Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

A request for the gentlemen re in-flight lavs.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A request for the gentlemen re in-flight lavs.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: Delta, United
The lavs on planes are pretty much flying outhouses.

Originally Posted by 9elf S
I find the two-handed approach to work well. One hand to aim and the other braced against the "bulkhead" above the toilet.
That is particularly true for those who are taller than 5'6" as one can hardly standup straight in many lavs. Half the time I feel like I am trying to do the limbo while aiming.

The real mystery for me is the puddle in front of the urinal in airport restrooms.
In my office we had that problem. I half jokingly put up a sign saying:

Urinals are pissing in, floors are for stand on. Quit pissing on the floor. And don't stand in the urinal either.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold; IHG Spire Elite
I feel like I have a newfound appreciation for the challenges of peeing-while-male. Probably still preferable to having to sit all of the time, but still.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k MM, KLM Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar

That is particularly true for those who are taller than 5'6" as one can hardly standup straight in many lavs. Half the time I feel like I am trying to do the limbo while aiming.
I laughed at this. My husband said something similar when I told him about my flight. I guess a certain distance is helpful. Who knew.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jewels421
I feel like I have a newfound appreciation for the challenges of peeing-while-male. Probably still preferable to having to sit all of the time, but still.
I actually appreciate being a female when using plane lavatories, especially when there's turbulence.

Also valuable when one is horribly drunk. Or so I hear
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by jewels421
I have a few times idly wondered (after trips to particularly gross lavs) whether it's an explicit part of the FAs' job to keep the lavs in somewhat respectable condition during flights. Do they check for puddles/trash every so often? Are they supposed to? I don't expect a full-on cleaning, but if there's an issue with the condition of the lav, who else is going to address it during the flight?
on some Asian airlines they do (premium class presumed)
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:08 pm

i have in the past taken it on myself to "tidy" up the restroom before leaving it, even if the mess isn't mine, per se. and i will say from those experiences, that in the process of thoroughly washing my hands that "puddles" re-appear....leaving me to realize that sometimes (thankfully) the wet floor is just a function of a small, poorly designed sink.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:51 pm

forgive me if this is obvious, but why is there a requirement that one has to stand to urinate?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:24 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by s0ssos
forgive me if this is obvious, but why is there a requirement that one has to stand to urinate?
No requirement to stand, but there is one to sit for sitzpinklers.

BTW I know several women who are quite proficient at peeing whilst standing. ^

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Oct 20, 2014 at 9:23 pm
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
I guess no more than paper refill. Never seen a FA actively cleaning the lavs, and I'd say rightfully so. Their task is different.
I have, but on non-US airlines. I've seen them continually checking the lavs and going to such lengths as wiping down the area where people push to open the door.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: *G
I find the two-handed approach to work well. One hand to aim and the other braced against the "bulkhead" above the toilet. The real mystery for me is the puddle in front of the urinal in airport restrooms.
90% of urinals I see in N.Am have splash issues. Its the simplest of design solution I don't see why better urinals aren't more prevalent
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: *G
on some Asian airlines they do (premium class presumed)
While its nice its also a bit embarrassing to have someone immediately come in to clean up your immediate mess....

Minimal body-to-foreign-surface contact if can be avoided
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I thought the premium toilets were cleaned after each passenger. I've never had a messy one. Many times when I have gotten up to go to the toilet a FA has scurried ahead of me to check the loo and hold open the door for me.

Guys If you do pee on the floor... clean it up. Yuck.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 5:55 am
Original Poster

There isn't, but being a female I try to stand as much as possible in public restrooms when there isn't a disposable seat cover available. Also acquired some practice after many trips to Japan, where often the only toilets available are "traditional" ceramic holes on the floor, requiring one to squat always. It's great toning for the legs

Unfortunately, the issue here was not the toilet seat but the entire floor of the lav. I can pee standing up, but I can't levitate.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Jade_BR
Also valuable when one is horribly drunk. Or so I hear
Or in the middle of the night. I find sitting to be much simpler than trying to aim in the dark while barely even half awake. My wife also appreciates it
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by contecsa
Some airlines have dedicated male female lavs which wouldn't work on narrow body aircraft.
Would love this, no more lines to use the lav.

Originally Posted by sgfood
Knowing this happens frequently I'm absolutely amazed at the number of passengers going to the restroom in their bare feet or just socks, This seems to happen more on internationals the later the flight gets.
Originally Posted by Houston.Business
Let's be realistic too. Yes, I've had my share of blind aiming, but some women aren't all that innocent either. No one want's to sit on a strange toilet seat, and a few of the ladies bend over and take some wild shots themselves.
Indeed. Reminded me of this.

Originally Posted by Houston.Business
Either way, people have to clean up after themselves. And yes, I've stopped and reminded countless people heading to the lav in their socks.
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.