Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google - sync calendar from one account to another?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club

Is there a way to sync a Google Calendar from one account to a Google Calendar belonging to another account? Or to an Exchange Calendar?

I just need to mirror every calendar invitation over to a different account. Doesn't need to be two-way sync - one direction is sufficient. Calendar sharing doesn't work for this particular use case either.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:44 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Between two Google accounts sharing is rather simple. Just follow the instructions here

Share your calendar with someone

In addition you need to setup a forwarding rule that all invitations are forwarded to the email address associated with the second calendar. You might need to play a bit around with the forwarding rules.

But be aware that if you answer the invitation with another address than you were invited with it might will cause a mess with the invitation. Updates might be processed in a weird way.

Cheers
flying_fkb
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Sharing does not work for this use case. I need the invites to exist in the second calendar, not simply be shared with the second calendar.

I've considered a rule that forwards messages, but unlike Outlook/Exchange, Gmail filters are very basic, and I'm not sure how I'd reliably identify invitations...
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by javabytes
Sharing does not work for this use case. I need the invites to exist in the second calendar, not simply be shared with the second calendar.

I've considered a rule that forwards messages, but unlike Outlook/Exchange, Gmail filters are very basic, and I'm not sure how I'd reliably identify invitations...
I work with a couple organizations that use Google Groups and that sounds almost exactly like what you need. Groups.Google.com

Once you set-up a Google Group, you create a group email address (for instance [email protected]). Add whatever other Google/GMail accounts you want to the Google Group. (Technically you invite others to join the group, but if you own the other GMail account, you are just adding yourself to the group.)

Now, every email sent to the [email protected] email will auto-forward to all members of the group.

As for calendar invites, when you create a new calendar entry or event, under the calendar settings, add the Google Group email to the "guests" list. Everyone on the Google Groups email chain will then receive a proper invitation to the event in which the email will show an RSVP button to accept or decline the invitation. Accepting the invitation then adds the calendar entry automatically and tracks any changes to the event (like a time change, location change, etc).

Does that sound like what you're looking for? And does my description make sense?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Google Calendar also has a "Family" group built-in now.

https://support.google.com/families/...DDesktop&hl=en

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.