Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Most miles you've ever put on an 'unlimited miles' car rental?

Old Jun 28, 2011, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum

What is the most miles you've ever put on an 'unlimited miles' rental in a single go?
Where did you go?
How long?
What kind of vehicle?
What was your experience upon returning the vehicle?
Old Jun 28, 2011, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum
I'll throw my hat in first with:

8424 miles in 15 days
Drove approx MCI-YEV-FAI-MCI
Grand Marquis with about 3k miles on it at the start
On returning the car (non-airport), the guy checked the odometer came inside and started typing on the computer...paused staring at the screen, then without speaking, grabbed the keys and went back outside and checked the odometer again. He came back inside and asked me how many weeks I'd had the car. Then said "wow, that's a lot of miles", shrugged, and gave me my receipt.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 11:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Can't remember.. but probably Big Island.. put on 2,500 in 15 days..

LOL.. you win..
Old Jun 29, 2011, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
3000+ miles in 40 hours, driving Washington DC to Seattle after 9/11. Avis gave us an unlimited-miles deal before figuring out that stranded businesspeople represented a huge, exploitable business opportunity. By the time we got back to Seattle folks trying to get home were being shafted right and left with insane drop-off or mileage fees.
SPN Lifer and DutchessPDX like this.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 5:06 am

Programs: AB Platinum (AB4EVA), IHG Diamond, Dominos Gold
I recently didn't do that many miles at all but for some reason it appears that a previous renter did and they didn't track the mileage appropriately.

Got a receipt for a weekend rental showing I did 7600kms over three days.

I argued at the counter, afraid it may flag me (don't give him the good / low mileage cars anymore ) but they wouldn't change it just repeated that I had unlimited mileage anyway.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 5:10 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
I rented a Nissan Altima fairly cheaply from an independent outfit in Vancouver and returned it 10 weeks later with around 8,000+ miles added to it. I'd basically driven it to Florida and back in a roundabout sort of way, during a 12 month break from work to travel round the world. The guy did a huge double take when he checked the car over (it had only had about a thousand on it when I picked it up). No problems though. Even got free coffee cups with the name of the firm on them for being such a good customer!
Old Jun 29, 2011, 6:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Probably over 2,500 in a Ford Fusion, driving from MDT to MCO for a long weekend. However, in two different cars, with about a week break in between rentals, probably closer to 4,000 or 5,000. They were insurance rentals, and we racked up the miles because we could.

Picked up the first one four days after we moved into our house, because a girl making a right out of a gas station swung it wide, and hit my Jeep, from behind the driver's side front tire all the way back to the driver's side rear tire, while I was stopped and fully in my left-turn lane, because her coffee spilled. Easiest insurance claim ever! She took responsibility at the scene and was cited. Claims person called me, I related what happened, five minutes later, they called me back and said, "We're accepting full liability. Where do you want us to send the rental authorization?"

Had that car for 7 weeks before picking up my Jeep. Picked it up on the Tuesday before Christmas, that Sunday, the driver's side rear wheel fell off of the vehicle. It actually fell out of the differential or whatever that big ball thing is. If you've heard Ron White's tire story, you know what I told Mr. Kipper. Picked up another rental car that Monday. Had that one for a month, including the drive to MCO.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:30 am

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, Delta Skymiles
Not me personally, but the author of one of my favorite blogs/websites put around 8,000 during a 30 day rental traveling during March Madness this year...

http://www.midmajority.com/p/2006
Old Jun 29, 2011, 9:57 am

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
Around 5000 km in a BMW 630i in the space of a week, of which I didn't drive at all for 4 of those days. Nice car if you need to cover long distances in a hurry, and don't have any passengers to worry about.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:04 am

~2,700 mi, one-way from San Francisco to NY.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:50 am

15000+ KM in a matter of 14 days. Was a fun two weeks seeing friends and stuff internationally.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:53 am

About 650 miles in 14 hours. Some equipment was delivered the the wrong datacenter. To keep a project moving, rented a minivan and shuttled the equipment over to the proper site. Then a turned around and went home. When I was returning the van, the agent paused for a second and did a doubletake but didn't say anything.

Originally Posted by BearX220
3000+ miles in 40 hours, driving Washington DC to Seattle after 9/11. Avis gave us an unlimited-miles deal before figuring out that stranded businesspeople represented a huge, exploitable business opportunity. By the time we got back to Seattle folks trying to get home were being shafted right and left with insane drop-off or mileage fees.
BearX220, you just jogged some memories and I'm going OT. The office I worked at on 9/11 had dozens of people on the road and corporate told everyone to get home no matter the cost. Some took the bus, some took the train, one even had his sister in law drive him. The best stories came from those that were able to get rental cars. Besides the rental staples like Ford Taurii, Chevy Impala, and Dodge Avengers, people grabbed any vehicle they could. 4 engineers managed to squeeze into a Mitsubishi Eclipse for a 1,000+ mile drive. There were quite a few got Jaguars, Corvettes, Mustangs, and other luxury brands. Some folks got Ryder and U-Haul box trucks. Need to track down the pic where we took the motley collection to the back of the parking lot and snapped a pic.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

About 600 within a 1-day rental.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:03 pm

3000 miles in ten days, driving holiday from DC up to Quebec and Ontario
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:09 pm

According to Mapquest calculations of city center to city center...4745 miles over 2 weeks in a Buick LeSabre back in the winter of 2001 from Maryville, TN to Southern California with stops in several places in Texas, Oklahoma and Alabama. I would guess the actual mileage would be closer to 5500 once all the side trips were calculated in.

The route map looks like an infinity sign.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.