Wiki Posts
Search

Stealing from Lounges/Planes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2012, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Stealing from Lounges/Planes

So this is probably a pretty obvious question but I wasn't finding much on google/here so I thought I'd post.

I haven't really been much of a flyer until the last year or so and now I fly a lot and have status and go into airline lounges all the time and noticed that the glasses/silverware is pretty cool. The not-quite-kleptomaniac in me wants to steal these items, but I'm sure that's pretty frowned upon so I haven't actually stolen anything. Thoughts?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 3:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If you have friends over to your house do you think it is normal if they take your silverware home?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by catbox9
...I'm sure that's pretty frowned upon so I haven't actually stolen anything. Thoughts?
Go with your first instinct on this one.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thomas199023
If you have friends over to your house do you think it is normal if they take your silverware home?
Well of course not. Still, the stuff is pretty cool. I'm not going to steal it but I'm sitting in a Lufthansa lounge right now and can't help but notice how nice the stuff is.

With that said, if for some reason one of the employees suggested I steal the stuff, I'd be all over it.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 3:21 pm

Perhaps the definition of "steal" might help you decide

steal, stole, sto·len, steal·ing, noun.
verb (used with object)
1. to take (the property of another or others) without permission or right, especially secretly or by force: A pickpocket stole his watch.
2. to take, get, or win insidiously, surreptitiously, subtly, or by chance: He stole my girlfriend.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 3:33 pm

I'm not sure if this is a related question, but I'm wondering if anyone has managed to score some minis of alcohol from the FAs? Or more specifically, would they give you alcohol if they knew you didn't intend to drink it onboard?

I've done it once on a 2.5 hour flight in domestic F, when the FA served my drink with 2 minis and I only finished one before dinner. I had some wine during dinner, and something else after. I pocketed the unopened mini and took it home.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 3:40 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
If you are flying lots, the last thing I would personally want to look at would be the silverware / glassware from my last business class meal.

I don't need to be reminded of he amount of time I spent away from home- that's what travel photos are for
Old Oct 30, 2012, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
I'm not sure if this is a related question, but I'm wondering if anyone has managed to score some minis of alcohol from the FAs? Or more specifically, would they give you alcohol if they knew you didn't intend to drink it onboard?

I've done it once on a 2.5 hour flight in domestic F, when the FA served my drink with 2 minis and I only finished one before dinner. I had some wine during dinner, and something else after. I pocketed the unopened mini and took it home.
In the US, I have heard FA's say that liquor must be consumed onboard. Seems reasonable, as that's the way liquor licenses work in most states, although I have no idea if it's true with FAA regulations. (I realize that some places have bars that also have package licenses.)

But I've also had an FA slip an entire bottle of sparkling wine into my carry-on upon arrival in Hawaii during our honeymoon. Was that illegal? It was obvious to the FA that I was terminating in Hawaii, if that matters at all.

In any case, I don't think it's one of those things that's policed hard unless you're rapidly crushing doubles and the FA notices he/she's only picking up one bottle each time.

To the OP, no, I would not boost silverware from a lounge. That sounds like something I would have done at high school prom.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 6:44 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i have taken an apple and or breakfast bar from the club on occasion & do have an aa mug....probably petty theft, but i can sleep at night...

going way back when the attaboy/girl hand outs started at aa, i gave one to each of the 3 fa's & they gave me a barf bag full of booze...probably late 80's....

braniff ran a commercial about taking stuff off the plane which showed a lady going too far & driving a tug pulling the plane while wrapped in a blanket used as a shawl.....it showed people taking stuff off iirc....

a friend & coworker had about 40 different mini coffee spoons circa 1975 from different carriers which he later put in a shadow box....

edit to add....in august on my 80th bday i got an ug on the way to shoot doves in argentina.....i asked the fa if she would save 2 glenlivets for me on my bd....and i was served 2 & on the way out she gave me 2 more...

Last edited by clacko; Oct 30, 2012 at 6:53 pm
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:22 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
If an employee gives you a mini on the plane which you do not consume, but take with you,it isn't stealing. It may be a violation of local liquor laws, but it was given to you with the express understanding that you would consume it.

If an employee gives you a bottle of champagne at the end of your flight, it may be stealing by the employee, but it should not be up to the passenger to understand what the employee is permitted to do on behalf of the airline.

If you walk off with the flatware, it is stealing.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 9:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky

I was offered some by a nice FA so that I could have a drink while I waited for my next flight. I told him I didn't need one as I could always go the lounge if I needed a drink.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:32 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Most airlines leave a "Skymall Catalog" in the seat pocket--on the catalog it says something like "feel free to take it with you" (so if you take it, you are not stealing). I would assume the airlines own magazine is free to take off the plane.
So, should I assume that except for these two, anything else one takes is stealing.(?)
When I fly in business class/fc (particularly on intl. flts.) they leave a small bottle of water, what I haven't finished on the plane, I take with me, so I have water to drink on my way to my hotel, home etc.--am I stealing?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:38 pm

Programs: VS AU, AS 75K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
VS once had (although I have heard they are coming back) little silver salt and pepper shakers in the shape of airplanes. On the bottom is stamped "Pinched from Virgin Atlantic."

I have taken these but feel a little less guilty since the FAs will gladly put them in a plastic bag (so you dont spill salt all over your carry-on) for you if you ask nicely.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT, VS Gold, SPG Plat, Le Club Plat, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Jimmy O's
VS once had (although I have heard they are coming back) little silver salt and pepper shakers in the shape of airplanes. On the bottom is stamped "Pinched from Virgin Atlantic."

I have taken these but feel a little less guilty since the FAs will gladly put them in a plastic bag (so you dont spill salt all over your carry-on) for you if you ask nicely.
Yes - those make nice gifts for people who like to travel. I've asked for (and received) a handful of them upon request and the end of several flights in UC.

Short of something similarly consumable or disposable, I think taking anything from a plane or lounge is stealing.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:48 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
If the airline intends to reuse the item (i.e. metal cutlery, glassware etc), then it should remain with the airline. If they have no intention of reusing it (such as a plastic cup, plastic cutlery) then take it if you really want it. Most times the airlines do reuse pillows, blankets, headphones (unless purchased by the passenger) so those things should remain on board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.