FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How do you handle someone sitting in your seat when you board?
Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:53 pm
joshuamillman

Seat Poached...FA took poachers side I had to move

Absolutely rediculous situation. Flying LAX-EWR. It was one of those days where everything was just wrong and I was miserable. I was on an A321 and had an aisle seat in coach row 8. I picked the seat when I printed my boarding pass. Didn't pay extra for it, but I selected it and it was on my boarding pass. Not only was it an aisle but it was toward the front of the plane.

I board and sure enough some guy is sitting in my seat. I stood in the aisle and faced him and before I even said one word he looks at me and says, with attitude "don't even ask me to move. this is my wife and daughter here and that's your problem, so go find another seat".

Oh, and it gets better. He takes that tear off stub from the boarding pass and flicks it at me.

I didn't say a word. Not wanting any type of confrontation. I look toward the front of the plane and motion with my hand to the stewardess to come over.

She comes over and I explain the situation. She asks for the guy's boarding pass, which is now on the floor by my feet. She reaches down, picks it up and then the unthinkable. She hands it to me and says "ok sir, this is your new seat. It's a window seat. Here you go".

Without arguing or creating a scene I took the seat. Second to last row of the plane window. Crushed for 6 hours.

This is the type of customer service you get nowadays.

And plz don't lecure me about what I should have done. The plane was 100% full. I couldn't move anywhere. If I had done anything it would have caused a massive scene on the plane.