Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Judged by backpacks when you check into 5* hotels/fly F?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2009, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: I am a lowly ant

I've always been a backpack man, since a case with wheels wasn't much use when travelling through Cambodia or whatever.

Now I have two kids and we still use backpacks. I do feel quite self-conscious checking into a $500/night hotel with them, or even walking into the lobby some times.

Does anyone else feel this? Or when flying J/F?

It's a bit silly in a way, because a 80l backpack is actually more expensive than a generic suitcase, which nobody would look at.

But I guess the association is with 'dirty backpackers' staying in hostels rather than the price of the luggage.

Any thoughts on the backpack vs. suitcase issue?
Old Oct 22, 2009, 9:29 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Your money is still green (unless you are in a country with more colorful money). I'm sure hotels get all sorts of people. I've never let it bother me. On long flights, I generally have a daypack sort of backpack whether I'm up front or in the back. I expect the same service whether I'm dressed well or not. And besides when I travel, I tend not to wear/take my good clothes anyway.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Don't give it a second thought. 5* places are generally much more accommodating that 3* places that would like to think they're actually 5*. Everyone is treated with discretion and respect.

When I used to travel with a small child we were treated horribly in mid-tier places, the 5* places bent over backwards to accommodate us.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 10:09 am

Perhaps you should consider simply hiring a local, who is always two steps behind you, to carry your backpack.

That way, when you are checking in for a flight or at the hotel desk, you can simply summon the fellow by clicking your fingers and exclaiming "pack horse" or some other appropriate moniker, and all will see that although you may use a backpack, you clearly belong amongst the affluent class.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by manneca
Your money is still green (unless you are in a country with more colorful money).

There are enough threads on here to suggest that people might assume you don't have any money and are in the wrong place, if you don't conform to their expectations.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 10:37 am

Programs: /usr/bin
I feel your pain. I travel almost exclusively with a backpack. I stay in $10 a night backpacker hostels, but sometimes I splurge (or cash in points) and stay some place nice. I also fly mostly J when traveling internationally.

Personally, I get a kick out of it. There's nothing you can do about it. People are going to judge you. I try and be as polite as possible and let people make idiots of themselves when they make incorrect judgments.

A Delta lady physically blocked me from entering the BusinessElite checkin line and told me "everyone has to use the Kiosk". She never asked me if I was flying B/E, she just assumed I wasn't. When I politely insisted that I'd rather use the line she demanded my boarding pass and begrudgingly let me proceed. I think my smirk communicated more than any amount of words could have
Old Oct 22, 2009, 11:31 am

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
deleted

Last edited by Mr H; Oct 22, 2009 at 1:01 pm
Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Mr H
This makes it look as though you enjoy confrontation and sought it out here. Why didn't you just walk up to her and say "Good morning, I have a business class ticket"? That would have taken all the confrontation out of it.

People who get a kick out of humiliating staff are no friends of mine. I judge people by their manners, not their backpacks.
I wasn't looking for confrontation, but I was confronted when she singled me out and blocked my entrance to the check-in line. I shouldn't have to announce "I'm flying business class" before I get in line or take my seat on the plane.

I thought it was funny that she singled me out because I didn't fit her profile, hence the smirk.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:31 pm

This makes it look as though you enjoy confrontation and sought it out here. Why didn't you just walk up to her and say "Good morning, I have a business class ticket"? That would have taken all the confrontation out of it.

People who get a kick out of humiliating staff are no friends of mine. I judge people by their manners, not their backpacks.
Except in this case the staff deserved it (or perhaps worse).
Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:34 pm

deleted

Last edited by Mr H; Oct 22, 2009 at 1:01 pm
Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

The staff member tried to humiliate the pax, by directing him to the wrong line. If somebody is in the F line, it is never appropriate to say 'go stand over there', unless you have FIRST ascertained that they are in the wrong place.

Simply blocking someone's way is wrong.

The correct approach is 'Excuse me sir, may I see your boarding pass/ticket'

Or are you suggesting that everyone who wants to check in in any other than the cattle class lane should hold their ticket/FF card aloft, to avoid being pushed by staff judging by appearances?
Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:52 pm

What function do you think the line attendant serves then? Decoration? Or do you expect him or her to be psychic? Out of interest, how would you react if the line attendant didn't stop people and the queue filled up with people who were not entitled to use it?

I think showing your boarding pass is sufficient. Or are you one of the people who stands at the door of the plane and feigns surprise that you have to show it as you pat all your pockets holding everyone up?

A smirk implies smugness - suggesting you felt somehow superior.
As meester69 said, there is an important difference between politely asking for my boarding pass and immediately assuming that I don't belong there and directing me to a long queue at the kiosks.

If my natural reaction of smiling to being singled out makes me appear smug, so be it. If she had asked me for my boarding pass I would have politely complied. Despite what you seem to assume, I prefer pleasant exchanges to confrontation.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:55 pm

I've deleted earlier posts. There's no point in getting sucked into a personal argument.

Last edited by Mr H; Oct 22, 2009 at 1:02 pm
Old Oct 22, 2009, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by meester69
There are enough threads on here to suggest that people might assume you don't have any money and are in the wrong place, if you don't conform to their expectations.
It still happens, but less than it used to say closer to a decade ago or more.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 3:20 pm

I agree that — as a generalisation — you are probably more likely to be looked at askance in a three-star hotel with pretensions to hauteur than in a true five-star establishment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.