Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why do Airbus Jets Vibrate so Badly on Takeoff?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do Airbus Jets Vibrate so Badly on Takeoff?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2015, 3:16 am
Suspended

Airbus vabrations,-thats nothing!! The thick smoke (well I supose it was realy some sort of condensation) belching out from the air con on old Yujumshis and such in minor SEA countries a few years ago,-that WAS something,and frequently caused hysteric reactions to less frequent travellers!!!
Old Apr 6, 2015, 4:04 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by geirfugl
Airbus vabrations,-thats nothing!! The thick smoke (well I supose it was realy some sort of condensation) belching out from the air con on old Yujumshis and such in minor SEA countries a few years ago,-that WAS something,and frequently caused hysteric reactions to less frequent travellers!!!
Ha, that still happens time to time, last two Silkair flights I've been on has had the condensation pouring out of the aircon and freaked some people out.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 5:23 am

Programs: QF
I've honestly never noticed much difference between Airbus and Boeing jets aside from the newer generation jets (A370/B787) being less noisy and fatiguing overall.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 7:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chris19992
Ha, that still happens time to time, last two Silkair flights I've been on has had the condensation pouring out of the aircon and freaked some people out.
Ah,-alas,my Lao Aviation days are over,I remember them with a feeling of great nostalgia for when the typical booking conversation went
as folows,

So,-can I get a ticket for the sceduled helicopter flight to village X,-sorry Sir,but unfortunately the helicopter fell down abouth 2 weeks ago,then,please would a ticket to Y on your enchanting Yum 19 be possible,-no sorry Sir,that one crashed,-BUT,it was 2 months ago,so not to worry

PS , this is an actuall experience,and not redacted IN ANY WAY !!
Old Aug 12, 2015, 6:33 am

Airbus "Shudder" At Takeoff

I just flew from DEN to MCO yesterday. Frontier Airlines...A319. The aircraft seemed very new looking. The seats inside were nothing that I've seen before. No video screens on seatbacks or overheads. The seats were "hollowed out" in the back with a padded framed edge...with tray tables that aprox. measured 9 or 10 inches horizontally.
Upon take off, I experienced that "shudder" just after the wheels left the runway. It seemed to last about 4 seconds. I was then thinking about the explanation of the vibration during periods of the trip to Orlando. My thinking focused mainly on the landing gear, and the wheels spinning while retracting. Just thought I'd put in my two cents.
JH
Old Aug 12, 2015, 6:59 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Having flown a large number of sectors on BA A320s and TK B737s I can't say I really noticed any difference or excessive vibrations.

Perhaps it's the airlines maintainance?
Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Worcester
Having flown a large number of sectors on BA A320s and TK B737s I can't say I really noticed any difference or excessive vibrations.

Perhaps it's the airlines maintainance?
The A32x planes make a very peculiar "barking dog" noise" that I've never heard on a B73x.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:02 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by milepig
The A32x planes make a very peculiar "barking dog" noise" that I've never heard on a B73x.
That was discussed in another thread and is apparently a pump that equalizes the pressure in the hydraulic systems. I don't know whether Boeing do it more quietly or don't do it.

My favorite oddity from a long time ago was the free shower that passengers would get when BA planes landed. Presumably condensation had frozen in the upper fuselage and was melting. Other airlines seemed to avoid this effect - perhaps internal gutters or better insulation.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by MADPhil
My favorite oddity from a long time ago was the free shower that passengers would get when BA planes landed. Presumably condensation had frozen in the upper fuselage and was melting. Other airlines seemed to avoid this effect - perhaps internal gutters or better insulation.
I had something similar many years ago flying a Garuda A300, except it was more drip torture throughout the flight. I thought maybe I had annoyed the Indonesian government and this was their revenge.

Back on topic, I always feel that the 320 series seems to be a slightly lighter construction - you do seem to be more aware of external influences, such as the vibration and engine spooling. However, I strongly prefer the extra width, and hence the plane, to the 737 which fortunately I don't see very often nowadays.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 4:01 pm

Programs: none
I have flown on many aircraft including military C-141, C-5's and C-130's KC-135 to KC-10s to 737 DC 8's to DC 10's 747's to L10-11s

This weekend I flew in my first airbus a 319-20 going to and coming home from Utah and I must say that both takes off's were the exact same and HORRIBLE I swear both take offs were the squirrelist I have ever been in, the plane felt like we were all over the run way is this normal.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
No. It's not normal. Sounds like strong crosswinds.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 12:15 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
It's the nose tires spinning as the gear is retracted.

When the gear is being retracted hydraulic pressure is applied to the brakes to stop the wheels from spinning. They could be spinning as fast as 200mph. The nose wheels do not have brakes so those wheels continue to spin during retraction. If they are even slightly out of balance there will be noise and vibration from them.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 9:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by romadaro
I have been wondering about this for some time, but flew from LAX-BWI last night on an Airbus 320 and experienced some of the worst vibration on liftoff that I can recall, which is what brought it to mind today. Why is that? Boeing and the old McDonnell Douglas jets don't seem to do it, so what makes Airbus jets different?
If you are sitting over the wheels, they continue to spin after take off and they vibrate as they are retracted and sitting there makes you feel it more.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold
I regularly experience what the OP describes on 737s as well.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 8:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Hengilas
Funny, I find my experiences on A380s to be vastly superior to ANY Boeing product. I find them much, much quieter and less fatiguing.
You're not going to find A380's though on BWI to LAX...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.