FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using your blackberry as a Modem for your LapTop( no ISP needed)
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:29 pm
GadgetFreak
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by nickvora
Check out www.howardforums.com - the verizon wireless forum... it changes based on what phone you have... lots of links to tell you how to do it for each phone.

If you have a PDA - the easiest I've found is PDANET http://www.junefabrics.com/pdanet/index.php - you have to buy it but it's a one time fee as opposed to monthly...

Oh and lest you miss this - VERIZON does not consider it legal for you to TETHER your device to your LAPTOP/DESKTOP and use it as a modem UNLESS you are paying them for it - it's an extra $15/mth (or something...)
I offered to pay the extra on my Treo 700w and they told me, after checking with a supervisor that I didnt need to if I bought the PDANet product. Im equally sure than another supervisor might disagree, but I went with it. The Treo 700w with EvDO is BLAZING fast even compared to EDGE, which is way faster than GPRS on a Blackberry. If the Blackberry is using GPRS (not EDGE) the Treo 700w is likely more than 30 times faster. Even EDGE is a lot faster on a good EDGE phone like a Nokia 6230 than GPRS if that is what the BB is using.