Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance/Oneworld Award Planning with Award Nexus

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2010, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rom Sac
Small change: would it be possible to update the title when the search is done? I often switch to a different tab as it runs in the background, and it would be nice to know that the search has completed.

Larger change: what about supporting multiple origins/destinations in a single query? For example, suppose I'm trying to get from ORD to LHR/FRA/CDG in a certain class and time range. It would be great to be able to make this a single query. This is especially valuable during high-demand periods, or when searching for more than 1 seat.
Good point. The title is now changed for the waiting page.

Have you tried using the Route Builder? If you leave either TO or FROM empty, it will build a ORD-LHR,FRA,CDG search for you.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:44 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, AA 1MM, UA 1MM
Route builder

I'm having trouble with route builder. If I leave to or from empty I get an error. For example, if I enter from: ORD to: [blank] it says "At least one segment is needed to build routes." I'm sure I'm missing something, probably I'm just being dense.

It works if I fill in both the from: and to: fields, and then to put a list of transits points. If you enter from: ORD to: GVA transit: FRA,MUC it will create a query for ORD-FRA-GVA and ORD-MUC-GVA (i.e., generate a search for 4 single segments).

One feature that route builder exploits, and that perhaps should be better documented, is that you can search from one source to many destinations in the same query. So for instance I can do a single-segment query for ORD-FRA, ORD-MUC, etc (it even defaults nicely to providing the same number of seats and class of service). It wasn't immediately obvious to me that ANX can do this -- I'm used to engines that are designed to search for round trips, or connecting flights.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

I'm having trouble with route builder. If I leave to or from empty I get an error. For example, if I enter from: ORD to: [blank] it says "At least one segment is needed to build routes." I'm sure I'm missing something, probably I'm just being dense.
Did you pick a date? The multi-destination or multi-origin works by building all the transit points TO or FROM. You need either (or both) TO or FROM, a date, and at least one transit point.

I did: From ORD to (blank), on 08/01/10, with transit points in FRA,MUC, which got built as ORD-FRA and ORD-MUC.

One feature that route builder exploits, and that perhaps should be better documented, is that you can search from one source to many destinations in the same query. So for instance I can do a single-segment query for ORD-FRA, ORD-MUC, etc
I am a little confused by what you are referring to. It seems from your second description that you did get the multi-origin/multi-destination to work?
Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I think I'm a good test subject because I have lots of AA, BA, and UA miles and want to fly from PDX to PEK around 8-12. I know UA has seats in biz on 8-11, but I'm my dream would be swing JL F. When I searched for PDX-PEK, I ended up with a 1-1-11 calender that focussed on flights between places other than PDX and OZ, even when I "unchecked" all of the OZ searches.

I'm guessing that I'm overlooking something obvious.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by ckpeter
Did you pick a date? The multi-destination or multi-origin works by building all the transit points TO or FROM. You need either (or both) TO or FROM, a date, and at least one transit point.
Thanks, this is the piece of information I was missing. I think if you just put your sentence above in the description on the route builder page it would be helpful.

I am a little confused by what you are referring to. It seems from your second description that you did get the multi-origin/multi-destination to work?
I actually just built the query by hand. The query I'm trying to do is essentially "ORD to anywhere in Europe". I think that I now understand how to do this with route builder.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
I think I'm a good test subject because I have lots of AA, BA, and UA miles and want to fly from PDX to PEK around 8-12. I know UA has seats in biz on 8-11, but I'm my dream would be swing JL F. When I searched for PDX-PEK, I ended up with a 1-1-11 calender that focussed on flights between places other than PDX and OZ, even when I "unchecked" all of the OZ searches.

I'm guessing that I'm overlooking something obvious.
moondog, I have benefited much from your posts in the China forum. it is an honor to have you.

However, I don't see your user name listed in the database. What's the user name you used to register for ANX?
Old Jul 18, 2010, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Thanks, this is the piece of information I was missing. I think if you just put your sentence above in the description on the route builder page it would be helpful.
That's a good point. I added more details to the error message to clarify.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 9:25 am

moondog, I have benefited much from your posts in the China forum. it is an honor to have you.

However, I don't see your user name listed in the database. What's the user name you used to register for ANX?
I guess I overlooked the registration requirement some how. I am interested in testing out your program. Thanks.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
I guess I overlooked the registration requirement some how. I am interested in testing out your program. Thanks.
Oh, that explains it. I was wondering how you can have problem with ANX, when you are not even a registered user.

Please sign up for the preview here. As my compliment, please check the box for community involvement - if you don't have any listed qualification, just put a link to any post of yours in the China forum.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 12:36 pm

Oh, that explains it. I was wondering how you can have problem with ANX, when you are not even a registered user.

Please sign up for the preview here. As my compliment, please check the box for community involvement - if you don't have any listed qualification, just put a link to any post of yours in the China forum.
Thanks. I'm in

ETA: I really like it. Much easier than trying to stay on top of ana.co.jp, ba.com, aa.com, and united.com.

Last edited by moondog; Jul 18, 2010 at 4:08 pm
Old Jul 20, 2010, 6:03 pm

I'm seeing some bugs today for the first time. If you search on ANA for FRA-JFK on August 1, it shows an indirect route with no availability FRA-BOS but with room on US2113 and US2137 BOS-LGA in "F" (my scare quotes, not theirs...)

ANX is now returning this as a solution FRA-JFK. This didn't happen before.

Please fix my favorite toy
Old Jul 20, 2010, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

I'm seeing some bugs today for the first time. If you search on ANA for FRA-JFK on August 1, it shows an indirect route with no availability FRA-BOS but with room on US2113 and US2137 BOS-LGA in "F" (my scare quotes, not theirs...)

ANX is now returning this as a solution FRA-JFK. This didn't happen before.

Please fix my favorite toy
Thank you! An hour ago, I pushed out an enhancement for the ANA engine that intelligently mixes cabins for First/Business awards, but looks like a bug slipped through.

It has been fixed and no more scary domestic flight without an international arrival flight.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 7:11 pm

Thank you! An hour ago, I pushed out an enhancement for the ANA engine that intelligently mixes cabins for First/Business awards, but looks like a bug slipped through.

It has been fixed and no more scary domestic flight without an international arrival flight.
Glad to help.

Could you arrange it so that whenever there is a domestic connection in "F", LH, LX and SQ will also release premium seats? You would be the most popular FT member EVER
Old Jul 20, 2010, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Glad to help.

Could you arrange it so that whenever there is a domestic connection in "F", LH, LX and SQ will also release premium seats? You would be the most popular FT member EVER
If I could, I would.

As a general service announcement: please do not submit concurrent search requests. My personal server can only handle one search at a time, and multiple searches will delay other people's searches.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
GIG is supported but:

The QFF website doesn't allow searches with the first segment starting in South America (for some unfathomable reason). So I need to do a mulitisegment search putting a dummy segment in for the 1st flight eg

Segment 1 BNE-SYD
segment 2 GIG-BCN

Thanks for looking at this
Thanks again, 3544quebec, for your report.

It took me some time, but I implemented new QF engine that uses multi-city with a dummy first segment to search. As a result, GIG-BCN is now support.

The even better news is that, with the multi-city search, CX flights are starting to show up too, which I didn't see before with the oneway search. This is great, as QF is now almost as good as BA in terms of Oneworld coverage (missing only JL, RJ, and MX), while being much faster in search time.

Last edited by ckpeter; Jul 22, 2010 at 10:01 am Reason: Added RJ as missing from QF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.