Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you handle someone sitting in your seat when you board?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you handle someone sitting in your seat when you board?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2013, 5:13 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Anyone offering me a swap to a middle seat from my window (or occasionally aisle) will get an automatic "No thanks - I don't like sitting in the middle seat either" response - usually that stops any further conversation dead! Only exception to that was if it was a middle seat in a premium cabin, and even then it would depend on the airline!

I'd consider an equal or better swap, but anyone asking me to downgrade has a snowball's chance in h**l of getting me to move....
Old Jun 26, 2013, 9:44 am

Programs: Delta, United
A while back I ended up with a bulkhead window seat which I do not like. So when I boarded I stowed my bags. Not wanting to sit any sooner than necessary because of the limited legroom I stood in the galley area while other PAX boarded. Between their walks down the elise I chatted with FAs who was welcoming PAX on board. As the boarding ended the FA asked that I go ahead and take my seat. I said sure not problem I'll just let the last PAX move out of the way and I'll my bulkhead seat.

At that point her eyes lighted and said "I thought you were in FC I did not know you were in the bulkhead. In that case would you mind swapping seats with the lady two rows back who has an elise seat? She has been ever so persistent that she had to have a bulkhead seat and has been asking every time I pass by for the seat."

I said sure not a problem as it give me more leg room. The other PAX zipped into the bulkhead seat and I took hers. Best of all the bar under the seat that normally keeps your feet from going out into the elise was missing. So I could really stretch out. The finial coup the FA gave me free drinks and food.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by GatorAir
. . . quite frankly, it is a little rude to put me in such a no-win situation where I look like a jerk to surrounding passengers if I refuse to move.
Believe me, you aren't the jerk. If you look like the jerk for "refusing" to take a middle seat, then you are surrounded by jerks. Don't let them bother you one iota.

I would never ask or expect anyone to take an inferior seat just to accommodate us. It's a question of common decency.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by chollie
+1

Particularly when it means I'm switching to a much less desirable seat.

It's a known risk if you take a seat in a bulkhead, but I got bumped a few months ago, either at the lounge or the gate. I had a bulkhead window (3-3-3) configuration. Two hours earlier on connecting flight checkin, my seat assignment was intact. Time to board and *beep* - I've been bumped from E+ to a middle E- seat somewhere in row 40!

Fortunately, I boarded at the beginning of my group and fortunately the GA got my original seat back. (Apparently this is not all that easy once you've been scanned to board).

It turned out that a middle-aged husband-wife had adjacent aisle bulkhead seats in the same row. They wanted to sit in a bulkhead row with the middle seat empty. That is apparently why I had gotten reassigned!

I didn't immediately realize what was going on. Whispered conversations between the couple and an FA while boarding proceeds and I'm reading, although I did keep hearing 'But he's my husband!'. The poor FA finally asked me if I was happy in my window seat -yes. Would I prefer an aisle? - no. Would I like a middle exit row seat with more leg room? - no. OK, and I resume my reading.

This continued for some time between the couple and the FA, with the husband offering to take a free upgrade to first so his wife didn't have to sit next to anyone. In the end, she sat on one side of the aisle, he sat on the other, the seat between us remained empty.

This was absolutely the craziest 'family/husband-wife need to sit together' situation I have ever encountered. Together...but not too close together...
Were their any indications that the wife couldn't sit next to a strange man due to her religion? Why didn't husband take the middle seat and put wife on aisle?
Old Jun 26, 2013, 11:01 am

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Were their any indications that the wife couldn't sit next to a strange man due to her religion? Why didn't husband take the middle seat and put wife on aisle?
None - not to profile, but average middle-aged Americans. They wanted to sit together, but with an empty middle on one side and an aisle/window on the other. They were both on the aisle; a young woman was sitting next to her and he was next to the empty middle.

The FA even offered a swap with the single pax in the 3-seat middle second row (E+). Nope. They demanded bulkhead (FWIW, not POS, not particularly tall - she was probably 5'3" tops, he was well under 6', no apparent mobility or health issues raised).

Strangest of all was when the husband kept saying they'd settle for a free upgrade to business/first for him so she could take his seat (and have no one on either side of her)! He was not kidding, quite serious about the upgrade as fair compensation.

Once upon a time, when such things were still possible, an FA might have smiled and said "I have the answer. I'll upgrade this window pax to first - that way your and your wife can have your three-seat bulkhead row with the empty middle and be in the same cabin. Much better than separating husband and wife, and compensation to the window pax for giving up the seat!"
Old Jun 26, 2013, 1:08 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Did they appear to be serious VIPs or even CIPs? It sounds like the airline did an awful lot to help them versus just laughing at the request. Someone initially changed your seat and then the FAs seemed to be trying to give them what they wanted.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I've asked a flight attendant to check with a passenger who sat in a middle seat that was supposed to be unoccupied according to the mobile site. I had a look at the offenders BP and it was for a different seat.

I've also sat in the wrong seat and promptly moved when it was made known and I confirmed, or asked if they wouldn't mind taking the exact same seat across the aisle. It's always up to the seat holder to decide IMO.

