattress, good Heat/AC, and the other things besides the room that the hotel offers like a good fitness center. I've had better less cold service at some of the smaller hotels. Although, Embassy Suites tend to be a bit older and run down now in most locations and still pretty expensive. I prefer Residence Inn, Springhill Suites, Marriott, Hilton, Renaissance, boutique hotels, and B&Bs over the Ritz and Four Seasons. They just have very good brand value, but in reality aren't that much different.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 2:54 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Why do people spend tens of thousands of dollars on a Rolex when a $150 Casio keeps just as good time? To show off.
$150 Casio? I'd go for a $10 generic watch. It keeps time just as well as a Casio (or a Rolex, for that matter).

However, I think your answer is perfect. Everyone has certain things they want to splurge on, whether it's a car, a handbag, or a hotel room.

Depending on OP's relationship with this woman, there are several possibilities. If she is a business colleague, then she is probably just high maintenance and is used to having the best of everything. If she is a friend, then she is likely just trying to show off her wealth and status. If she is a prospective romantic partner, then he should run away fast
Old Nov 27, 2014, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
She sounds like she suffers from what here on FT is called DYKWIA syndrome.

I'm with you. A comfortable, quiet room, a comfortable bed, good service, and I'm happy. I actually dislike the overly unctuous treatment some of the "luxury" places force on you.
+1
But $150 for a watch? I wear a $10 watch that I bought after selling a 20K watch bought in my younger immature days. It keeps great time and I can actually read the dial, unlike the 20K watch.
As for the unctuous treatment, I'm with you. I have stayed at a Four Seasons hotel only once, and it gave me the absolute creeps every time I walked through the lobby and some employee called me by name.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 4:14 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by 747FC
Having just endured 6 nights in a Conrad, I can empathize
Was it the one in Istanbul? A Conrad in name only!
Old Nov 27, 2014, 6:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA PLT, DL Silver
My wife's favorite hotel is the Embassy Suites...

...that breakfast buffet is the winning ingredient.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.