Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What is the longest turbo prop flight you have taken?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the longest turbo prop flight you have taken?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:23 pm

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by mmff
When? What aircraft? Commercial or private? If commercial, what airline? Thanks!
Private. In a Cessna 182P with long range tanks. So not exactly a turboprop, but a prop nonetheless. We wanted to stop at Beira or Nampula but neither one had fuel.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: OZ*G, QF Gold
2h15, 961 miles, BUD to RIX, on an Air Baltic Dash 8Q400. Have also done some shorter hops RIX-TLL with them on a Fokker 50.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
Since this thread got bumped, should probably update that the DUT-ANC route is now flown by the much faster Saab 2000.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:27 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by aroundtheworld76
Since this thread got bumped, should probably update that the DUT-ANC route is now flown by the much faster Saab 2000.
Most of my trips to DUT back in the day were on Reeve's YS-11s, often on the milk run that went ANC-AKN-PTH-SDP-CDB-DUT. It certainly wasn't a super-long trip in miles (under 1000) but it sure as hell took a long time.

Or I'd fly to CDB on RV's Electra (which still gets my vote as one of the most comfortable planes ever built) and switch to the YS-11 there. Some of the time I was going to Akutan, however, so I'd get to DUT on the YS then switch to the Goose that Reeve ran (then sold to Penair.) Lots of turboprop shorthauls around that time. The Saabs are definitely faster, but IMO way less quirky than the YS-11s, which were pretty indestructible, except for the one I was on that did a hard landing at SDP and became part of the landscape for a year.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Ottawa to Dryden, Ontario, in an aging Hawker Siddeley 748. 6 hours of fun through a thunderstorm and headwinds.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Lots of them. . . as a kid in the 60's we had relatives east and west coast, so I was on:

TWA - Connie
North Central - Convair 580
Allegheny - Convair 580
United - Convair 340
American - Electra

And years of business travel -- a lot of short commuter hops on:

Beech 1900
Short 330 - (the scariest plane I ever flew on. Yikes.)
Saab 340
King Air (Company plane)

Last edited by davesam12; Mar 30, 2017 at 12:33 pm
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:34 pm

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)
I liked the Short. I flew it many times from Chicago to/from Burlington Iowa.

DD
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
It was in the 90's and it was a very long trip. I remember taking a turbo prop with Delta from San Antonio to CVG. I remember it being over 3 hours. It is over 1000 miles. The plane was full, very uncomfortable, and all in all a very unpleasant flight. Probably why I remember it so vividly.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
It was in the 90's and it was a very long trip. I remember taking a turbo prop with Delta from San Antonio to CVG. I remember it being over 3 hours. It is over 1000 miles. The plane was full, very uncomfortable, and all in all a very unpleasant flight. Probably why I remember it so vividly.
ummmm ... Delta is one of the two legacy U.S. majors (the other being the late TWA) that never operated mainline turboprops, and I seriously doubt that SAT saw turboprop service from either of their regional affiliates during that time (ASA, based at ATL, had ATR-72s and EMB-120s, both of which I flew DFW<-->ICT in the 95-96 timeframe; Comair, based at CVG, featured Saab SF-340s and EMB-120s)
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
ummmm ... Delta is one of the two legacy U.S. majors (the other being the late TWA) that never operated mainline turboprops, and I seriously doubt that SAT saw turboprop service from either of their regional affiliates during that time (ASA, based at ATL, had ATR-72s and EMB-120s, both of which I flew DFW<-->ICT in the 95-96 timeframe; Comair, based at CVG, featured Saab SF-340s and EMB-120s)
ummmm. I didn't dream it. And not sure why you 'seriously doubt it'. I actually experienced it. And it was a Delta ticket. Whether Comair or any other hair splitting subsidiary actually operated the flight is irrelevant to how I was sharing my experience of the longest turbo prop flight I was ever on.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:30 pm

Programs: Uh, I think I got an extra packet of peanuts once.
Originally Posted by kochleffel
JFK-KEF-LUX in a Canadair CL-44J in 1970.

Remember that there was a time, before the jet era and for a while after it, when large turboprops flew many long routes. When it was introduced, the CL-44J had the largest passenger capacity of any aircraft. If you meant to restrict the question to planes under a certain size, you should have said so.
Same route on Icelandic in 1967. Felt like it took two days but, man, was the food good and they fed us constantly. It helped to be able to get off the plane and walk around the terminal at KEF for a while.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
If you count the Dash 8 as a prop plane, Porter Airlines flies only Dash 8. They have a St. John's, NL to their Toronto hub. I suppose one could connect to another Dash 8 flight to Chicago Midway or Melbourne, Florida. That would be a trip of well over 2,000 miles, possibly approaching 2,300 miles. That's 100-300 miles from being a US transcon length.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
If you count the Dash 8 as a prop plane, Porter Airlines flies only Dash 8. They have a St. John's, NL to their Toronto hub. I suppose one could connect to another Dash 8 flight to Chicago Midway or Melbourne, Florida. That would be a trip of well over 2,000 miles, possibly approaching 2,300 miles. That's 100-300 miles from being a US transcon length.
The Dash-8 is the very definition of the modern turboprop. That St. John's to Melbourne connection would be a long one indeed. Any longer single connection routes currently sold? Maybe some in AK?
Old Apr 1, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: BAEC
11.5 hours in 1985 in an RAF C130 Hercules with in-flight refuelling. Departed from Ascension Island, returned to Ascension - it was an in-flight refuelling mission.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by aroundtheworld76
The Dash-8 is the very definition of the modern turboprop. That St. John's to Melbourne connection would be a long one indeed. Any longer single connection routes currently sold? Maybe some in AK?
Sorry, I had a brainfart and thought of piston prop planes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.