Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Most miles you've ever put on an 'unlimited miles' car rental?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most miles you've ever put on an 'unlimited miles' car rental?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:53 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
I've had 3 rentals where I've put 1500 miles on in a week or less - Yellowstone trip & the Big Island.

However, my father (who won't fly) wanted to visit my sister who moved to SEA. I help him rent a car, dirt cheap with the help of flyertalk, and he put over 7000 miles on a 3 week rental.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
On the flip side of this, I rented a truck from a nearby U-Haul place to move to a new apartment about a mile away. It was something like $19.95 plus 70 cents a mile, and I guess the mileage is where they make most of the money. The franchise seemed very disappointed when I returned it 10 hours later having driven only 5 miles.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 1:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by swag
On the flip side of this, I rented a truck from a nearby U-Haul place to move to a new apartment about a mile away. It was something like $19.95 plus 70 cents a mile, and I guess the mileage is where they make most of the money. The franchise seemed very disappointed when I returned it 10 hours later having driven only 5 miles.
Way to work the deal.^
Old Jun 30, 2011, 4:37 am
Suspended

About 4800 on a two week rental. I drove to work every day (10 days) and drove home on the weekends (Biloxi, Mississippi to Maryland)
26x2x10(Apt to work) +5x2x2(grocery shopping)+1069x2x2(home)=4816 miles.
The two biggest chunks of the miles was put on the weekends, about 2190 miles from Fri morning to Monday morning, or 2138 miles from Friday evening to Monday morning. It was brutal driving 1050 miles almost nonstop and then show up at work at 8 in the morning.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 5:02 am

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Just turned in a vehicle yesterday. 1 month rental. 7,000 miles and change.

That's the most for me. Also the first time I rented a car for 1 whole month.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 6:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by swag
When we need to rent from U-Haul, we usually rent a trailer. They don't charge mileage on in-town trailer rentals.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Longest 1-day rental: approx. 1,100 miles, DCA to MCI. I found a quote that had a high daily rate but no mileage charges and no drop fee. 17 hours of road time and a little under 7 hours at a Hampton Inn in Illinois...made the drop off with about 30 minutes to spare.

Longest weekend rental: about 1,600. Kansas City area to central Colorado and back. Best part: that was an HLE rental with a ridiculously cheap weekend rate.

I don't feel too guilty though. I've also done enough short business rentals over the years at $50+ per day with all of the fees where I drove few miles at all. I've also had large client projects where we rented 20 or 30 cars on monthly rates ($600-800/mo.) and people drove them less than 5 miles per day on average. (To/from their nearby corporate apartments, out to dinner in the area, that kind of thing...)

So they've gotten enough high-margin rentals from me that I doubt they're going to put me on any kind of sh** list for driving too much.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 1:36 pm

Programs: Delta PM, IC Ambassador, Marriott Gold
I find in amusing that someone like Yaatri with 4800 miles in two weeks put more on a rental than the 4000 I've put on my own personal car in the last two years. Mostly, because I'm always driving rentals
Old Jun 30, 2011, 1:51 pm
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
2,000 in 5 days. BOS-CLE-DTW-YYZ-PIT-NYC-BOS. Five games in five days, with the last being a Sox/Yankees game.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 2:49 pm

Programs: FB Gold Privilege
Me and my 2 adventurist friends did a minivan trip around the US twice.

1st time: 6 days @ 6500 miles (Chrysler Town & Country)
2nd time: 9 days @ 8500 miles (Ford Windstar)

First time the counter agent asked me how many miles I had put on the van, I answered 6500, then he told me "How many miles did you put on it, not what the odometer is saying", and then he had to ask this question again until he realized what had happened.

Places visited were of the sort: Grand Canyon, LA, Las Vegas, Sequoia Nat'l Park, Memphis, Chicago, Denver, Rockies, Smokeys, Yellowstone, Mt Rushmore,...

My next trip is to Alaska and I plan on beating that record.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Two entries:

1. 3300 miles in 3.5 days, solo, Seattle WA to Norfolk VA. 2 days after 9/11

2. 3200 miles in 10 days in a 15-passenger van with 10 people, family sightseeing trip LA-Grand Canyon-Las Vegas-San Francisco-Portland-LA, and places in between. I drove the entire time. (2010)
Old Jun 30, 2011, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by fjord
My next trip is to Alaska and I plan on beating that record.
Fjord, see my routing in the second post. It's a great, but rough trip.

By the time we were done, we had changed the oil once, repaired the windshield once, removed several sharp, rocks from the tires, touched up the paint in several places where the paint was chipped down to the metal, and also spent 4 hours washing the entire car inside and out, including removing all the wheels and power washing them and wiping dust off every surface.

I guess that's why you're not supposed to drive them on gravel roads for 900 consecutive miles.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA Gld, Bonvoy Ambassador (LT Gold)
My best was ~1200 miles in 4 days back in May. MSY-LIT-IND-LEX-SDF. Major flight cancelations, delays, etc caused us to just say screw it and rent a car. Probably got 8 hours of sleep total that week. Never again.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL,EK
3887 miles in 14 days from Fort Worth TX to Reno NV... and only 75 miles of it on the interstate.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 3:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; BA GGL; Virgin Gold; United Silver; Hilton Dia; IHG Spire; Marriott Tit; Hertz PC
Just over 2000 miles in 3 days driving solo from Minneapolis to Yellowstone on Labor Day w/e going out on the 94 and back on the 90.

Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore, Black Hills, National Parks, War sites, 5 new states, a lot of cruise control, regular coke and not much sleep...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.