Star Alliance/Oneworld Award Planning with Award Nexus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance/Oneworld Award Planning with Award Nexus

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2010, 4:22 am

Results Filters...... need combo info

So I like the filters that show direct flights, cabin classes, aircraft type, etc. However, the problem is that you can only see one at a time. For me, the most important aspects are the airline and flight class.

If I see a flight in first, but it ends up being united, well I may not be as happy as if it were OZ or NH or SQ, especially if it is in a old 777.

Of course I can click on the date and look at details, but i think through color coding, using airline codes, cabin class codes, aircraft codes, there could be a way for us to get more useful information faster, without it stretching the size of the calendar boxes.

Also, for those who are doing multi-city searches on one screen, including the airport codes would be great too so we know what we are looking at without using the route check boxes. Yes it will be a little cluttered, but for those of us who want to unleash the power by just looking at the screen with minimal clicking, it would be great. Then when we see something we like, we can click the day to get the deets.

So the result for ANA searches could look something like this: (SFO/NRT)UA837(F)774 - (NRT/PVG)CA930(Y)772

You can call it the kitchen sink setting. While it is on par with the length of the airports setting, those with large screens shouldn't have an issue.

Also, if there would be some way in a account prefs pane to set the default view we want to be presented with each time we run a search would be great.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by RufussCkingston
So I like the filters that show direct flights, cabin classes, aircraft type, etc. However, the problem is that you can only see one at a time. For me, the most important aspects are the airline and flight class.

If I see a flight in first, but it ends up being united, well I may not be as happy as if it were OZ or NH or SQ, especially if it is in a old 777.

Of course I can click on the date and look at details, but i think through color coding, using airline codes, cabin class codes, aircraft codes, there could be a way for us to get more useful information faster, without it stretching the size of the calendar boxes.

Also, for those who are doing multi-city searches on one screen, including the airport codes would be great too so we know what we are looking at without using the route check boxes. Yes it will be a little cluttered, but for those of us who want to unleash the power by just looking at the screen with minimal clicking, it would be great. Then when we see something we like, we can click the day to get the deets.

So the result for ANA searches could look something like this: (SFO/NRT)UA837(F)774 - (NRT/PVG)CA930(Y)772

You can call it the kitchen sink setting. While it is on par with the length of the airports setting, those with large screens shouldn't have an issue.

Also, if there would be some way in a account prefs pane to set the default view we want to be presented with each time we run a search would be great.
Airline+flight class is a standard filter though, and should be set to default anyways. And I do agree about the route check option.

Last edited by arietal; Aug 19, 2010 at 11:53 am
Old Aug 5, 2010, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by arietal
Airline+flight class is a standard filter though, and should be set to default anyways. And I do agree about the route check option.
The default is just flight numbers. You have to click on the day and move the mouse over the line on the right to get the flight class.

Also, another kitchen sink addition could be to do away with clicking on the day. Instead, when you move the mouse over a day, a popup menu comes up where you can then keep moving the mouse over one of the results in the list that are now in the popup and as you go over it, you get the same result as you would when you move the mouse to the right of the screen after clicking on a day. Gets' rid of the right list and keeps our attention on the calendar. There could be a bar at the top of the day square that one could click to put the info on the right if one wants to keep it up and there are more results than the square can display without hovering over it.

Last edited by RufussCkingston; Aug 5, 2010 at 7:25 pm
Old Aug 5, 2010, 11:12 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, QR Platinum, KL Gold
two bugs:
  • the option to show direct flights only does not seem to do anything for me
  • the date chooser always falls back to starting with the current date instead of what's currently in the date box
Old Aug 5, 2010, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by L4ibsch
two bugs:
  • the option to show direct flights only does not seem to do anything for me
  • the date chooser always falls back to starting with the current date instead of what's currently in the date box
How is the connection limit not working for you? Picking "Direct flights only" should result in only non-stop/direct flights showing on the calendar, and it seems to be working for me.

The date picker had a logic bug for the first segment, which I just fixed. If you were referring to another bug, please do specify.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RufussCkingston
The default is just flight numbers. You have to click on the day and move the mouse over the line on the right to get the flight class.

