Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why do Airbus Jets Vibrate so Badly on Takeoff?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2013, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, US LT Silver, AA Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold

I have been wondering about this for some time, but flew from LAX-BWI last night on an Airbus 320 and experienced some of the worst vibration on liftoff that I can recall, which is what brought it to mind today. Why is that? Boeing and the old McDonnell Douglas jets don't seem to do it, so what makes Airbus jets different?
Old May 12, 2013, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1K

And why do they have that horrible sawing noise after engines shut down
Old May 12, 2013, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zigzagg900
It's the hydraulic system:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_transfer_unit

(Many posts also here on FT about it, but that came up first.)
Old May 12, 2013, 10:30 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
I believe vibrations can be from the gear being retracted while the wheels are still spinning.
Old May 12, 2013, 10:33 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA

I've thought about the wheels as being the likely explanation. Does airbus design the retraction mechanism differently than Boeing where maybe the wheels are not stopped from spinning right away? Or is there some other reason?
Old May 12, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Originally Posted by nerd
It's the hydraulic system:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_transfer_unit

(Many posts also here on FT about it, but that came up first.)
Always wondered about that myself.
Old May 12, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA | VS | UA | DL
Dunno what makes them different but the vibration on take-off is due to the wheels vibrating as they are still spinning. The main wheels, like on Boeings etc..., are stopped from spinning by the brakes before they are pulled up into the wheel wells. Nose gear's, on all types, tend not to have braking.
Old May 12, 2013, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by zigzagg900
AKA "barking dog". It doesn't instill confidence.

Last edited by milepig; May 13, 2013 at 11:00 am
Old May 12, 2013, 4:54 pm

Programs: SkyMiles, OnePass, MileagePlus
LAX-BWI is a longer flight on the A320/A319 type. It likely could have been pretty heavy with payload and fuel for the long flight. The higher weight means a higher takeoff speed and longer takeoff roll. The vibration can come from the needs to accelerate to a high takeoff speeds and felt more due to the longer takeoff roll.

Ive done many an Airbus flight in both the flight deck and in a passenger seat. It is not better or worse than any other aircraft in any metric. Like any aircraft, it has its quirks though.
Old May 12, 2013, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, US LT Silver, AA Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by AMLFlyer
LAX-BWI is a longer flight on the A320/A319 type. It likely could have been pretty heavy with payload and fuel for the long flight. The higher weight means a higher takeoff speed and longer takeoff roll. The vibration can come from the needs to accelerate to a high takeoff speeds and felt more due to the longer takeoff roll.

Ive done many an Airbus flight in both the flight deck and in a passenger seat. It is not better or worse than any other aircraft in any metric. Like any aircraft, it has its quirks though.
I take this flight every week and they just switched from a 737/800-900 to the Airbus 320 last week and you're right.....it's a extremely long taxi with increased acceleration and last night I actually thought we were going to run out of runway! Then, the plane pulls up and all of a sudden you get that horrible vibration. The taxi was probably the same on the 737, but at least the pull-up was smooth so you didn't notice it as much or elevate the anxiety level. In fact, it's an 11PM red eye and I'm usually asleep by takeoff, but the vibration actually woke me up last week and last night I was drifting off as the taxi began and was wide eyed by the time we pulled up and started the shimmy.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 7:28 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
This is one of the reasons I prefer Boeing planes and only book tickets on Airbus planes if I must.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by chris19992
This is one of the reasons I prefer Boeing planes and only book tickets on Airbus planes if I must.
Funny, I find my experiences on A380s to be vastly superior to ANY Boeing product. I find them much, much quieter and less fatiguing.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 9:11 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
I agree too that it seems like the wheels rotating. Fells and sounds like when you manually spin a bicycle aid wheel that kids have on their bikes.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by mikekelley
Funny, I find my experiences on A380s to be vastly superior to ANY Boeing product. I find them much, much quieter and less fatiguing.
To be fair, the A380 is a newer, clean sheet design than just about everything Boeing builds besides the 787. It should have a quieter cabin and better cabin pressure than a late 80s era 747-400 or an early 80s era 767-300.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 1:36 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by mikekelley
I guess we all have our preferences and while admittedly I didn't experience the vibration on the a380 I much prefer to book the 777, I'm a sucker for the noise of those engines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.