Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wireless Noise Cancelling: Sennheiser PXC-550 vs. Sony MDR1000X

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by roberino
It did. The Sony headphones app recognised that I was hooked up to them.
Nice! I'll have to give it a shot this weekend.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 8:27 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Amazon currently has the Sony at $328.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I recently decided to replace my old, wired Bose with some new Sennheiser HD4.5 headphones. I've only used them once, and on the Acela not a plane, but I am very pleased with everything about them. They sound great to my ears and were cheaper than the new wireless Bose.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 9:17 pm
KCZ

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I recently decided to replace my old, wired Bose with some new Sennheiser HD4.5 headphones. I've only used them once, and on the Acela not a plane, but I am very pleased with everything about them. They sound great to my ears and were cheaper than the new wireless Bose.
Are they comfortable for you? This seems to be the biggest complaint that I've seen in reviews.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by KCZ
Are they comfortable for you? This seems to be the biggest complaint that I've seen in reviews.
They were but I haven't tried sleeping in them yet.
KCZ likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:33 am
Original Member

Amazon and BestBuy has it on sale for $299.

As indicated earlier, you do need to maintain an active Bluetooth connection to use noise cancelling (NC). If the linked Bluetooth device runs out of power, you lose NC on the headphones even if headphone battery is full.

Last edited by seawolf; Aug 22, 2017 at 10:47 am
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Great review. I've decided to opt for the Sony. Best Buy are now selling it for $249, as I am UK based I will be flying over to San Francisco next month. Will they be able to deliver it to my hotel as they don't do Int'l shipping?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:31 pm
Original Member

You might as well do a store pickup. You don't want it to be delivered to hotel but misplaced in-house.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by seawolf
You might as well do a store pickup. You don't want it to be delivered to hotel but misplaced in-house.
This. Best Buy store pickup is actually pretty quick/convenient, and well worth the extra Uber/cab fare to just get it yourself. ID and credit card will be required for pickup, IIRC.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

impressed with the Sony WI1000X/B in-ear version. It doesn't support proper multipoint but it is AMAZING, the sound quality is very good (way better than Bose), but more importantly the noise canceling is BRILLIANT.

Last edited by richard; Oct 3, 2017 at 8:17 am
Old Oct 5, 2017, 3:45 pm

Was reading reviews about the MDR1000X on Amazon, seems like alot of ppl are complaining that the headband cracks.

Currently using the MDR-10RNC. Time to go wireless but the reviews held me back from buying the MDR1000X. Maybe the new WI1000X will be fixed with a better headband but will want to wait for more reviews rather than having to deal with warranty returns with Sony.,
Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:16 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
Amazon UK were selling the MDR1000X for £288 last week and I decided to get a set to replace my Bose QC20i which over the years I’ve had them become more and more uncomfortable to use for long periods.

Initial impressions of the Sony’s are favourable. Sound quality seems a lot better than the QC20i’s.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 7:56 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by McG
Amazon UK were selling the MDR1000X for £288 last week and I decided to get a set to replace my Bose QC20i which over the years I’ve had them become more and more uncomfortable to use for long periods.

Initial impressions of the Sony’s are favourable. Sound quality seems a lot better than the QC20i’s.
I don't think it is really a comparison as QC20i are earbuds and the MDR1000X are over the ear.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 8:22 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by seawolf
I don't think it is really a comparison as QC20i are earbuds and the MDR1000X are over the ear.
True, it’s not an equal comparison of like for like, more an observation.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:18 am

I went to Best Buy to demo both the Bose QC35 and Sony WH1000XM2. Paired them to my phone and played from Spotify. Sony definitely sounds better, noise cancellation as well seems better at blocking out the noise at the store.

HOWEVER.... even the Sony demo model in the Best Buy store had the beginnings of the notorious crack at the headband like the previous MDR1000X. Sony claims that they changed the material and shouldnt crack anymore but there's a youtube video out there about the WH1000XM2 having a suspicious "scratch" at the fault location. The demo unit i saw had the same "scratch" as well.

$350 for a pair is abit too much for me to risk having to deal with a warranty claim....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.