Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Petty Theft in the Cabin

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2012, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Petty Theft in the Cabin

...and I do mean petty, which is why it was so astonishing.

I brought a bag of chocolate candy to my seat, and even offered a piece to my seatmate. Put same in seat pocket in front of me, and settled back for the flight. (JFK - LAX).

Got up to use the loo and on my return, seatmate was just completing the act of taking my candy out of said pocket and putting it into her purse.

Seatmate was well dressed and the purse, not one I could easily afford.

Poll: were it possible to do without depressurizing the cabin, should I have thrown her out the window? Terrorism is terrorism, but this was chocolate theft....
Old Apr 27, 2012, 6:26 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Wow. A real Payday for them. (snickers). I wonder what they'd do for a Klondike bar...
Old Apr 27, 2012, 6:43 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus; Southwest; American Airlines
i am a big believer in immediate "resolution" -- e.g., OMG -- why are you taking my chocolate and putting it in your purse?

You have a lot more self control then I do.....
Old Apr 27, 2012, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by simpleflyer
the purse, not one I could easily afford...
Do you really think she bought it?

Originally Posted by jerry305
Wow. A real Payday for them. (snickers). I wonder what they'd do for a Klondike bar...
Nice.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
OMG what did you do/say?

I'm sometimes so shocked and astonished by these brazen acts of uncivility that I can't actually say or do anything constructive. I just can't fathom that people would do such things!
Old Apr 27, 2012, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry305
sorry Jerry, took me a while to appreciate your pun as I didn't at first realize that 'Payday' is a brand of candy bar ....very good by the way (your pun, not the candy bar which I have yet to try)

Last edited by simpleflyer; Apr 27, 2012 at 7:33 pm
Old Apr 27, 2012, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cynicalbuthopeful
i am a big believer in immediate "resolution" -- e.g., OMG -- why are you taking my chocolate and putting it in your purse?

You have a lot more self control then I do.....
You have a lot more presence of mind than I did at the time. That is exactly what I should have asked, except I was too stupified to do anything of the kind.
I spent the next several minutes wondering if LAX security would be sympathetic (I don't mean to my reporting her, I mean to my throwing her out the window....)

Last edited by simpleflyer; Apr 28, 2012 at 10:47 am
Old Apr 27, 2012, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OskiBear
OMG what did you do/say?

I'm sometimes so shocked and astonished by these brazen acts of uncivility that I can't actually say or do anything constructive. I just can't fathom that people would do such things!
Not much as I couldn't figure out how to open the window, and not without sending us all out of the cabin after her.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: aa
sorry Jerry, took me a while to appreciate your pun as I didn't at first realize that 'Payday' is a brand of candy bar (not sold around here...)
Yes +1 to Jerry305.

Perhaps you should write a note " To whom it may concern, to solve the case of the missing choco bar..you are invited to appear on the Jerry Springer Show". And wrap it another choco bar for her to pilfer it !!
Old Apr 27, 2012, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President Circle
So...what happened during remainder of the flight? Did she ask if you wanted some of her chocolate?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Please, I must insist on accuracy. This was no mere bar, but a bag of chocolate candy meant to sustain me for not just an entire flight, but a trip. For strictly medicinal purposes only, I might add.

Landice, oddly enough, she became very preoccupied with her book upon my return. Wish I'd thought of NEWEXP's idea.

I thought really, though, what is the objective for this person (aside from the obvious.....) Is it the thrill of the act, like those well-heeled suburban shoplifters one hears about?

I did entertain the idea that she thought I'd abandoned the chocolate to its fate in the seat pocket.....nah.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 9:15 pm

Please, I must insist on accuracy. This was no mere bar, but a bag of chocolate candy meant to sustain me for not just an entire flight, but a trip. For strictly medicinal purposes only, I might add.

Landice, oddly enough, she became very preoccupied with her book upon my return. Wish I'd thought of NEWEXP's idea.

I thought really, though, what is the objective for this person (aside from the obvious.....) Is it the thrill of the act, like those well-heeled suburban shoplifters one hears about?

I did entertain the idea that she thought I'd abandoned the chocolate to its fate in the seat pocket.....nah.
I think the only thing more infuriating about this "lady" ripping you off, is you not doing one thing about it. Even worse is your claim that your candy was medicinal, that just makes you look like more of a door mat than usual. Someone decides to steal something that is medicinal in value, you witness it and say absolutely nothing? Not one word? For the entire flight? Nothing? It is incomprehensible.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:48 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by godofwine
I think the only thing more infuriating about this "lady" ripping you off, is you not doing one thing about it. Even worse is your claim that your candy was medicinal, that just makes you look like more of a door mat than usual. Someone decides to steal something that is medicinal in value, you witness it and say absolutely nothing? Not one word? For the entire flight? Nothing? It is incomprehensible.

Gee, thanks for your input.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by godofwine
Alas, godofwine, this was OTC medicine, so it had no prescription label identifying me as the rightful owner. And I lacked the presence of mind to affix my name to aforesaid bag. So proving title to the bag could have proven difficult, even for a god, and especially for a god for whom wine, and not chocolate, is his/her proper jurisdiction. Anyway, a challenge might well have come down to one of those yes it is/no it isn't scenarios.

I think next time I'd have said something like, "Oh, thank you for being so thoughtful, it is true that chocolate could well melt in those dreadful seat pockets. But I think the best place for my candy is in the bag under my feet. Meanwhile, shall we share another round of MY candy?"

What the whole thing reminds me is that theft does occur in airplane cabins, and as outrageous as chocolate theft is, it could have been worse.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 6:22 am

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
If you saw it, it's simple.

Lady, give me my .... before I kick your .... She knows you saw her, intimidation and embarrassment will get it back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.