Using your blackberry as a Modem for your LapTop( no ISP needed)

Subscribe
Maybe some of you allready know this but I just setup my blackberry to work as a modem for my laptop and It works freakn great! plus is free I dont have to buy any minutes or passes or even pay for a subscription. it took me five minutes to set it up with a blackberry from t-mobile plus it work world wide.

here is the link if you want to do it:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/blac...em-laptop.html
I do this through sprint and when it works, its great!
I've had issues with sprints software....over 2 laptops and 2 evdo phones....i'd say about %65 of the time their software doesn't recognize that the phone is connected. A reboot of the phone and/or device doesnt help.

I currently have a blackberry 7130e with them and its a dream device....and when the evdo modem feature works, its a life saver!
In the cell phone world this is called "tethered".

You're getting IP through GPRS (of GSM). Got that?
You don't need a Blackberry, my T-Mobile RAZR works this way too.
But the speeds are GPRS speeds, about the same as dial-up, not broadband.
The "No ISP Needed" claim is false...T-Mobile is the ISP.
Quote: In the cell phone world this is called "tethered".

You're getting IP through GPRS (of GSM). Got that?
Or EvDO, got that?
Quote: Or EvDO, got that?
Don't forget EDGE.
I have been thinking about doing this for a long time. Has anyone been able to use Verizon as the ISP?
Quote: I have been thinking about doing this for a long time. Has anyone been able to use Verizon as the ISP?
Check out www.howardforums.com - the verizon wireless forum... it changes based on what phone you have... lots of links to tell you how to do it for each phone.

If you have a PDA - the easiest I've found is PDANET http://www.junefabrics.com/pdanet/index.php - you have to buy it but it's a one time fee as opposed to monthly...

Oh and lest you miss this - VERIZON does not consider it legal for you to TETHER your device to your LAPTOP/DESKTOP and use it as a modem UNLESS you are paying them for it - it's an extra $15/mth (or something...)
Quote: Check out www.howardforums.com - the verizon wireless forum... it changes based on what phone you have... lots of links to tell you how to do it for each phone.

If you have a PDA - the easiest I've found is PDANET http://www.junefabrics.com/pdanet/index.php - you have to buy it but it's a one time fee as opposed to monthly...

Oh and lest you miss this - VERIZON does not consider it legal for you to TETHER your device to your LAPTOP/DESKTOP and use it as a modem UNLESS you are paying them for it - it's an extra $15/mth (or something...)
I offered to pay the extra on my Treo 700w and they told me, after checking with a supervisor that I didnt need to if I bought the PDANet product. Im equally sure than another supervisor might disagree, but I went with it. The Treo 700w with EvDO is BLAZING fast even compared to EDGE, which is way faster than GPRS on a Blackberry. If the Blackberry is using GPRS (not EDGE) the Treo 700w is likely more than 30 times faster. Even EDGE is a lot faster on a good EDGE phone like a Nokia 6230 than GPRS if that is what the BB is using.
FYI - its included and allowed and unlimited and evdo with Sprint's service....pretty killer deal
Also check out the forums at http://www.prepaidgsm.net/
They are largely focused on the Italian market, but they have a lot of good international info. In particular look at the Wind international data discussion,
http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/inde...showtopic=1268

Somewhere in there is info on using the mobile phone as a modem.
Ya, I use bluetooth to link the Treo with the lappy and its oh so great. Since I'm rarely home, I use that combo as my home ISP. ^
Quote: You don't need a Blackberry, my T-Mobile RAZR works this way too.
But the speeds are GPRS speeds, about the same as dial-up, not broadband.
The "No ISP Needed" claim is false...T-Mobile is the ISP.

Right, cause ppl usually carry their phones with comcast or at&t service right>>>>??????????? :/ what I meant by no ISP is that you dont require an extra connection besides your phone, when you are on t-mobile to do thetering in some other cell phone companies you must pay an extra fee........ n00b. remember that BB is edge capable too.
And while EDGE on the Blackberry isn't going to be mistaken for broadband any time soon, 100+ kbps is pretty good when it's all you've got or you don't feel like paying for Wi-Fi in your airport/hotel.

I've got T-Mobile and a BB 8700G. It works very well once you've got it all set up and no additional tethering charges unlike some other cell providers.

Tim
Quote: Right, cause ppl usually carry their phones with comcast or at&t service right>>>>??????????? :/ what I meant by no ISP is that you dont require an extra connection besides your phone, when you are on t-mobile to do thetering in some other cell phone companies you must pay an extra fee........ n00b. remember that BB is edge capable too.