Compatability between MAC and Windows version of Quicken

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2005, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Holiday Inn Platinum, peon on the rest

So, I finally took the leap and bought a Powerbook (loving it so far btw), however now I have a problem. I carry two laptops on business, one for work, one for personal, and now the personal one will be my powerbook. I use Quicken for my personal financial stuff and I see that there is a MAC version. My question is, does anyone have experience with moving quicken data files between the MAC and Windows version? I will use the Mac version when I'm on the road, but my home desktop is still windows, so I will need to be able to use the windows version there.

I know I could just migrate completely to the MAC version and use it at home as well, but I have multiple windows PCs at home, and only one MAC, and if my MAC crashes, I sure don't want to be hosed with regards to being able to use quicken.

anyway, any real life experience with migrating back and forth between the two platforms would be greatly appreciated!!
Old Dec 19, 2005, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by UScolorado1k
So, I finally took the leap and bought a Powerbook (loving it so far btw), however now I have a problem. I carry two laptops on business, one for work, one for personal, and now the personal one will be my powerbook.
anyway, any real life experience with migrating back and forth between the two platforms would be greatly appreciated!!
Welcome to the mac world

I can't answer your question per se, I do know you can migrate from Win to Mac on quicken but whether you can swap back and forth on regular basis is something you should actually pose to quicken directly. Or log onto apple.com, go to support and then discussion board....you probably get more comprehensive response from that discussion board.

Also, i believe you can purchase quicken for 60 days free trial and if not happy, can return it with full refund.

Couple of other thoughts/comments:

1. If you purchase mac.com subscription, you can (and always should) back-up using their backup service to the mac.com server.

2. You should always back up, and since the quicken data file is relatively small, usually no more than a couple of mb, even a flash drive is good enough.

3. If you have free gmail or other web email account, eg yahoo.com, you can always email yourself a backup file to keep on the server.

4. Unless something major happens, chances of your new powerbook crashing is fairly slim. Panther is extremely stable, Tiger is ok and new update coming out soon that will make it as stable as Panther.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.