Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What is the longest turbo prop flight you have taken?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the longest turbo prop flight you have taken?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2013, 2:55 pm

Programs: Independent
I don't know what the longest one was, but I remember in the late 80's/early 90's there were quite a few Turboprop routes that were over 2 hours. Back then you used to get light meals on them. I don't remember them being that terrible, as the flights were rarely full and you could see so much more out the window.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Funny you should mention turbo-props. My personal most hated aircraft was the Swearingen Metro. I was chatting Monday with a soon to retire AA pilot and we ended up talking about that plane. He called it the "San Antonio sewer pipe" - a name I'd never heard for that aircraft but entirely appropriate (it was made by Fairchild in San Antonio). Can't recall the specific routes/timings I'd flown on it but I guarantee that any flight on that claustrophobic torture chamber felt like a 100 hours.

Last edited by JMN57; Jul 13, 2013 at 7:00 pm
Old Jul 13, 2013, 7:03 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Speaking of turboprops, there are many isolated places in the world where they use them. For example, much of the inter-island flying in Hawaii is on turboprops. How do they get these planes out there? Do they fly them there from the mainland, with some sort of in-flight refueling? If they do, these positioning flights are likely the longest turboprop flights in the world.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 7:11 pm

In college, flew DEN-GUC/GUC-DEN on various turbo props.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by cbn42
Speaking of turboprops, there are many isolated places in the world where they use them. For example, much of the inter-island flying in Hawaii is on turboprops. How do they get these planes out there? Do they fly them there from the mainland, with some sort of in-flight refueling? If they do, these positioning flights are likely the longest turboprop flights in the world.

I'd bet on a boat.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cbn42
Originally Posted by JMN57
I'd bet on a boat.
They actually fly them.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...all-plane.html

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...d.main/154336/
Old Jul 14, 2013, 3:56 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by kochleffel
Remember that there was a time, before the jet era and for a while after it, when large turboprops flew many long routes.
There actually weren't that many long-haul turboprop aircraft, many carriers went straight from piston aircraft to jets around 1960, and the US manufacturers never did a long haul turboprop type.

Longest flight I can identify is BOAC London to Sydney on a Bristol Britannia. In 1958 this left London at 12.30 on (say) Monday, arriving Sydney at 22.00 Wednesday. With clock changes that's about 48 elapsed hours. There were seven intermediate stops. The Britannia didn't last long on such routes, only a couple of years, they took over from Lockheed Constellations and were in turn replaced by the jets arriving. It also had poor reliability; the aircraft turned round in Sydney and came home again, where on-time arrivals were rare and delays of 24 or even 48 hours were regular.

Some turboprops had more noise/vibration than others, an effect still apparent today. The Bristol Britannia was by all accounts (I never rode in one) notably free of such effects, and was commonly nicknamed "the Whispering Giant". This was not true of it's contemporary big competitor from just down the road, the Vickers Vanguard, and I believe the Lockheed Electra was pretty much a thunderer as well. The Electra was used by Qantas on a notable long-haul operation, with a string of stops across the Indian Ocean, from Sydney to Johannesburg, South Africa, for some years, but wasn't really intended for such operation.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by kochleffel
JFK-KEF-LUX in a Canadair CL-44J in 1970.
UA headquarters is probably mulling that over right now
Old Jul 14, 2013, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=WHBM;21093533

Some turboprops had more noise/vibration than others, an effect still apparent today. The Bristol Britannia was by all accounts (I never rode in one) notably free of such effects, and was commonly nicknamed "the Whispering Giant". This was not true of it's contemporary big competitor from just down the road, the Vickers Vanguard, and I believe the Lockheed Electra was pretty much a thunderer as well. The Electra was used by Qantas on a notable long-haul operation, with a string of stops across the Indian Ocean, from Sydney to Johannesburg, South Africa, for some years, but wasn't really intended for such operation.[/QUOTE]

before reinforcements, the wings fell off a couple of the electra.

Last edited by slawecki; Jul 14, 2013 at 7:35 am
Old Jul 14, 2013, 7:20 am

Programs: American AAdvantage Platinum
Spring 1972.

Piedmont YS-11.

BWI/DCA/LYH/TRI/TYS.

I was in no hurry. Good thing. I remember it as 4+ hours.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 7:50 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Aug 29 1968 CHC MEL QF Electra 5 hours 1700 miles or so
Old Jul 14, 2013, 1:24 pm

Programs: AF Plat a vie, EK Gold, SQ PPS
We took a flight MRU-RRG (Mauritius to Rodrigues Island) on Air Mauritius. The flt was 1h30 in an older ATR but what made it more stressful for me was that there was nothing around to land if we needed too.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 1:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Nothing impressive here, EWR-RDU on a US Dash-8 Q400. It clocks in at 416 Miles or on the day I took it, 1hr23.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by leonidas
And it's 3:30 hrs in a Saab 340.
I love Saabs! Quirky Swedish cars that can no longer be bought.

Oh wait... you said turbo-props... never mind... 3 hours in one must suck... sorry...

Several years ago, I was inside a Continental Express Dash-8(?) while it sat on the taxiway for 2 hours in a snow storm. The actual flight was only supposed to be 50 minutes. In the end, I was inside that tin can for almost 4 hours. This was before the invention of smartphones and tablets and e-readers... so it was quite boring.

Last edited by CenterWaters; Aug 31, 2013 at 1:52 pm
Old Aug 31, 2013, 7:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
I had to do a couple of visits to a mine site I supported in regional QLD, Australia on a C208 Caravan.

About 3.5 hours all up, the route went OOL-BNE-MCY-TDR, 330 miles on the nose according to gcmap

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.