Also, another kitchen sink addition could be to do away with clicking on the day. Instead, when you move the mouse over a day, a popup menu comes up where you can then keep moving the mouse over one of the results in the list that are now in the popup and as you go over it, you get the same result as you would when you move the mouse to the right of the screen after clicking on a day. Gets' rid of the right list and keeps our attention on the calendar. There could be a bar at the top of the day square that one could click to put the info on the right if one wants to keep it up and there are more results than the square can display without hovering over it.
Thanks for all the comments on the calendar view.

There used to be a filter option to include/exclude by airlines, but I took it away when the filter area became cluttered. You can see how it works if you click on the demo links in the first post (the demo page is old).

There are lots of way of showing the information, but I also have to temper the complexity, so that all the controls do not become overwhelming - its a tricky trade-off.

I am working on a new view option that should give much higher information density for the viewer. I will incorporate your suggestions as I design it.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 7:30 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, QR Platinum, KL Gold
Date picker logic is indeed fixed. Thank you very much.

Even if I chose "direct flights only" all flights are still showing. I'm using Chromium browser.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 8:02 am

Award options not updating

Just started testing it - fantastic tool!

I'm not sure if this is intentional, but when I click an option on the left to filter certain flights, it only updates the calendar and not the 'choose and option' pane on the right. Screen shot below.

I'm using Google Chrome 5.0.375.125 on Windows XP Professional

Old Aug 6, 2010, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by L4ibsch
Even if I chose "direct flights only" all flights are still showing. I'm using Chromium browser.
Thanks for the report. Chrome was the odd browser out. I fixed it.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gsforfree
I'm not sure if this is intentional, but when I click an option on the left to filter certain flights, it only updates the calendar and not the 'choose and option' pane on the right...
EDIT: Seems like I was mistaken - investigating...

Last edited by ckpeter; Aug 6, 2010 at 9:26 am
Old Aug 6, 2010, 3:06 pm
soy

Programs: various
Great tool. Granted I have not tried some of the more complex stuff, but it is really useful in running long range searches Vs ANA.
One comment, you might want to update the tips page to indicate that AC and CO show availability that is not open to general *A programs. For example I can find 3x C seats from NYC to SCL/EZE in both AC and CO. But this appears to be extra inventory that is not open to other *A programs.
Must say the past searches feature is very useful as is the route building (bearing in mind it is not exhaustive, and the experienced FT'er may be able to find other options).
Old Aug 6, 2010, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by soy
One comment, you might want to update the tips page to indicate that AC and CO show availability that is not open to general *A programs. For example I can find 3x C seats from NYC to SCL/EZE in both AC and CO. But this appears to be extra inventory that is not open to other *A programs.
Very interesting! I have not been aware of this by AC or CO. Do you have some route examples with specific dates?
Old Aug 6, 2010, 4:30 pm
soy

Programs: various
I noticed this a few days ago. I was originally searching for 3xC seats on BOS-SCL for Dec 8 and found options on both AC and CO but not ANA. I then called BD and they only see 2 seats. In all cases the key flight for me was AC 92 from YYZ-SCL, as I wanted C for the long leg and do not care so much about the connections.

Tried again and now I only see options on CO. Can send you a screen shot of my previous search result if that helps.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Are you aware that ANA only supports maximum of 1 connection? Since the only 1-stop itinerary between BOS and SCL is BOS-YYZ-SCL, ANA is only able to show that; all the other 2+ stops options that CO shows are not available on ANA because of this restriction (you can find them if you do segment-by-segment on ANA).

BOS-YYZ-SCL is served wholly and purely by AC. It is possible that AC does have expanded availability for its own members.

Please do send me the screenshot (or just the links would work). Also, have you already ticketed your award, and if so, when? (If you did, that would take 3 C seats out). I will take a look.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 9:11 pm

Location: AA EXP & Life Plat; AA 4MM; TWA Life Plat; HH Diamond
Results Set

Peter,

Very nice tool. My one suggestion for the moment would be the results set on the right column. Maybe there are circumstances I'm not considering - but that said my initial reaction would be to have common flights across platforms listed once with perhaps a grid and check marks for which tools showed the flight
for example, something like:
___________________NH CO AC BA QF CX JL
UA25 Business Class X X X

Also, as someone earlier posted the limit to search two seats is a bit unfortunate (for me)....but I certainly respect the your software; your server, your rules logic.

Best of luck as you continue your development. I'll drop a note again as I play around some more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.