Stealing from Lounges/Planes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stealing from Lounges/Planes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2012, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
I'm not sure if this is a related question, but I'm wondering if anyone has managed to score some minis of alcohol from the FAs? Or more specifically, would they give you alcohol if they knew you didn't intend to drink it onboard?

I've done it once on a 2.5 hour flight in domestic F, when the FA served my drink with 2 minis and I only finished one before dinner. I had some wine during dinner, and something else after. I pocketed the unopened mini and took it home.
I know of someone whose friend was bumped into by a drinks trolley and given a small bag of miniatures as on-the-spot compensation. She then went and deliberately bumped into the same CC member, and got given a few split champagne bottles!
Originally Posted by NM
If the airline intends to reuse the item (i.e. metal cutlery, glassware etc), then it should remain with the airline. If they have no intention of reusing it (such as a plastic cup, plastic cutlery) then take it if you really want it. Most times the airlines do reuse pillows, blankets, headphones (unless purchased by the passenger) so those things should remain on board.
This, within reason. I do not see a big issue with taking one or two food/drink items from the lounge to consume on the plane, especially on a flight such as LHR-EDI where the lounge is luxurious and the onboard fare is paltry.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 8:50 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by stifle
This, within reason. I do not see a big issue with taking one or two food/drink items from the lounge to consume on the plane, especially on a flight such as LHR-EDI where the lounge is luxurious and the onboard fare is paltry.
I have taken a bottle of water from a lounge for consumption on a long flight. Whether I consume it in the lounge or on the flight, the airline is providing me the water. But I doubt I would take anything more than a bottle of water for a flight - note I have not flown LHR-EDI so that may be different
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jimmy O's
VS once had (although I have heard they are coming back) little silver salt and pepper shakers in the shape of airplanes. On the bottom is stamped "Pinched from Virgin Atlantic."

I have taken these but feel a little less guilty since the FAs will gladly put them in a plastic bag (so you dont spill salt all over your carry-on) for you if you ask nicely.
Knowing VS's style and humor, I'd say they fully expect those salt/pepper shakers to be taken by passengers.

Stuff like food/water served by the airline: yeah, I have no problem taking that stuff. The bottle of water served in J/F, or a piece of fruit or energy bar from a lounge. That all seems like fair game. I think your conscience is a guide to how much food to take from a lounge: if you're looking over your shoulder as you load a carry-on bag with Kitkats, then you might be taking things too far.

Last edited by pinniped; Mar 3, 2015 at 1:23 pm
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:47 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
guys...need pop corn urgently...
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
You know, there's an awful lot of airline service paraphernalia from cutlery to plates, cups and cocktail glasses available on ebay. Some of it is very affordably priced. Go over to Ebay and just type in say "TWA First Class". Whatever that brings up, just hit the category whatever's listed is in and you should be delivered to a whole bunch of different airline service stuff you can buy without any legal or moral compunction.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
You know, there's an awful lot of airline service paraphernalia from cutlery to plates, cups and cocktail glasses available on ebay. Some of it is very affordably priced. Go over to Ebay and just type in say "TWA First Class". Whatever that brings up, just hit the category whatever's listed is in and you should be delivered to a whole bunch of different airline service stuff you can buy without any legal or moral compunction.
Buying stolen property is better than stealing it?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:25 pm
Suspended

It would appear that pinching a small item costing a couple of dollars should not be a big issue at the mirco level. At the macro level, it could add up to billions of dollars.

How many passengers fly every year in the U.S.? How any world wide? How many passengers does an airline fly? How many passengers are flown every day by a all airlines. In each of these cases, the cost of pinching is not insignificant.
Having said that, I have taken a spoon/knife (can't remember what) from a flight. Once, an FA allowed us to take a blanket which was wrapped around, rather my son 18 month old son was wrapped around it, so that we won;t have to wake him up. For a while, it was his favourite blanket.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:39 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
writing a grocery list on an office note pad is also stealing!
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by catbox9
So this is probably a pretty obvious question but I wasn't finding much on google/here so I thought I'd post.

I haven't really been much of a flyer until the last year or so and now I fly a lot and have status and go into airline lounges all the time and noticed that the glasses/silverware is pretty cool. The not-quite-kleptomaniac in me wants to steal these items, but I'm sure that's pretty frowned upon so I haven't actually stolen anything. Thoughts?
Troll?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by clacko
writing a grocery list on an office note pad is also stealing!
Yeah, but that's something no one is going to pursue, unless they want to get rid of you and that's the only thing they could prove and show that you did it repeatedly.

Standard policy in most offices is that you using company resources such as phones, faxes and computers for personal use is a ground for dismissal.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
You know, there's an awful lot of airline service paraphernalia from cutlery to plates, cups and cocktail glasses available on ebay. Some of it is very affordably priced. Go over to Ebay and just type in say "TWA First Class".
Hey, that TWA cutlery belongs to their debt holders. So it belongs to AA, who bought TWA. So now it belongs to AA's debt holders. Ugh, head spinning...

As for the OP's original question, no, you shouldn't steal the cutlery, but help yourself to the coffee maker or a bar stool.

Mike
Old Oct 31, 2012, 6:22 pm

Programs: QP Life, AA Nothing, QF Bronze
Originally Posted by pinniped
The bottom of water served in J/F, ...

Fortunately I've never been served a bottom of water. Sounds like a sub-optimal delivery method.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 6:50 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
To the OP,

pls invite me over after you have a full set !
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by FearFree
Buying stolen property is better than stealing it?
So far as I know, the vast majority of these items for sale on ebay are not stolen. I know a couple of guys who worked for TWA for years and when the airline would switch out one style of cutlery and china for another every few years, the old stuff would be available to employees through the company store. And it wasn't just TWA either. Having worked in the industry myself over the years, I know this was common practice with most other major airlines as well, whenever they rebranded a service or the plates and glasses simply got old and needed to be replaced.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Oct 31, 2012 at 10:29 pm
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:01 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
He didn't steal it. He borrowed it. As soon as he's done with it he'll bring it back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.