Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

MS Surface Book - any users here on FT...?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MS Surface Book - any users here on FT...?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I have a bit of history with the Surface line. I started out with the MS Surface Pro 3 i7 fully loaded; then jumped to the MS Surface Book i7 fully loaded (first year). I had no issues or problems with either units. I travelled quite a bit with them -- honestly, the SP3 was awesome from a size/weight perspective but screen was small.

When the new 2016 MBP came out, I went back to Mac. Size, fit, finish -- and what I use it for with the rest of the Apple eco-sphere; for me it works. I like the Microsoft products but I find them to see be lacking on the OS front, too many issues ongoing requiring troubleshooting, etc. And yes, like others, I found the case for the SB and SP3 to get dinged up easily a lot. Awesome screen on the SB but I prefer my 15" on the MBP. Touch is largely overrated to me. Just my two cents.
Old May 2, 2017, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by chipmaster
Nothing beats a fullfeatured laptop! Then one must decide between two two camps Windows and iOS if you are so lucky.

Personally for work and the fact I'm an old dog still in the windows camp.

If I was picking for performance, weight and fullfeature it would be a surface, they aren't cheap but can't beat them for performance/weight and compatibility in a Windows world. I've never been a fan of touch for productivity work, but consumption tablet/phone is the way to go.

Being Windows and made by MS.. you'd think though you can't avoid the Windows stability and firmware pushes that are sure to come, the MS built got to get some inside help for stability, LOL.
So get a Surface Laptop! https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/surf...aptop/overview
Old May 2, 2017, 1:03 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by joshwex90
LOL, all our phones are iPhones, my kids I converted to MACs and as in school that is the dominate platform. Now sadly when they come back to the corporate world no escaping MS
Old May 2, 2017, 6:23 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Thanks to all for your great input.... greatly appreciated !!! ^ ^

Is there a date set for the new versions of these machines to come out....? If I read correctly, there is some sort of big MS gathering in the next couple of days and new Hardware and Software will be announced, or....?

Thanks !!!
Old May 3, 2017, 12:44 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
That is comically overpriced.
Old May 3, 2017, 2:04 am

Programs: Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles Member, Global Entry,AA Gold
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Thanks to all for your great input.... greatly appreciated !!! ^ ^

Is there a date set for the new versions of these machines to come out....? If I read correctly, there is some sort of big MS gathering in the next couple of days and new Hardware and Software will be announced, or....?

Thanks !!!
Here is some more info about the new Surface book: https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/micr...laptop-preview

Probably latter this year the Surface Pro 4 & Surface Book will be updated too.
Old May 3, 2017, 9:19 am
KCZ

Originally Posted by Error 601
That is comically overpriced.
That price for the i7/16GB/512GB is less than the price for the SP4 because it includes the keyboard. Of course it doesn't appear to have a digitized screen.

As mentioned above, I had 4 SP's fail in less than 6 months and wasted a lot of time dealing with MS support. One day not long ago, I spent nine (9) hours on the phone with MS. I am now retired so I can make time for that, disgustedly, but I can't imagine how anyone who is employed and traveling will have the time to deal with MS's incompetence should any problems occur.
Old May 3, 2017, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
I apologize for the dumb question, but, given the launch of the Surface Laptop.... does this mean that the Surface Book will no longer be updated and will be discontinued in favor of the Surface Laptop - which would 'replace' it in the MS product line?

If this is the case, it would be a dissapointment for me, as one of the features I liked most about the S Book is that I could have a 2 in 1 solution of both a laptop and a tablet......
Old May 6, 2017, 9:04 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
I apologize for the dumb question, but, given the launch of the Surface Laptop.... does this mean that the Surface Book will no longer be updated and will be discontinued in favor of the Surface Laptop - which would 'replace' it in the MS product line?

If this is the case, it would be a dissapointment for me, as one of the features I liked most about the S Book is that I could have a 2 in 1 solution of both a laptop and a tablet......
My *guess* is no because they've been targeting 2 different markets. The Surface Book seems aimed at professionals who want a 2 in 1 while the Surface Laptop is being aimed at students who would otherwise get a MacBook or schools that use Chromebooks. (Note that the Surface Laptop runs Windows 10 S, which only allows windows apps to run, it costs an extra $50 to upgrade to the regular version of Windows).

Though I would probably expect Microsoft to announce a Surface Pro 5 before a new SB.
Old May 6, 2017, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i own macs + surface book for tablet that is computer (apple refuses to do one)

i just bought mac book air because i wanted regular USBs before they 'upgrade'

dont think surface laptop has detachable screen, so do not see a reason to get
Old May 6, 2017, 4:50 pm

I had the Surface Book for 6 months and loved the touchpad & keyboard, but honestly felt it was a bit heavy and didn't love the "gap." I switched to the Spectre X360 and couldn't be happier. Absolutely amazing machine and great battery life.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-spect...?skuId=5713177
Old May 7, 2017, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by ryw
(Note that the Surface Laptop runs Windows 10 S, which only allows windows apps to run, it costs an extra $50 to upgrade to the regular version of Windows).
Free upgrade until December

Originally Posted by mceagle555
I had the Surface Book for 6 months and loved the touchpad & keyboard, but honestly felt it was a bit heavy and didn't love the "gap." I switched to the Spectre X360 and couldn't be happier. Absolutely amazing machine and great battery life.
What "gap?"
Old May 7, 2017, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
What "gap?"
I think mceagle555 is referring to the space between the keyboard and display when it's closed.
Old May 7, 2017, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Funny but I dont mind the "gap".... think it look kinda' cool....
Old May 9, 2017, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Anybody else have feedback on experiences with the Surface line of products...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.