Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

REcommendations for a traveling hard use laptop?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2008, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 3mm Plat

And old theme, I know. But here are my requirements:
  • durable - a must
  • full featured - will use as only computer
  • fast - I make and edit a lot of sound files and more and more video
  • how much memory is not paying for something I won't use (see sound and video editing)
  • learning Photoshop - does this mean more memory?
  • did I say durable?
  • a PC - I have too much invested in software to even begin the mac/pc debate
  • as a sole operator of a small int'l business, I run many different apps - executive suite to the mail room, that's my beat. So lots of stuff in and out, on and off of the machine
  • durable and dependable - I did say that, right?

So I have been using IBM/Lenovo for my past 3 -5 machines. I have watched the quality go down vis à vis the build. No major problems, but my confidence is compromised.

Also, customer service that was once a wonder has become a nightmare - in my experience.

Price? I don't mind paying a premium - within reason - for peace of mind re: quality, reliability and customer service.

Suggestions?
Old Aug 28, 2008, 10:48 am

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
No personal experience but you might look at Tough Book by Panasonic if you want something rugged. http://www.panasonic.com/business/to...k-products.asp

Supposedly good for almost anything.

Cheers
Old Aug 28, 2008, 4:00 pm

I'm on my second Sony Vaio, and they are sturdy little machines. If you mean "durable" as in can handle being on constantly and the wear and tear of day-to-day use, I wouldn't hesitate to get one. If by "durable" you mean it can have a cup of coffee spilled on the keyboard or it can withstand dropping on a concrete floor, I admit I don't know.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by Teacher49

...So I have been using IBM/Lenovo for my past 3 -5 machines. I have watched the quality go down vis à vis the build. No major problems, but my confidence is compromised.

Also, customer service that was once a wonder has become a nightmare - in my experience...

Suggestions?
While the Thinkpad quality doesn't seem quite what it was, I have yet to find a laptop that I trust more. Just as important to me is the fast response I get from their tech support. I was in SFO 3 weeks ago and my keyboard had a sticky key. Called them at 1:00 PM PDT and there was a new keyboard at the door the next day.

A client in Arkansas had a hard drive developing bad sectors, same story: hard drive at the door the next day. In those cases where I have sent a Thinkpad in, the pattern has been the same: call them today, box at the door the next day, pack in box that day and ship, Thinkpad returns fixed 2-3 days later.

In every case, this was a warranty repair and there was absolutely no out of pocket expense.

I haven't had the same good experiences with Sony or Dell, and warranty work from Best Buy is a bad joke, taking up to 6 weeks in some cases. Can't comment on the Panasonic as I've never dealt with one.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA former 1K MM
Originally Posted by Teacher49
So I have been using IBM/Lenovo for my past 3 -5 machines. I have watched the quality go down vis à vis the build. No major problems, but my confidence is compromised
I've also been using Thinkpads for the past 4-5 years, and I just bought an X61, I haven't seen any decrease in quality.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 8:09 pm

Programs: NW Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Emerald Executive
Dell Latitude an option

My last 2 laptops have been Dell Latitude models. They are a "business-class" PC and are made better than their entry-level models. You pay more for this model line, but they seem to hold up better. To order the Latitude, from Dell's website go to the "small business" section instead of the "home/home office" section.

Something else to consider is how the laptop is treated. Unless you buy a Panasonic Toughbook, keep any laptop inside a neoprene or padded leather "sleeve" inside your briefcase or bag, thus preventing any unnecessary bumps & jolts. Laptops are made to be transported, but any model will last longer with a little more care.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 10:09 am

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
At my work our dept is issued Panasoic toughbooks, I spend alot of time on factory floors and consstruction projects. As far as toughness it can't be matched IMO but it weighs a ton, mine tips the scale at over 10 lbs and thats not including any peripherals. As far as speed etc. can't say its any better than the dell's or toshibas we've had in the past.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 1:46 pm

Programs: DLPM MM
Originally Posted by redburgundy
I've also been using Thinkpads for the past 4-5 years, and I just bought an X61, I haven't seen any decrease in quality.
I have used Thinkpads from the 770, through X20, X40 and now X300.

