Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page >

hotel rooms for family of 6, 2 adults and 4 children (ages 2-12)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2014, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

plan to travel to washington DC area soon, and wonder which hotel allows a family of 6 in 1 room. We have 4 children, ages from 2 to 12. We can bring a air bag if necessary, but not sure if this is ever allowed or not.

any suggestions or experience sharing? Thanks a lot
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Stayed in a residence inn in DC with my family of 4 that had 2 queens in the bedroom and a sofabed in the living room. Don't recall what the room occupancy limit was, but assume it had to be 6.

EDIT: this is the hotel we stayed in. About a 4 block walk to the east end of the National Mall.
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/fact-...on-dc-capitol/
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Stayed in a residence inn in DC with my family of 4 that had 2 queens in the bedroom and a sofabed in the living room. Don't recall what the room occupancy limit was, but assume it had to be 6.
I just searched marriott hotels in DC/MD area, and found for a family of 5 there is $89 room (bethesda Marriott), but for family of 6 the cheapest is $219 in Frederick, quite far from DC.
Not sure how strict the hotels are, especially when we have a young baby, only 2 years old.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

which hotels allow 6 people in 1 room (2 adults + 4 children)

we have a family of 6, with 4 children ages between 2-12. We do not want to book 2 rooms, which is too expensive.

which hotels are less strict on the max number of person on 1 room?
For example, I just searched marriott in MD for next weekend, in one hotel in Bethesda a room with max 5 person costs $89, but in another hotel in Frederick a room with max 6 person costs $219 (which as two rooms actually).

So, is it possible to book a hotel as family of 5 and then show up and ask if we can pay for one extra person but still stay in the same room?
not sure if there are some hotels that allow this.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Try Hyatt Place.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:42 pm

The "max people" requirements in hotel rooms are usually due to the fire code and will not (cannot) be waived. You could always book for 5, bundle all six into the room and you'd probably get away with it too, but this is a bit iffy, not to mention cramped.

Have you considered non-hotel options like Airbnb? It should be pretty easy to get a house/apartment for 6 for the same price.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jpatokal
The "max people" requirements in hotel rooms are usually due to the fire code and will not (cannot) be waived. You could always book for 5, bundle all six into the room and you'd probably get away with it too, but this is a bit iffy, not to mention cramped.

Have you considered non-hotel options like Airbnb? It should be pretty easy to get a house/apartment for 6 for the same price.
Thank you for the suggestion of Airbnb. I never heard about it. It seems very good - will do some research
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Extended stay properties generally are suites (living room with sofabed, small dining table and kitchenette plus separate bedroom) than can handle large families, although they may try to get your to book a larger and more expensive two bedroom unit.

In family vacation areas, resorts can have family suites which can be large rooms or can have a separate room with bunk beds designed for kids. Often these are modest independent properties or places that clearly are designed for families.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:00 am
AAL

Residence Inn.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by AAL
Residence Inn.
Most of them seem to allow unlimited numbers of kids.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:28 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
My family members just returned from a 2-week road trip with their 4 boys 8 and under. They found Doubletree Inns to be very accommodating of 6 in a room and rather reasonable in price to boot.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You already asked the question here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...es-2-12-a.html

You need to decide where you have this thread, since duplicate posts become confusing.

Also, have you looked here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...amily-5-a.html

or here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...n-dc-area.html
Old Aug 20, 2014, 4:00 am

Programs: BA
When we got to two kids we decided that hotels just weren't practical most of the time (airport stays the night before an early flight being a notable exception of course ), and instead opted for serviced apartments. Much more practical you don't have to pay a babysitter while you go down to dinner (our kids were no good at all for a normal time dinner (7.30pm for example) OR eat room service in the bathroom...

Our experience was that the serviced apartments in cities we've stayed were cheaper than the number of hotel rooms that we'd need to book, and allow you to more effectively cater for your needs as a family. These days you have airbnb of course; not tied it myself yet but a quick search reveals a couple of hundred places as a starting point.

Our kids are 8, 6, 4 and 2 by the way.

Last edited by expatboy; Aug 20, 2014 at 4:05 am Reason: Added airbnb suggestion
Old Aug 20, 2014, 6:06 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
The embassy suites or residence inn can probably handle you. Otherwise you're undoubtedly looking at two adjoining rooms.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
You already asked the question here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...es-2-12-a.html

You need to decide where you have this thread, since duplicate posts become confusing.

Also, have you looked here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...amily-5-a.html

or here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...n-dc-area.html
Thank you for all replies. I will do some more research.
Sorry for the duplicate posts. I do not know which forum is the best to discuss, and time is tight.
Also, flyertalk does not allow me to delete my post.

I am also considering if I need to apply for some hotel credit cards (like marriott), so making clear which hotel is to be used is important. But I really do not know which forum is the best to ask the "family of 6" question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.