Help please- computer backup......

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help please- computer backup......

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2017, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Question Help please- computer backup......

I'm hoping I can get some assistance finding a user friendly computer files backup. Not a physical device, been there done that.

My 7 year old Dell XPS died. Can't complain, that's the longest I've ever had one. I have subscribed to Carbonite since the day I set that computer up.

So I get my new computer set up and go out to Carbonite and begin the process of retrieving the first folder of pictures, which happened to be an Africa folder. Carbonite shows the file is moving, about 1 1/2 hours later that folder is showing it can be downloaded, so download it, but nothing is there.

The attraction of Carbonite was that if I am on the other side of the world I was supposed to be able to pull up any folder I needed. I've never needed it until now, and can't get it.

I'm looking for recommendations for a straight forward back up for the new computer that is user friendly and works.

If you have read this far I thank you.

Jeannie
Old Feb 10, 2017, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I've had good luck with CrashPlan.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Have you had to use for recovery?

Thank you for responding.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by javabytes
I've had good luck with CrashPlan.
+1 for CP Pro. Saved my bacon just last month.... Complete SSD failure. No work lost. Back up and running in 2 hours.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Jeannietx
Have you had to use for recovery?

Thank you for responding.
Yes. Worked just fine for me.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 4:10 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
First of all, you do not have a backup if you never tried to restore it. On servers, it's a regular exercise to try to restore to an entirely new infra and see how long it takes and whether it's correct.

And yes, for desktop Crashplan works well.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Thank you!

Thanks to all of you for the recommendation for Crash Plan. I will be backing up the new computer with CP.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
At my company, we use Box for Enterprise which has versioning. I have an old laptop that is always running at home and I plugged a Seagate 1 TB drive (I think) into it and have Apple Time Machine back up the laptop onto it. Because the two computers sync as a result of Box, the old laptop is always current within a few minutes (or at the end of an airplane trip). So, there are two backups: 1) onto Box for Enterprise; and 2) onto the Seagate drive. With either, we can dial back to the date in case there is corruption.

For my wife, we use 1) Backblazes; 2) a RAID drive at home; and 3) an Apple Time Capsule (when we go away for an extended period). We've never backed up from BackBlazes but the Time Capsule worked when it was needed.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Another vote for Backblaze here - been using them for a few years. Haven't had to restore yet, thankfully.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by shawbridge
I plugged a Seagate 1 TB drive (I think) into it and have Apple Time Machine back up the laptop onto it. Because the two computers sync as a result of Box, the old laptop is always current within a few minutes (or at the end of an airplane trip). So, there are two backups: 1) onto Box for Enterprise; and 2) onto the Seagate drive. With either, we can dial back to the date in case there is corruption.
Ah yes, I almost forgot: besides CrashPlan, I have a 2x2TB NAS in the closet, that's another backup. Haven't practiced restore from that one recently, hrm
Old Feb 18, 2017, 4:54 pm

A ransomware virus would encrypt all connected drives.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
+1 for multiple backup/restore options, and that you technically do NOT have a true backup unless you have tested restore functionality.

I use Acronis for both the server & all home computers to a 4TB local USB drive. Talking bare-metal restore options (which have all been tested successfully), but those backups also provide granular restore for directories/files as needed.

That 4TB drive is then fully backed up to the cloud.

Off-site redundancy is a critical component of a proper backup scheme (say, house burns down or something), but so is the ability to restore some/all data rapidly, which means a local backup rather than having to rely solely on internet bandwidth.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP is looking for a set-and-forget backup solution for the replacement for a 7 year old XPS. While many in this thread offering expertise are familiar with all sorts of advanced concepts - NAS, RAID, bare metal restore - and for whom a robust strategy of local and offsite backups is pertinent, consider your audience. I too back up locally with 24TB of drives on site, to CrashPlan, and to Amazon S3 with replication across three regions. I would never suggest that for the typical user. Keep it simple. CrashPlan subscription to back up to the cloud in case the house burns down. If you've got lots of data and need to restore all of it quicker than the internet allows if something goes wrong, then plug in an external hard drive and let CrashPlan back up to that too.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by glob99
A ransomware virus would encrypt all connected drives.
glob99, if there were ransomware, would I be able to use another device and the Box backup and restore to a date earlier than the corruption?

Is CrashPlan protect against ransomware? What are its advantages relative to other methods.

Last edited by shawbridge; Feb 25, 2017 at 10:02 am
Old Feb 25, 2017, 8:45 pm

Crashplan keeps multiple version as specified, in case of ransomware, just roll back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.