Wiki Posts
Search

Finding rooms for family of 5...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott PP, United PP, American Express Platinum
Finding rooms for family of 5...

My husband is a platinum member and we have been Marriott loyal for years, utilizing many resort properties across the US and world. As our youngest son creeps into the preschool years, it is becoming more difficult to find "resort" style properties within the Marriott system that we can sleep 5, especially if we want to use our points. Between his business travel and our Chase CC we have accrued many points over the years but using them has become more difficult unless we just succumb to two rooms. It amazes me that cruise lines and other properties (Disney, Omni, etc.) have become more family friendly with larger families but Marriott is more difficult. Anyone else feel the same way or how have you dealt with the family of 5 issue? We also use AMEX platinum for his business and can exchange that for Marriott Gift Cards at a decent rate as well as our Barclays Card but still frustrating overall.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Check out Vacation Clubs, I've done so in FL, where they often have 1 & 2 bedroom units like condos. You'll pay extra points but should be cheaper than 2 rooms.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:35 am

The two bedroom apartments at the Marbella vacation club are perfect for a family of five so I second joshua362
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Yes, it can be frustrating as your family grows into a smaller minority of the customer base. I would guess solo travelers are still a very large part of the MI business. Adding doubles maybe takes it to about 80%. Building out their inventory and IT systems to address less than 20% of their customer base just might not be profitable for them. Although I will bet good money that many properties can meet your needs, just not with every room.

Now, to address your needs, when the system doesn't provide what you want, then adjust your requests to get there. At least in the US, occupant count is not that critical. So as long as you can find a room that meets your needs, then I'd book that and not worry about it. If you get to the point of needing two beds and a roll-away, watching the room size will become important. If you frequent a particular property, get to know the management. They may be willing to watch out for your reservations and pre-block you into their larger rooms.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We only have 2 kids, but quite honestly, as the kids became teens we found sharing a room with them to make a vacation not a vacation anymore. So we are pretty much always at 2 rooms now. If you find sharing a bathroom with a teenager who spends 30 minutes with her flat iron every morning relaxing, more power to you.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 12:54 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
We also made use of MVCI properties when they were close by and available. But they aren't everywhere and availability can be dicey at best.

We started looking for RIs and TPSes more and more. I would first try to see if one of those are close by where we will be. Then call the Plat line and then ask them to call the hotel to see if they would possibly provide a complementary 2-bedroom suite upgrade or at least open one up for points. (Quite often they don't put them out for points awards, but will do so if you ask.)
Old Jul 9, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum; UAL Silver
Originally Posted by mrsp1030
My husband is a platinum member and we have been Marriott loyal for years, utilizing many resort properties across the US and world. As our youngest son creeps into the preschool years, it is becoming more difficult to find "resort" style properties within the Marriott system that we can sleep 5, especially if we want to use our points.
One of the major reasons why we bought into the vacation club. We have four boys from 8 to 19. Having a kitchen, two separate bedrooms, living room with sofa, and especially washer/dryer makes our family vacations SOOOO much better.

We'll save the points now for when just my wife and I travel. Thinking of New York City next summer for our 25th.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Do you know anyone with a timeshare and a membership to Interval International? Through them, they unload extra inventory one week at a time-called Get Aways. You can purchase a week-one time use-in Orlando for under $500.00 at MVCI properties. (1, 2 or 3 BR condos.) It costs an extra $59 to add a guest certificate-(put in your name.) Its totally legit. You can't change it, but you can add insurance.

We use them for trips to Cabo. $350 for a week at some awesome properties.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott PP, United PP, American Express Platinum
Thank you all for your responses and suggestions. We have used our points in Orlando no problem but when looking elsewhere at Aruba/Hawaii we have never been able to find a Marriott Vacation Club property available with points. We have also rented via VRBO or Redweek and then just used points to pay for expenses at the resort although this option is becoming a little difficult with my husband's current last minute crazy work schedule and fear of having to cancel.
We did consider buying into Marriott Vacation Club at one point but with the new point system we didn't see the value. For example, our neighbors bought at Marriott Ko Olina years ago and then switched to point system They had a gold week and have had issues getting Hilton Head for weeks during the summer.
We are always looking for options and were lucky to be upgraded to a suite at the Marriott Marquis San Diego this past spring break ( we asked at check in as the Platinum line said to ask the front desk). For now, we have been using our points in flexible ways and my husband and I use them on our couple trips mainly. I know people will say fire codes but see no reason why some of these larger rooms can't have a roll away along with two doubles! I remember long road trips as a kid and having 5-6 in a room no questions asked.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 7:12 pm

just make reservations for 4 with 2 doubles, and ask for a hideaway bed. Our family of 5 did this my entire life to save money and nobody ever batted an eye at us.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
I've been looking at MVCI for several years and it never quite adds up in terms of value versus the up front and annual fees.

On another note, the Marriott Wailea typically gives upgrades to rooms with 2 queen beds. Plus the rooms generally have a sleeper sofa, so two adults and 3 kids works in a pinch.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by llbad
just make reservations for 4 with 2 doubles, and ask for a hideaway bed. Our family of 5 did this my entire life to save money and nobody ever batted an eye at us.
Even when ignoring the ethical issue of lying about the total number of guests, this is still poor advice. Many hotels do not allow rollaway beds in rooms with two beds due to local fire codes.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 6:08 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
I've been looking at MVCI for several years and it never quite adds up in terms of value versus the up front and annual fees.

On another note, the Marriott Wailea typically gives upgrades to rooms with 2 queen beds. Plus the rooms generally have a sleeper sofa, so two adults and 3 kids works in a pinch.
I agree with this today since they converted to the new points model. However, the resale market (redweek.com or even ebay) can get some real bargains. The annual fees are a pain, but we offset them several ways including having extended family or friends join us and pitch in. They still get a bargain and are helping us out. We bought (2) weeks in 2005-Aruba Surf Club and Phuket Thailand. we have not and won't convert to the new point system. We certainly will not buy into that system.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Even when ignoring the ethical issue of lying about the total number of guests, this is still poor advice. Many hotels do not allow rollaway beds in rooms with two beds due to local fire codes.
well obviously that is something you would check prior to booking a reservation. p.s., you're not on an ethics forum, you're on a travel hacking one. You can always go hang out at marriott-insiders if this upsets you

Last edited by llbad; Jul 10, 2014 at 1:13 pm
Old Jul 10, 2014, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's no checking involved. The rooms that do not allow rollaways are clearly labeled as that when you book them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.