On some airlines I've had my bulkhead seat changed preemptively to accommodate bassinets, but I've also been asked if it was ok in advance by the check-in agent. YMMV.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Did they appear to be serious VIPs or even CIPs? It sounds like the airline did an awful lot to help them versus just laughing at the request. Someone initially changed your seat and then the FAs seemed to be trying to give them what they wanted.
I'm DL Plat; they could have been DL Diamonds slumming it in the back (like I do ).

I did submit feedback when I got back, because there's no way I should have been bumped from E+ to middle seat E- when there were a reasonable number of E+ seats open. There was no excuse whatsoever for that. At the very least, they should have swapped my seat with the wife's seat.

It was just very strange.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:53 pm

Seat Poached...FA took poachers side I had to move

Absolutely rediculous situation. Flying LAX-EWR. It was one of those days where everything was just wrong and I was miserable. I was on an A321 and had an aisle seat in coach row 8. I picked the seat when I printed my boarding pass. Didn't pay extra for it, but I selected it and it was on my boarding pass. Not only was it an aisle but it was toward the front of the plane.

I board and sure enough some guy is sitting in my seat. I stood in the aisle and faced him and before I even said one word he looks at me and says, with attitude "don't even ask me to move. this is my wife and daughter here and that's your problem, so go find another seat".

Oh, and it gets better. He takes that tear off stub from the boarding pass and flicks it at me.

I didn't say a word. Not wanting any type of confrontation. I look toward the front of the plane and motion with my hand to the stewardess to come over.

She comes over and I explain the situation. She asks for the guy's boarding pass, which is now on the floor by my feet. She reaches down, picks it up and then the unthinkable. She hands it to me and says "ok sir, this is your new seat. It's a window seat. Here you go".

Without arguing or creating a scene I took the seat. Second to last row of the plane window. Crushed for 6 hours.

This is the type of customer service you get nowadays.

And plz don't lecure me about what I should have done. The plane was 100% full. I couldn't move anywhere. If I had done anything it would have caused a massive scene on the plane.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 12:09 am

I would have calmly stood there, requested the GA or even the captain to be called over, and request IDB compensation if I could not sit in my assigned seat at that moment. You got bullied and you decided to accept that. You can write to customer service, but it's just a he said / she said situation at this point.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 12:10 am

Programs: AA Gold, DL FO, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by joshuamillman
Absolutely rediculous situation. Flying LAX-EWR. It was one of those days where everything was just wrong and I was miserable. I was on an A321 and had an aisle seat in coach row 8. I picked the seat when I printed my boarding pass. Didn't pay extra for it, but I selected it and it was on my boarding pass. Not only was it an aisle but it was toward the front of the plane.

I board and sure enough some guy is sitting in my seat. I stood in the aisle and faced him and before I even said one word he looks at me and says, with attitude "don't even ask me to move. this is my wife and daughter here and that's your problem, so go find another seat".

Oh, and it gets better. He takes that tear off stub from the boarding pass and flicks it at me.

I didn't say a word. Not wanting any type of confrontation. I look toward the front of the plane and motion with my hand to the stewardess to come over.

She comes over and I explain the situation. She asks for the guy's boarding pass, which is now on the floor by my feet. She reaches down, picks it up and then the unthinkable. She hands it to me and says "ok sir, this is your new seat. It's a window seat. Here you go".

Without arguing or creating a scene I took the seat. Second to last row of the plane window. Crushed for 6 hours.

This is the type of customer service you get nowadays.

And plz don't lecure me about what I should have done. The plane was 100% full. I couldn't move anywhere. If I had done anything it would have caused a massive scene on the plane.
Obviously in hindsight you know what you should have done, so no problem, I'll spare you the lecture.

My only further comment is that clearly the flight attendant (now I WILL lecture you that the term "stewardess" is now at least 15 years antiquated...don't use it anymore) took her cue from you and "assigned" you to the poacher's less favorable seat to similarly prevent the massive scene and just take the path of least resistance to getting the plane boarded and to wheels-up. Yes, she was wrong to do that, but she did it anyway. Flight crews are completely weary of the overall childish and/or boorish behavior of their SLC (that's "self-loading cargo") these days, between seat disputes, WOBS (that's "the War for Overhead Bin Space"), and everything else, and are just trying to get through each flight with as little confrontation as possible. Yes, "the type of customer service you get nowadays". Sucks, doesn't it?
Old Sep 14, 2013, 12:15 am

Please name the airline. COdbaUA since the destination is EWR?

Also please report this to the airline, even if it is a he said/she said.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 12:38 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage

Yeah, I would report it as well. It might be he said she said but the stewardess was wrong and I'd see what I could get. If you stIll have the boarding pass from the poacher. I'd take a pic of it with your phone and send it with an email.

Last edited by Jerseyguy; Sep 14, 2013 at 1:01 am
Old Sep 14, 2013, 2:24 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Complain to the airline.

Though personally i'd have gone with the massive scene but then I'm quite happy arguing in public and I don't really care if a bunch of strangers who i'll never see again label me a complete a-hole.
Cotumely likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 2:25 am

Programs: LH HON

You're entitled to a seat in the cabin you've paid for. Not a specific seat.

Was the attitude necessary? No

Was the FA helpful? No

But i can't see any kind of entitlement / compensation here...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.