Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Cordless phone with the "longest range"?

Old Aug 23, 08, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: several

Not travel technology per se, but can anyone recommend a cordless (home, not cell phone) with a very long range? Every cordless phone I've had doesn't seem to have a range of more that 80 ft from the base.

I have an acre of property, and it would be great to have one that I can use a little ways from the house.

Is there a brand / model out there that claims or has a super long range? Is something I should look for - DTEC or some such?

Thx.
Old Aug 23, 08, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i have a set of 5.8 vtec fons. i can use it on the end of the dock, which is about 350-400' from the house.

the 2.4 uniden would not reach.

i have a dect set, but have not tried them.

buy a set from circuit city, sams, or costco and try them. they all accept returns no questions asked, so all you are out is your time.

the phones are sensitive to physical barriers(forest,walls etc)
Old Aug 23, 08, 8:08 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
I have been using a Panasonic 5.8 ghz cordless. I am able to go to the neighbors house near the corner with perfect reception. This is around 300 ft.
Old Aug 23, 08, 8:08 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
While I haven't used them the EnGenius brand says it covers 30,000 acres, but they aren't cheap, their low end model is about $400. Most cordless phones are like 80 milliwatts power, they go up to 600 or 800 mw. They also offer an external antenna kit to get the antenna up a few stories. I was looking for the same reason a while ago, I wanted a phone that worked all over my property. It was too much money for me at the time, I have five handsets.

I found that base station placement makes a huge difference in coverage. Up higher and on the side of the house you want coverage towards and it kicked up the range quite a bit.

In the US the phones are extreamly limited coverage wise. Outside the US they have lots more power, but are illegal to import. You can find them in the usual grey market electronic stores though.

But the EnGenius got good reviews at just about every site reviewing longer range phones.
Old Aug 23, 08, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Originally Posted by jral View Post
Every cordless phone I've had doesn't seem to have a range of more that 80 ft from the base.
80 feet? Do you have lead lined walls?
Old Aug 23, 08, 3:10 pm

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
I have a 3 year old set of Motorola 5.8ghz phones that gives me .25 mile range, line of sight.
Old Aug 24, 08, 12:19 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by slawecki View Post
the phones are sensitive to physical barriers(forest,walls etc)
What slawecki said.

Other than "longest range", you have to factor in the surrounding areas where you need to use your cordless phone. Not sure what "obstructions" you have in your property. Even with a "long-range" cordless phone, you won't be able to enjoy the conversation with one too many physical barriers on your property.

Originally Posted by jral View Post
I have an acre of property, and it would be great to have one that I can use a little ways from the house.

Is there a brand / model out there that claims or has a super long range?
I don't have a specific model in mind. But I like Panasonic. Others like them as well:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=711159
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=670240

You have to do some research and find newer models out there.

Doesn't your cell phone provide more convenience?

Another thread may be an interesting read. It's not about cordless phone per se, but I assume it might help with your research:

Help with wirelessly Transmitting / Receiving a Dedicated Internet Line 1/2 - 1 mile
Old Aug 24, 08, 12:29 am

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
I haxe a panasonic 2.4 ghz ive had for years and can go to the edge of my property (about 450 ft ) from the back door. But for whatever reason the Panasonic 5.8 I have doesnt even reach halfway.
Old Aug 24, 08, 2:41 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I got this response when I asked a similar question earlier:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...89&postcount=2
Old Aug 24, 08, 5:58 pm

EnGenius is "the" long-range phone. They do what they promise.

At a local 8,000 seat arena, I have a set of the Uniden TRUxxxx series phones in my office. As long as I have line-of-sight with the unit, it works everywhere. When I go below the seats (concrete slab), I'd say I can reach about 3/4 of the concourse. For the $30 I paid for them on clearance, they're an absolute bargain. I also use the Uniden TRUxxx series phones at both of my homes. Well-built, good sound quality, good speakerphone. Both homes run off an IP phone system (Cisco & Aastra hardwired IP phones), with analog adapters powering the Uniden systems. Haven't tried any IP phones yet.
Old Aug 24, 08, 9:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
I've had just about every frequency phone that's been (legally) available here in the States. The Engenius performs head and tails above them all. Nothing is even remotely close.

I have a large warehouse (prox 90,000 sq ft) full of products made of steel, and every phone but the Engenious becomes worthless after I walk 20 or 30 feet inside of the warehouse area from the office. The Engenious will take me almost to the other end of the building.

It is more expensive than all the others, but in this case, you get what you pay for.
Old Aug 24, 08, 9:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you have a lot of walls or other "stuff" between you and the base the 900Mhz should work better than the higher frequency ones if memory serves, as the lover frequencies are better at getting through. Plus, they don't overlap with WiFi, not that it really matters.
Old Aug 24, 08, 10:14 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
If you have a lot of walls or other "stuff" between you and the base the 900Mhz should work better than the higher frequency ones if memory serves, as the lover frequencies are better at getting through. Plus, they don't overlap with WiFi, not that it really matters.
That sounds about right. I had one 900Mhz a long time back and it
worked well almost at .25 miles. But It didn't even cross the
room when I took it to my office.. apparently the steel beams and
frames blocked the signals from crossing the wall.

Also depends on what other noise you have around that band.
Wifi, cell-phones, microwaves.. etc don't really work on those
exact frequencies, but they do emit a lot of noise to throw off
the phones.

So if you live in an apartment complex or co-op, chances are anything
you get would have limited range due to the other noises closer to those
frequencies.
Old Aug 27, 08, 3:02 pm

Programs: ConU 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Question

What about a two line wireless phone? I have a very old VTech model but haven't been available to find one.
Thanks
Old Aug 27, 08, 4:56 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Hello direct has quite a few multi line cordless phones (they offer at least one four line one too). Not always the best place price wise, but good for model numbers so you can find them at a better priced place

www.hellodirect.com

click on phones, then the links for 2 line and 4 line cordless is over on the left

Search this Thread
Search Engine: