Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Too picky looking for the perfect mp3 player?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2006, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, NW GE, HH Diamond, PC Plat

Hello FT. I have been shopping for an mp3 music player to be used while travelling. But I haven't been able to find a player available in the U.S. that meets everything on my checklist.

Here is what I would like:

1> mp3, wma, and one lossless audio format.

2> returns to the spot of the song/recording when I turn the player back on.

3> ability to charge the unit in the car and play music at the same time.

4> at least 4GB storage. (flash or HD)

5> reliable.

6> hi quality audio playback.

7> less than $300.

8> easy to ff through recording.

9> video/picture playback optional.

I am waiting for the Zune to be released so I can see the official specs on it. But I don't think the Zune supports lossless, from what I heard.

Is the Creative Zen Vision:M the closest to meeting my wishlist?

Thanks for any and all comments!
Old Nov 8, 2006, 2:50 am

Location: Primary: “Its largest airport was named for a World War II hero; its second largest, for a World War II battle.”, Secondary: 88NV via RNO
Programs: Hilton Diamond*, UA ex-2P, Chase
Originally Posted by Blitztorte
Hello FT. I have been shopping for an mp3 music player to be used while travelling. But I haven't been able to find a player available in the U.S. that meets everything on my checklist.

Here is what I would like:

Is the Creative Zen Vision:M the closest to meeting my wishlist?

Thanks for any and all comments!
I have the earlier Creative Zen model

It's pretty close except

a) I think it returns to the beginning of the last track on a stop.

b) It, like most players is more fragile than we treat them. The screen has lost a couple lines, but still works otherwise.

It also has FM radio built-in, (I-pods make it an add on) and can record voice pretty well.

They can take full wav files, but that'll eat up your space quick. If you want a lot of wav files, or a whole library, get a Hard Drive one (20-60GB). If you expect to jostle it alot, stick with a flash player (1-8GB).

For a neutral opinion, Wired's gift guide gave the Toshiba Gigabeat 30MES30VW the highest rating (9) with Creative Zen and Apple I-Pod offerings all earning 8s.

I'm trying to pick between Toshiba and creative for my next upgrade. Toshiba's compatability with Tivo2Go may be the kicker.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
I had a Creative Zen which worked fine til it died. I then decided to join the iPod juggernaught, and have been happy with iPod. Does all of which you ask.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
I used to have an iPod nano (4GB, 1st Generation), and it pretty much is the perfect MP3 player in that its small, plays most formats (although iTunes converts wma files) and has decent battery life. But definitely wait for Zune to see how competition affects the pricing in the industry.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 8:10 pm

Why not just get yourself a lightly used Windows Mobile Pocket PC phone. It will do all of the above with free software. Put in any size SD card you want and you are done.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 3:49 am

I have a similar problem with the topic starter and i'm waiting for Zune to hit the markets around too. My 1st choice would be iPod, i guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.