Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My only pet peeve -- leering over to look out "my" window

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2014, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The one thing we haven't heard yet is the flyer who specifically chose the left side of the plane for the better view and therefore is upset that someone on the right side is trying to enjoy that view without paying for it.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Some airlines/cabin crew want the window shades open for takeoff and landing as a safety measure. I think it's so that the cabin will be lighter inside and thus easier/faster to exit after a crash. If someone is accustomed to that rule, it's understandable that they would ask for the window shade to be open at such times.
Puh-lease!
Because the crew sometimes asks shades to be open during takeoff-- the pax was used to it-- and thus asked it to be opened ----only to not look out the window.
Some on here, are contrarian to some for no intellectually honest reason.

That is such a circuitous suggestion, that it is astronomically unlikely to be true.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
If I'm not viewing some electronic device (or especially if I'm reading a book) then I like to have the window open for the extra light. Nothing to do with looking out. If you have the window seat, then imho it's completely up to you whether you choose to have the shade open or closed, but there's nothing at all wrong with asking, as most people don't care.

I'm also new to the idea that other people eating their own food on the plane is an intrusion against your rights.
Davey,where did I say it was an intrusion of my rights for someone to eat. I made an observation that dudes sandwich stunk.
I know he has a right to eat it, despite the olfactory distress I was subjected too (said in jest-- flamers).

FT - where the masses come to twist, and parse words and Internet argue ! Mods- feel free to pass that potential slogan to FT higher ups for future advertising endeavors.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:00 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
You sound pretty easy going if that's your only peeve. It would annoy me too (unless the person was hot).

Last edited by tmorse6570; Apr 21, 2014 at 2:35 am
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:51 am

To OP, maybe the gremlin she was keeping an eye on was on "your" wing.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:27 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Did I accidentally stumble into the thread on how to provoke people and create a fistfight on the plane?
How did people not get that I was joking?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by roberino
How did people not get that I was joking?
I am relieved. But I didn't get it because there are a fair number of jerks both on FT and in the air.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
The one thing we haven't heard yet is the flyer who specifically chose the left side of the plane for the better view and therefore is upset that someone on the right side is trying to enjoy that view without paying for it.
Didn't Paula Poundstone have a comedy bit about the captain playing favorites left versus right? e.g., "Psst- people on the right, there is cool stuff to see outside your window. And we hate the people on the left..."
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:11 am

Assuming I am window seat passenger...

If the person peering out the window is...

- across the aisle and does not get out of their
seat then there is no problem.

- in the seat beside me and simply peering out the
window then there is no problem.

- in the seat beside me and leaning well across me into my
personal space to peer out the window then I have a problem
if it happens all through the flight.

Having said that I believe in sharing the space and window but
I really don't want someone's head directly over my lap while they
look out the window.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:16 am

This thread reminds me of bizarre behavior of a friend of mine on a trip we recently took. I normally prefer the window seat but she did too so I let her have it. On the way out, I noticed that she put on her sunglasses. Thinking that she perhaps felt I wanted the window open but it was too bright and that's why she put on her glasses, I said "you can shut the window if you want". She did and then opened it again about one minute later. Still with sunglasses on. I shrugged and put it out of my mind.

On the return trip we were on the sunny side of the plane and I let her have the window seat again. This time because of the direction of flight, she was sitting with the sun directly in her face almost the entire time. Sunglasses on. This time I didn't say anything to her, in the interest of not being annoying, although I was perplexed. When I was telling my husband the story later, it occurred to me that maybe having the shade down made her feel claustrophobic so she coped by keeping it open and putting on sunglasses.

It truly didn't bother me; it was just odd. But lesson: don't travel with odd people! LOL!

(She was also disorganized to the extreme. Wearing layered clothing with pockets all over, a passport holder around her neck, her purse and a wheelie carry on. Every few minutes she would proclaim in extreme frustration that she'd lost something, but it was just in any one of her eighteen pockets, the passport holder, her purse or carry on, because she never put things back in the same location she got them from. The trip was full of "I lost my glasses! I lost my cigarettes! I lost my passport! I lost my ... I lost my .... I lost my..." Her wheelie carry-on was stuffed so full you couldn't pour sand into it. At one point she pulled some skeins of yarn out of it. She explained that she packs it so that she can crotchet on the plane although she never does. When checking in her suitcase was overweight so I offered to let her move some stuff into mine. She pulled out clothes ON the hangers! And no, it wasn't the first time she'd ever flown.)

That was a bit annoying at the time but is a funny story now.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 10:58 am
Suspended

It doesn't seem at all odd to me to want to have the window open but to wear sunglasses. Lots of people enjoy walking around outside with sunglasses; is that 'odd' also?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:13 am

The difference for me is that when you're outside, you don't have the ability to close the window shade.

On other trips when I've been in the window seat and wanted the shade open but the sun was in my eyes, I'd put the shade down halfway. They are adjustable in that way. It never occurred to me to wear sunglasses.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:40 am
Suspended

Lots of people love the exposure to the outside world and yet don't enjoy the blinding light. Closing the window halfway is still only a factor of two, while the difference between bright sunlight and inside illumination is much much greater, perhaps a factor of 1000 of more. (Bright sunlight can be over 100,000 lux, while indoor illumination is typically less than 100 lux.)

Personally, I like bright light and don't ever wear sunglasses. But I observe that the latter are quite popular, a lot of people like them.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I enjoy sunshine, the feeling of sun on my face, the natural light, etc. but protect my eyes with sunglasses, on planes as well as on land. I really don't think it is weird!
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Personally, I like bright light and don't ever wear sunglasses. But I observe that the latter are quite popular, a lot of people like them.
I eschewed sunglasses until I hit my forties or so. Now I have cataracts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.