Through colleagues, my kids, my relatives and regular customers, I have observed, used and maintained HP, Acer, Dell, Toshiba and Sony laptops.

I have had one failure with a Thinkpad, a USB port on the X40 towards the end of the third year of use. This is the only time I have called customer service, but I was answered immediately, and the tech asked a couple of intelligent questions and agreed it was a hardware failure. I was sent a box overnight to return it for repair and got it back a week later.

I would not even contemplate switching from Lenovo. The 770 was a lot heavier, but other than that I see the build quality as consistent through all my models and the X300 is very sturdy and has already taken a lot of heavy use and rough treatment on my travels, still looking as good as new.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA CK, UA GS, DL 360, B6 Mosaic
My most pointless post. I missed the "PC" bullet, and caught it after I posted. Sorry for wasted bits.

We have just begun the switch to the new Dell E6400's. Nice machines, well made, metal case. Looks like they will be a great line of laptops -- I'd look there.

I've had terrible luck with Lenovo and had a great deal of trouble with the T series. I won't use them again.

For photo work, I would stay away from the HP's. I think HP uses terrible displays on their notebooks.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Last edited by astanley; Aug 30, 2008 at 1:13 pm Reason: pointless pro-Mac post that didn't answer OP's question
Old Aug 30, 2008, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Lifetime, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by whitearrow
I'm on my second Sony Vaio, and they are sturdy little machines. If you mean "durable" as in can handle being on constantly and the wear and tear of day-to-day use, I wouldn't hesitate to get one. If by "durable" you mean it can have a cup of coffee spilled on the keyboard or it can withstand dropping on a concrete floor, I admit I don't know.
Never could I recommend the Sony laptops. I bought one for my wife (then gf) and after a year you couldn't get updated drivers for it anymore as Sony quit "supporting" that model of the Vaio. Waste of money to have a machine the manufacturer wouldn't support especially for the premium they charge for the Vaio.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 6:26 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
From my personal experience, all relating to the high end ultra-lights...

Sony does not equate to "durable" and is more eye candy.
Toshiba is very good but a bit pricey (R series)
Toughbooks will survive anything and even looks like a tank.
Thinkpads are almost bulletproof
Dell is laughable

For the past couple of years, I've stuck with the IBM/Lenovo X series (as others have already mentioned) as it's the best combo for price/durability. My 2nd choice is Toshiba (which would be my 1st if price was no object).

I have not gotten the Apple MBA and will not get the IBM X300 as I'm afraid I'll snap those in half.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 7:25 pm

Programs: No travel, no cards. :(
I've traveled with three seriously -

1. Toshiba. Heavy, ugly, old when I bought it and did everything I asked of it and more. Never a problem. So why give it up? Because I wanted lighter.

2. Dell. Square, ugly, heavy and the hot-swap drives were flimsy. It had been all over the world already with another person, a heavy user, but it was tired when it got to me.

3. Sony. My current Vaio has only been in use a couple of months. I'm already considering removing it as my main travel machine until I can take the time to reload it from scratch. Best Buy did a number on this. I love the price I paid, it's a pretty thing, it's working every piece of software I wish it to, but the overload in bloatware is astounding.

I'm about to leave it home and bring the EEE with me for basic stuff. And then we'll rely on the husband's Fujitsu Amilo. 19", full keyboard (yes, including 10-key) fabulous graphics.
Runs way too hot for anyone's comfort, we bought a cooling tray to sit it on. The power stick is just as hot and feels as if it's going to burn itself out. We're looking at a secondary battery for it so we can travel with ease, but that's the machine I can currently recommend for anyone using graphics heavily. The Amilo is not all that light, but it's definitely not 10 pounds.
As to durable, again, the Amilo has only been in use a few months (March) so we don't know for certain about how well it truly holds up under heavy travel conditions. So far, it's only traveled by train, but definitely extensively there.

Good luck!
Old Aug 31, 2008, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm on my second Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo and both of them have been incredibly sturdy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.