Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

I Used My RFID Implant In My Hand As A Room Key, Hotel Staff Proceeded To Freak Out.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I Used My RFID Implant In My Hand As A Room Key, Hotel Staff Proceeded To Freak Out.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I thought it was funny that they asked you about copying a master key.
I've lost count how often I've walked pass a housekeeping cart and see a keycard just sitting on the cart. (Usually attached to some sort of lanyard or keychain so I assume the card is not an old one someone just left in the room)
Old Oct 20, 2016, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrGoods
Y
I like where SPG is going with the low power bluetooth system they're using so you can use an iPhone/non-NFC phone as a room key... that's leaps and bounds more secure. I know they still offer NFC/RFID keycards, and I haven't had a chance to check one out, but I suspect they're using a more robust system... I'll know in due time, I have an Aloft stay coming up in the not so distant future.
I know Hilton has a similar system in some hotels, and I think Marriott does or is in the process of rolling it out.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 12:53 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Horses, chips and passports

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Underskin inplants are becoming more common in animals, partically horses.
Animals are tagged to recored performance:- weight gain, breeding and the like
We have to have all horses chipped and their details logged in a "horse passport". We have an RFID reader that confirms their number.
European regulations ...
http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-08-905_en.htm

Dogs also in parts of the UK.

Not sure I like the idea of me being tagged though!

Last edited by gfunkdave; Oct 20, 2016 at 1:15 pm Reason: fixed the quote
Old Oct 21, 2016, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I personally believe that security by obfuscation is ........, it's on the issuer to ensure security, if removing the IC from inside the card is some sort of security issue... then fix it. Though, I don't see how it could. I imagine none of the information on the card itself holds the account value/anything relating to the account that could permit fraud, it's simply a token that registers with the reader, and the account balance/account info is stored on a central system... doing it any other way is downright stupid, that's would be the same as your credit card company maintaining your account balance on the physical credit card.

I understand that they're free to enforce people using the actual keycard, and I certainly wouldn't push any buttons by trying to circumvent it. I purposefully avoid tinkering with payment related systems, it can go from experimenting to something seriously illegal very quickly.

I like the video, very fitting
I don't think it's obfuscation that's the aim of that rather the visible markings. It's to do with (as I understand it) the card ID number which is physically printed on the card matching the number shown on the reader. If they can't see the number on the card they can't match it as it needs to be visible and to match the number on the photo card if you have to have one. As a staff nominee (at the time) for someone at London Underground I had one of the first oyster cards. I sat one day at a previous employers with the head of building management trying to see if we could get it to work with the security system there. Sadly it didn't and I couldn't use it as a door pass.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 11:45 am

I personally believe that security by obfuscation is ........, it's on the issuer to ensure security, if removing the IC from inside the card is some sort of security issue... then fix it.
I'm not entirely sure why they'd care -- most modern toll/transport card systems use a central database for account management. It's not like back in the old days where the value was stored in the card/transponder. Florida's SunPass toll system had the latter up until a few years back. The balance was stored on the user's transponder, NOT the toll system. In 1999 when they first deployed the system, this setup made sense as communications technologies weren't up to where they are today. While SunPass never talked about fraud, I'm sure there were guys down in Miami who were loading transponders with home-brew gear in their garages.

Yes, someone could theoretically duplicate the serial # of the RFID token just like skimmers are used with mag-stripe credit cards. The only way to get around that is two-factor authentication which has its own flaws.

Originally Posted by eng3
I thought it was funny that they asked you about copying a master key.
I've lost count how often I've walked pass a housekeeping cart and see a keycard just sitting on the cart.
I did some contract work for a Starwood property (which shall remain nameless) where the "master" key which unlocked all of the non-guest areas was simply a blank/unassigned RFID prox card. Electrical/HVAC rooms, engineering, the back offices, and yes, the server room. All of the PCI compliance in the world does no good if someone can physically access the POS system. ::facepalm::
Old Oct 21, 2016, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Awesome story, but I think I'd have just told them I'm a magician and am doing a sleight of hand trick (can't show them the card as it would ruin the trick). Simple minds need simple explanations.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - Diamond, IHG - Spire, Choice - Plat, Avis - Presidents Club
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
Awesome story, but I think I'd have just told them I'm a magician and am doing a sleight of hand trick (can't show them the card as it would ruin the trick). Simple minds need simple explanations.
Yeah... but I briefly explained it to the fellow smoker outside... I'm usually the type of person that cuts myself off and dumbs down whatever I'm about to say (sometimes I just say "it's ....ing magic"), but I felt it necessary to explain myself in this case because they knew just enough to be concerned and send police/kick me out of my room.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 2:21 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Good god, have you read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daemon_(novel_series)? Don't make that book come alive.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 5:23 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Very interesting to encounter someone doing this kind of thing. I figured it was a matter of time for someone to try this kind of implant thing.

At some point, the RFIDs may need replacement. Can't say I'd be a fan of having a series of foreign bodies implanted into my body and replaced just for the purpose of convenience.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 7:42 am

Programs: VS, BA, C, C++, IoT
The thing that shocks me, as someone who's also worked on RFID systems, is that the hotel systems are passive. For anything resembling security, I'd have expected a challenge/response system. A basic pre-programmed static UID setup that makes cloning so easy that anyone with a cheap NFC-enabled Android phone could capture everything needed to duplicate a master key strikes me as bordering on culpable negligence. OK, a static system makes the cards cheaper, but that's easily addressed: the hotel only needs to charge a $10 deposit for active keys, refundable on key return, to more than cover the extra cost of lost keys, and motivate key return.

