Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Most miles you've ever put on an 'unlimited miles' car rental?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most miles you've ever put on an 'unlimited miles' car rental?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2011, 12:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by fjord
Me and my 2 adventurist friends did a minivan trip around the US twice.

1st time: 6 days @ 6500 miles (Chrysler Town & Country)
2nd time: 9 days @ 8500 miles (Ford Windstar)

First time the counter agent asked me how many miles I had put on the van, I answered 6500, then he told me "How many miles did you put on it, not what the odometer is saying", and then he had to ask this question again until he realized what had happened.

Places visited were of the sort: Grand Canyon, LA, Las Vegas, Sequoia Nat'l Park, Memphis, Chicago, Denver, Rockies, Smokeys, Yellowstone, Mt Rushmore,...

My next trip is to Alaska and I plan on beating that record.
Whoa..

Pretty much that's all you do is drive when putting that kind of mileage up..
Old Jul 4, 2011, 8:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
About 5,000 miles going from NYC-SW Florida some years ago over three weeks. We deliberately took the slow route with many many detours. On return, the guy said "wow, you really did mean unlimited miles!"
Old Jul 4, 2011, 9:36 am

Was this the FL drivein?
Old Jul 4, 2011, 9:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Was this the FL drivein?
No ! Having driven down I95 and I75 loads of times, it was time to off the beaten path after a three-week killer assignment in NY. Mrs LE flew in and we went on rural road the whole way, usually as close to the sea as possible, but with the Clark Griswold objective of seeing the second-biggest hairball in Maryland or the booger hall of fame, and stuff like that. I needed a head adjustment after that trip!
Old Jul 4, 2011, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Paris to Madrid - 800 miles in 12 hours. Did it during the ash cloud in April 2010.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 8:59 pm
Suspended

Over the course of a 12 day rental, I once put around 2800 miles on a car, basically drove a round trip from Barcelona to Paris, going through the Riviera and then up through the Pyrenees all the way up to Bordeaux in one direction, and back through Lyon, Burgundy and the Rhone in the other direction.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 12:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I noticed this last time out getting quotes on rental vehicles around LAX.. that some companies are moving towards limiting the amount of miles one can put on during a rental..

Perhaps this thread is evidencing why?
Old Jul 5, 2011, 9:46 am

The nationwide agencies offer unlimited miles. It's usually the discount brand mom and pops, ex Joe Schmoe's LA Junk Car Rental, that have different policies. Enterprise neighborhood stores frequently have geographic restrictions and, for monthly renters, mileage caps.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP/CK, SPG LT Platinum(RIP), Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Australian Tour

11,000 miles in 15 days, started and ended in Brisbane, and drove to Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Alice Springs, Darwin, Geraldton, Perth, and Cairns. One of the best experiences of my travelling life.. Drove a Toyota Rav4 with unlimited miles from Hertz.

Penlin
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:00 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TheBagman
I'll throw my hat in first with:

8424 miles in 15 days
Drove approx MCI-YEV-FAI-MCI
Grand Marquis with about 3k miles on it at the start
On returning the car (non-airport), the guy checked the odometer came inside and started typing on the computer...paused staring at the screen, then without speaking, grabbed the keys and went back outside and checked the odometer again. He came back inside and asked me how many weeks I'd had the car. Then said "wow, that's a lot of miles", shrugged, and gave me my receipt.
Classic.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 9:30 am

Quite recently - on a 5-day trip from Washington, DC to Prince Edward Island (June 30-July 4). I don't get a ton of time off from work so I squeeze in as much as I can into three day weekends and a five day stretch like that is a bona fide vacation.

Since I'm new to the east coast I decided to go as far as a I could into uncharted territory. PEI always appealed to me...here's a general summary of the drive.

Day 1 - DC to Portland, ME (all interstate/toll road driving)
Day 2 - Portland to Saint John, NB (mostly via US Route 1)
Day 3 - Saint John to Charlottetown, PEI (with a stopover at Fundy National Park and Hopewell Cape, lots of crappy side roads)
Day 4 - Drive around central PEI then back to Saint John via a dip down into Amherst, Nova Scotia.
Day 5 - An epic 21-hour (with stops) 1,000-mile jaunt from Saint John to DC via Vermont and upstate New York (just to see something new and avert interstate holiday traffic). Left at 6 a.m. Atlantic Time and got back at 2:30 a.m. Eastern Time on July 5th. Returned the car around 11 a.m. the next day and got to work around noon.

That was 2,500 miles accrued in 5 days. The rental began at around 29700 and I got to take it over 30, 31 and 32k. Not bad for a Hertz junker (had scratches all over it) booked on priceline for $13 a day.

Originally Posted by Yaatri
About 4800 on a two week rental. I drove to work every day (10 days) and drove home on the weekends (Biloxi, Mississippi to Maryland)
26x2x10(Apt to work) +5x2x2(grocery shopping)+1069x2x2(home)=4816 miles.
The two biggest chunks of the miles was put on the weekends, about 2190 miles from Fri morning to Monday morning, or 2138 miles from Friday evening to Monday morning. It was brutal driving 1050 miles almost nonstop and then show up at work at 8 in the morning.
Unless you had three day weekends to work with this seems on the brink of insanity. How much time did you have in Biloxi between drives?

Last edited by weekendroady; Jul 30, 2011 at 9:32 am Reason: left off total mileage
Old Jul 30, 2011, 10:37 am
Suspended

Got a mini van three days ago.. and will be doing Calfornia Coastal drive to San Fran tomorrow..

Don't know how many miles.. but it seems that we'll get good use out of our 11 day rental..
Old Jul 30, 2011, 10:46 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LT Titanium, UA Silver, AA PLT
Did a roadtrip with a few friends in a rental car. Three people in a Chevy Cobalt... being in that car was not the best part of the trip, although we did luck out and get one with satellite radio.

~4500 miles over a week or so

Philadelphia->Kansas->Denver->Boulder->Oklahoma City->Memphis->Philly
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:20 am
Suspended

About 1800. Kanas City to Des Moines and back to Kansas City then to St. Louis and then St. Louis to Tusla, ending with Tulsa to OKC.

Worst week EVER!!
Old Jul 30, 2011, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Around 1200 miles, rent it at toronto, '11 Ford focus with only 600 km, used it for niagara falls and montreal, 4 days rental, came back with 2600 km and lots of insects in the front bumpers I don't feel guilty though, they charge me $10 more for something like 3rd party insurance because I don't bring my insurance card with me and they said CC doesn't cover it. Whether it's bs charge or not, I don't know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.