Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

if the post office charges the same price for 8-mile and 8000-mile trips, why can't a

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

if the post office charges the same price for 8-mile and 8000-mile trips, why can't a

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Sandra_D
I don't pretend to understand the post office's logic or financial wisdom.
That is the logic of postage swamps, discovered for the Black Penny in 1840.

It was realized that the biggest part of the cost of mail delivery was sorting mail and seeing to it that each letter reached correct destination. The costs that depended on actual distance were small - carrying a mailbag with 1000 letters for hundreds of miles was cheaper than walking to each 1000 mailbox at destination etc. So the stamps had flat rate within a certain reasonable distance and weight limit.

However, how far the flat rate should extend....
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
Last check the US Postal service was losing billions every year?

If airlines did flat rate they wouldn't be able to maximize on premium routes and be able to offer you those $49 one way fares.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by geclub1
Postal Service is a monopoly. So your flat-rate airline needs to be a monopoly for this single-price model to work.
Where on earth did you get that idea? Half the reason the Postal Service is losing so much money is that it is not a monopoly. For packages, it competes with UPS, DHL, Fedex, for letters, it competes with E-mail and fax, and the Internet (pay your bills online). However, unlike its competitors, the Postal Service is required to serve all addresses and all clients in the country, and its rates are regulated by the Federal Government.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
However, unlike its competitors, the Postal Service is required to serve all addresses and all clients in the country, and its rates are regulated by the Federal Government.
Are there places within the U.S. that FedEx and UPS don't serve? I once even sent a FedEx package to a remote Alaskan village that's only accessible by single-propeller 4-seater planes. The runway(actaully, the main street) was closed because the town's only snow removal truck broke its blade, causing my package to be late by 3 days.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Are there places within the U.S. that FedEx and UPS don't serve? I once even sent a FedEx package to a remote Alaskan village that's only accessible by single-propeller 4-seater planes. The runway(actaully, the main street) was closed because the town's only snow removal truck broke its blade, causing my package to be late by 3 days.
I am not certain whether they will deliver anywhere, but I am confident that they don't pick up everywhere.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, Hilton Honors
As far as letters and first class postage goes - yes it is the same whether you are mailing across the street or across the country. And this is one reason the critics claim the USPS is losing money.

Priority flat rate domestic shipping is very good and If you can ship cheaper without using flat rate, you have the option to do so.

If you ship internationally from the US flat rate makes your life so much easier. If your item fits in a flat rate box, you can ship it virtually anywhere on earth for a flat rate: this makes it very easy to quote prices and if you print your postage online, it is even cheaper.

Last edited by u2fan; Dec 16, 2010 at 9:09 pm
Old Dec 16, 2010, 7:09 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Airlines also don't charge strictly by distance. For example, a flight from Edinburgh to Stornoway would probably cost more than a flight from Edinburgh to London. And I well remember when a return LHR-JFK cost just twice as much as an LHR-BFS return. Plenty of FTers have worked out that it is sometimes cheaper to go Milan-London-New York than just from London to New York. One way tickets are seldom only 50% of the return fare.

So whilst airlines don't do flat fees, they certainly don't do a price by mile.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 1:43 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
if the post office charges the same price for 8-mile and 8000-mile trips, why can't airlines do the same?

I was sending out christmas presents and it was a zoo at the local post office.(duh!)

Among my packages were two identical sets of DVDs(complete Start Trek series plus others). Each package weighed in at just over 9 pounds. I shipped them in priority mail flat rate boxes. One is going just 8 miles away to my nephew, while the other one is going a little more than 8000 miles to my cousin in Guam. What surprised me was the both packages cost exactly the same to ship. I don't pretend to understand the post office's logic or financial wisdom.
Because likely, after the government subsidies, the average price charged on all packages is enough to cover it all. Likely you are being overcharged on your 8 mile package in favor of speedy service for the handful of people who live on Guam.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Care to also address why flat-rate systems like the USPS and our public transportation systems continue to rely on public funds never earning a profit?
Old Dec 18, 2010, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by kebosabi
Care to also address why flat-rate systems like the USPS and our public transportation systems continue to rely on public funds never earning a profit?
The USPS has received no direct tax dollars for most of its history.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 2:55 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by rjw242
The USPS has received no direct tax dollars for most of its history.
Really?
http://directmag.com/news/marketing_...ons_bill_cuts/
The USPS, ..., receives the money each year to recoup some of the costs associated with handling free and reduced-rate mail, and to help it recover some of the money it lost in previous years' processing. Items falling under the free and reduced-rate category include no-cost government mailings and the mailings of nonprofit charities, which by law, pay lower than regular rates.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Combat Medic
Fine, received insignificant federal funding for most of its history.

Far fewer tax dollars than many Fortune 500 companies, anyway.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 3:13 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by rjw242
Fine, received insignificant federal funding for most of its history.

Far fewer tax dollars than many Fortune 500 companies, anyway.
Most Fortune 500 companies don't have sovereign immunity or eminent domain powers either.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:41 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
I seem to recall an old story. Perhaps an urban legend. Going back at least 25 years. About a contractor in Alaska who was tasked with building a structure in a remote Alaskan village that was accessible only by air. As the story went, the contract specified cinder block construction and obviously transporting a huge consignment of cinder blocks to someplace accessible only by air is an expensive proposition. Quotes for transporting the cinder blocks were in the $150,000 range. Then some enterprising employee calculated that taking the number of cinder blocks required and individually packaging, addressing them and applying the proper postage would only cost $50,000 thus they dropped the whole load off at the post office in Anchorage who were none to thrilled about the circumstances but none the less had no choice but to deliver the "packages" to the proper address no mater what the cost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.