Last edited by jonsg; Oct 22, 2016 at 1:51 pm
Old Oct 22, 2016, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jonsg
The thing that shocks me, as someone who's also worked on RFID systems, is that the hotel systems are passive. For anything resembling security, I'd have expected a challenge/response system. A basic pre-programmed static UID setup that makes cloning so easy that anyone with a cheap NFC-enabled Android phone could capture everything needed to duplicate a master key strikes me as bordering on culpable negligence. OK, a static system makes the cards cheaper, but that's easily addressed: the hotel only needs to charge a $10 deposit, refundable on key return, to more than cover the extra cost of the lost keys, and motivate key return.
A passive system means you don't need a power source in the card.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: VS, BA, C, C++, IoT
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
A passive system means you don't need a power source in the card.
You don't need a power source with either type. The reader provides power through a coil/antenna; the card receives the power by induction through its antenna loop. This powers the card's on-board processor, which only needs a minuscule amount. So long as the card is close enough to the reader's coil/antenna, it remains powered.

The processor on the card can be as dumb as something that simply reads and writes a bit of EEPROM (memory) - what I refer to as the "passive" type because it does no processing on the data - or something that has a bit of internal programmability and can do something more sophisticated with the data it receives. This is the "active" type I mentioned, which is capable of doing a bit of processing on the fly. That processing would be more than sufficient for a challenge/response exchange.

In case anyone doesn't know what I mean by challenge/response, a simple example is a method by which spies would authenticate with each other. Each would be given the same number. When they meet, A would say "Six" to B; B would say "Nine" to A. The number they both know is 15, 15 - 6 = 9, so B has authenticated with A. A could equally have said "Three", and B's answer had better have been "Twelve", or else!

In our terms, for an entry system, the operation would be more complex than simple subtraction from a larger number, but it doesn't need to be that complex: it just needs to be based on a secret (a magic number) that's stored in both lock and key-card, and changed for each successive occupant.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 2:34 pm

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Hope I didn't post this in the wrong spot, apologies if I did, I wasn't sure exactly where to post this.

So, I have two RFID chips implanted into my hands (one in each hand), they were purchased from a well known manufacturer who follows all medical safety protocols (sterilizing, packaging, etc...). Both implants were done by my doctor, who also frequently checks for complications/issues (I've had none). I've had one in my left hand for two year, the other for 6 months.

Why two? Well, the first one is a more versatile type of RFID that I use to control various things around my house (unlock my door, open my garage, activate "scenes" with lights/shades/TV, to just name a few).

The second, more recent implant was done with the only objective being to use it with the very common MiFare Ultralight RFID systems. I'm actually the first person (that I know of... the community for this type of thing is quite small) with an implant of this type, and I've used it at ~10 hotels so far. Without getting too technical, I'll briefly explain how I'm able to clone my hotel room key. Most hotels use the MiFare Ultralight system because of it's low cost and ease of programming. In most cases cloning/copying the key cards is not possible, as the UID hard coded/locked into the key card has to match. Recently keycards with re-writable UIDs have become available from China, and the IC from those cards are what I have in my hand, I'm the human "beta tester" as I travel frequently to hotels with RFID keycard systems.

It's worked quite well, when I'm issued a key at the hotel I get into my room, and using a read/writer and some fairly "technical" programs (it can be done with an app on Android devices with NFC, or so I'm told) I copy the key to my hand. It really doesn't take much longer than it takes me to log on to the hotel WiFi, and it's pretty nice to not have to worry about losing a key. Plus you feel like some lazy wizard who only uses his power for mundane things like unlocking doors.

Today I was finally spotted using my hand-key, honestly I never really thought about hiding it. I was entering from a side entrance and an employee was smoking as I approached and was apparently watching closer than I thought because as soon as I swiped my hand they stopped me "Hey, how did you do that?!?" I knew this was going to be tough. I explained the implant in my hand, and that I can copy room keys onto it, in more basic terms than I'm using here. They seemed to think it was pretty odd, but neat, I continued about my business.

An hour later I hear a knock at my door... crap. I opened it and there was a two employees (one identified as a manager, the other... I have no idea) asking to speak with me. They came in, and asked about me being able to hack their doors with my hand... or something to that effect. I explained everything above, showing them the USB reader/writer I use and everything... I'm doing nothing wrong, I have nothing to hide.

It took a good bit of explanation and reasoning to convince them that I hadn't done something nefarious. They asked things like, Could I use it as a "master key"? Technically... yes, but I'd need to be VERY (10cm or so) to a master key to copy it, and that would be illegal. Also, just because I can doesn't mean I am... I can pick locks, doesn't mean I go around doing B&Es. After they understood it better they seemed to calm down and no longer think that I somehow had access to every door in the hotel... They still clearly think I'm absolutely insane, as I'm sure many of you will.

Lesson learned, I'll make sure to be less obvious about my use going forward... the world's just not ready for my "magic".

Disclaimer: I'm aware that RFID implants can be controversial, this isn't meant to be an endorsement/encouragement for anyone reading this to replicate what I'm doing. I do so under supervision from my doctor, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

nominated for one of the most bizarre FT threads...
Old Oct 22, 2016, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
"I Used My RFID Implant In My Hand As A Room Key, Hotel Staff Proceeded To Freak Out."

...and you're confused about the outcome because...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.