Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wing Glitz

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2009, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Wing Glitz

I have often wondered why planes sometimes have decorative panels on the end of wings. Yesterday I asked a flight attendant what they were, and she said they were wing glitz. This was a BD plane and the wing glitz consisted of funny go-faster shaped triangles with red bits painted on them. When I arrived at LHR, I saw that Virgin planes had Union Jacks painted on the ends of their wings, but the king of wing glitz had to be Royal Air Maroc, who had huge vertical extensions stuck on the ends of their wings - but they justs eemed to be white like the rest of the plane.

Has anyone else noticed the new fashion for wing glitz - which airlines have the glitziest wings?
Old Oct 2, 2009, 7:13 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, United Silver
Not 100% sure, but I think you are thinking of winglets
Old Oct 2, 2009, 7:15 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, M&M FTL, TK *G HHonors Gold
The correct word is winglets, and their function is to reduce drag/increase lift/lower the fuel consumption of the plane.

These are standard on some aircraft types, and has nothing to do with the airline - except on the 737NG, where they come as an option. The triangle-shaped one you saw on the BD-plane, are actually called "wingtip fences", and are standard on the Airbus A318/319/320/321.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 8:34 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Oops, I thought that they're called "wing bling."
Old Oct 2, 2009, 8:53 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Wing glitz - FANTASTIC!!!
Old Oct 2, 2009, 1:42 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
not bad but i kinda like wing bling myself <slithering off to the penalty box>
Old Oct 2, 2009, 1:57 pm

Programs: EBG, M&M Silver, BA Gold
Wing Glitz is so cute!!!
Old Oct 2, 2009, 4:36 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
And a new FT legend is born.

This one might even make it into the newsletter. The great "wing glitz vs. wing bling" debate.

Last edited by abmj-jr; Oct 2, 2009 at 5:43 pm
Old Oct 2, 2009, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Mr H
I have often wondered why planes sometimes have decorative panels on the end of wings. Yesterday I asked a flight attendant what they were, and she said they were wing glitz. This was a BD plane and the wing glitz consisted of funny go-faster shaped triangles with red bits painted on them. When I arrived at LHR, I saw that Virgin planes had Union Jacks painted on the ends of their wings, but the king of wing glitz had to be Royal Air Maroc, who had huge vertical extensions stuck on the ends of their wings - but they justs eemed to be white like the rest of the plane.

Has anyone else noticed the new fashion for wing glitz - which airlines have the glitziest wings?
You Brits are so adorable.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I have often wondered why planes sometimes have decorative panels on the end of wings...
I've often wondered why planes have those big decorative panels sticking up at the rear of the fuselage to hold a nice, big logo. Advertising?

Seriously: no aircraft that has to fly at 500+ mph, maximizing payload and range while minimizing fuel consumption, will carry anything on the outside that doesn't have a flight-related function. Some of them might be painted in decorative ways, but a purely decorative panel? Ain't gonna happen.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 8:32 pm

Programs: /usr/bin
Originally Posted by Efrem
Seriously: no aircraft that has to fly at 500+ mph, maximizing payload and range while minimizing fuel consumption, will carry anything on the outside that doesn't have a flight-related function. Some of them might be painted in decorative ways, but a purely decorative panel? Ain't gonna happen.
Obviously you've never heard of wing glitz before.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by gt_croz
Obviously you've never heard of wing glitz before.
Obviously you didn't check to see which thread you were posting in before.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 9:58 pm

Programs: Skywards, Velocity Rewards
I saw that Virgin planes had Union Jacks painted on the ends of their wings, but the king of wing glitz had to be Royal Air Maroc, who had huge vertical extensions stuck on the ends of their wings - but they justs eemed to be white like the rest of the plane.
You know how they say you can tell "certain things" about a man by the size of his hands or feet?

I wonder, can one make certain conclusions about the "status" of the airline or the nation it represents by the size or colour of their aircraft's "wing glitz".

Last edited by 17thousandkm; Oct 4, 2009 at 11:31 pm Reason: Spelling, grammar
Old Oct 5, 2009, 5:56 am

Programs: AA PLT
Wing Glitz

Soon we'll see winglets pierced and adorned with earrings or even winglet art with scenes of sunsets in Hawaii. Yes, very much like the ladies at the CVS counter or at La Carreta at MIA.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow. Over 3 months later and this thread has not yet made it to TalkMail?

It seemed to have so much potential...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.