Search

Thoughts about my free iphone app - WhatsApp

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2009, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: M&M
Thoughts about my free iphone app - WhatsApp

hi there,

i hate shameless self promotion, but i couldn't resist posting here because i wrote this app with people like us in mind (those who travel a lot)

ever since i semi-retired a little over a year ago, i been traveling A LOT and i hated it when people tried to reach me when i am on the plane or out of the country. so i asked myself -- wouldn't it be cool if i just set a status for my iPhone, similar to how you can set a status on yahoo messenger or skype.

problem found - problem solved. so i spent a couple of months and developed a little tool called WhatsApp - it can let you set a status like "On the flight to munich, send email instead of calling me" or "In Japan for two weeks, my cell there is +81 829 282718"

our site with screenshots and faq is: http://www.whatsapp.com and direct itunes link is: http://itunes.com/app/whatsapp

i would like to hear your feedback and suggestions on the idea. hit or miss?

(of course app is useless 'til your contacts begin to use it also)

P.S. - i know a lot of you are BlackBerry users, and we are working on a BlackBerry version already (wish there was more hours in the day)

Last edited by jkb76; May 9, 2009 at 8:36 pm
Old May 9, 2009, 5:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It appears that this requires the other party to also have the app installed, right?
Old Jul 15, 2009, 11:24 am
Original Poster

hi there,

just wanted to mention that version for blackberry is available. you can see BB screenshots of the app in action here:

http://www.whatsapp.com/bb.html

and you can download the BB app from http://www.whatsapp.com/bb/
Old Sep 12, 2013, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

so i was looking on this forum for something else (trying to use my M&M miles) and remembered i posted this thread 4 years ago. i am thinking some of you might be using WhatsApp now
SPN Lifer and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 8:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jkb76
so i was looking on this forum for something else (trying to use my M&M miles) and remembered i posted this thread 4 years ago. i am thinking some of you might be using WhatsApp now
I'm actually using it with GoGo to talk to my friend in Tokyo right now. =)

The only thing I wish it did was let me use my ipad if I sync to a central account. When abroad I still want to use WhatsApp, but don't want to carry a phone with a mobile SIM and a phone for WhatsApp.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 1:44 am

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Ha! Who knew this app was created by an FTer. Love the app. Use it instead of texting. If there was a way to use this app via tablets and computers (think a platform independent iMessage equivalent) that would me great! Just a suggestion.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 9:10 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Why would you need to use miles? In sure you a can afford F class these days
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by SQ421
Ha! Who knew this app was created by an FTer. Love the app. Use it instead of texting. If there was a way to use this app via tablets and computers (think a platform independent iMessage equivalent) that would me great! Just a suggestion.
LOL, luv whatsapp!
^^^
Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:22 am

I remember you posted on Luxury4Play as well. Someone bumped your topic. Congrats on your new life
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:08 pm

It's a big hit with my friends in Europe - Congrats.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 2:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
I do use it as well, it seems to be quite popular with non-US mobile users as well given the lack of free, unlimited SMS in other parts of the world.

That said, I would say my biggest feedback item is that the UI is a bit busy. Don't get me wrong, functionally it is great and I like the fact that it uses your mobile number to locate you.

But if you could make the UI much more clean and modern, I think I would tend to use it more often. A simple background (white) with simple chat bubbles and less clutter in the message screen would make it much more visually appealing, IMVHO.

Call me an aesthete, but that's the only thing keeping me from using it more frequently.

But I definitely offer my congratulations on building such a popular and widely adopted app. It's not easy to get that level of adoption! ^^
Old Sep 13, 2013, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I used WhatsApp as part of a group of guys in Vegas for a bachelor party. It was an awesome communications tool to keep track of everyone. My biggest problem was that it drained my battery (Galaxy S3) faster than any app I've ever used. Basically hit 0% after 11-ish hours of use.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 2:51 pm

Isn't this one of the apps that take all your contacts from your device and upload them to a remote server? Since I have many non-contact entries in my address book (e.g. a contact card with DOB's, passport numbers, etc.), I'm reluctant to use such an app since it would indiscriminately take all this personal information and store it on a remote server.

I stick with Skype b/c basically, by logging in with a distinct login/password (as opposed to a MS ID linked to my other MS programs and accounts) and saving only limited information in Skype's address book, I'm limited the amount of data Skype would have and could take and save.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 2:57 pm

I love, love, love this app, I'm in the US and use it almost daily to chat with friends in Asia.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 12:25 am

Love whatsapp but wish I could use it on my WiFi-only devices and on my macbook like Viber.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.