Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

I Used My RFID Implant In My Hand As A Room Key, Hotel Staff Proceeded To Freak Out.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I Used My RFID Implant In My Hand As A Room Key, Hotel Staff Proceeded To Freak Out.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2016, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - Diamond, IHG - Spire, Choice - Plat, Avis - Presidents Club

Hope I didn't post this in the wrong spot, apologies if I did, I wasn't sure exactly where to post this.

So, I have two RFID chips implanted into my hands (one in each hand), they were purchased from a well known manufacturer who follows all medical safety protocols (sterilizing, packaging, etc...). Both implants were done by my doctor, who also frequently checks for complications/issues (I've had none). I've had one in my left hand for two year, the other for 6 months.

Why two? Well, the first one is a more versatile type of RFID that I use to control various things around my house (unlock my door, open my garage, activate "scenes" with lights/shades/TV, to just name a few).

The second, more recent implant was done with the only objective being to use it with the very common MiFare Ultralight RFID systems. I'm actually the first person (that I know of... the community for this type of thing is quite small) with an implant of this type, and I've used it at ~10 hotels so far. Without getting too technical, I'll briefly explain how I'm able to clone my hotel room key. Most hotels use the MiFare Ultralight system because of it's low cost and ease of programming. In most cases cloning/copying the key cards is not possible, as the UID hard coded/locked into the key card has to match. Recently keycards with re-writable UIDs have become available from China, and the IC from those cards are what I have in my hand, I'm the human "beta tester" as I travel frequently to hotels with RFID keycard systems.

It's worked quite well, when I'm issued a key at the hotel I get into my room, and using a read/writer and some fairly "technical" programs (it can be done with an app on Android devices with NFC, or so I'm told) I copy the key to my hand. It really doesn't take much longer than it takes me to log on to the hotel WiFi, and it's pretty nice to not have to worry about losing a key. Plus you feel like some lazy wizard who only uses his power for mundane things like unlocking doors.

Today I was finally spotted using my hand-key, honestly I never really thought about hiding it. I was entering from a side entrance and an employee was smoking as I approached and was apparently watching closer than I thought because as soon as I swiped my hand they stopped me "Hey, how did you do that?!?" I knew this was going to be tough. I explained the implant in my hand, and that I can copy room keys onto it, in more basic terms than I'm using here. They seemed to think it was pretty odd, but neat, I continued about my business.

An hour later I hear a knock at my door... crap. I opened it and there was a two employees (one identified as a manager, the other... I have no idea) asking to speak with me. They came in, and asked about me being able to hack their doors with my hand... or something to that effect. I explained everything above, showing them the USB reader/writer I use and everything... I'm doing nothing wrong, I have nothing to hide.

It took a good bit of explanation and reasoning to convince them that I hadn't done something nefarious. They asked things like, Could I use it as a "master key"? Technically... yes, but I'd need to be VERY (10cm or so) to a master key to copy it, and that would be illegal. Also, just because I can doesn't mean I am... I can pick locks, doesn't mean I go around doing B&Es. After they understood it better they seemed to calm down and no longer think that I somehow had access to every door in the hotel... They still clearly think I'm absolutely insane, as I'm sure many of you will.

Lesson learned, I'll make sure to be less obvious about my use going forward... the world's just not ready for my "magic".

Disclaimer: I'm aware that RFID implants can be controversial, this isn't meant to be an endorsement/encouragement for anyone reading this to replicate what I'm doing. I do so under supervision from my doctor, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 6:31 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Wow. Bizarre.

Didn't know any of that was possible.

Do you have any links so I read more about this technology?

Also, I'd assume you could use the same idea with some sort of key fob instead of having it implanted? (Wouldn't be as wizardly, of course)

(Don't want to actually do it, but sounds interesting. More curious than anything, as I'm sure others here are as well)
Old Oct 19, 2016, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
This is amazing, I wouldn't be telling the truth if I said I wasn't interested in the technology!
Old Oct 19, 2016, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
This is a truly amazing, if not bizarre thread.

So do you apple pay with your palm? Just wave your hand over the card reader?

What other applications can you swipe your mitts?
Old Oct 19, 2016, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Did April come early this year?
Old Oct 19, 2016, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by ajGoes
Meh.

Guess I get the naive medal for the day.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TommyD2
Wow. Bizarre.

Didn't know any of that was possible.

Do you have any links so I read more about this technology?

Also, I'd assume you could use the same idea with some sort of key fob instead of having it implanted? (Wouldn't be as wizardly, of course)

(Don't want to actually do it, but sounds interesting. More curious than anything, as I'm sure others here are as well)
As far as learning more about RFID, that's fairly straightforward, there's several forums (RFID Toys is a good one), as fo installing an Ultralight RFID IC (integrated circuit, the stuff that's inside the hotel room key), you'd have to buy an Ultralight card with changeable UID, let it sit in a glass jar with acetone for a few hours to dissolve the two bonded layers on the card, and extract the board and antenna (it's a tiny board and a large coated wire that coils around the card, I'll see if I can find a picture).

As far as implants go, Dangerous Things is the most well know (they do great work and provide comprehensive guides/support), there's a few others, including the company I'm "testing" my Ultralight implant with... but this is one of those things where if you're truly interested, do the research and take the time to become supremely familiar with what you're getting yourself in to.

EDIT: Here's a video clip that show the removal process for the RFID IC and antenna:

Originally Posted by enviroian
This is a truly amazing, if not bizarre thread.

So do you apple pay with your palm? Just wave your hand over the card reader?

What other applications can you swipe your mitts?
Apple Pay is an active NFC system, my hands are passive, meaning they require no power.

I'm using them all over my "smart home" to control pretty much everything, when I arrive home it disarms my security system, opens my garage door, turns on the lights, depending on the time of day it will turn on other lights, and set AC to my desired temperature (unless I remembered to hit the "on my way home" button on my phone, then it's already set). There's lots of cool things you can do. You're biggest limiting factor is system compatibility, which is no issue if you're outfitting your home...

Originally Posted by Madone59
This is amazing, I wouldn't be telling the truth if I said I wasn't interested in the technology!
Right?!?! The future is here!

Originally Posted by ajGoes
I said "implant in my hand" not "implant in my eyeball"... I would've gone with eyeball if it was April Fools, this is actually believable... I mean we already stick an RFID chip in our dogs to track them, how is this so much different?

Last edited by MrGoods; Oct 19, 2016 at 7:19 pm
Old Oct 19, 2016, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
On the odd chance this is true - how would the hotel staff know you used your hand, how close were you to the smoking employee and how did the person match you to your room? - a big NO from me. Would any doctor actually do this for anything other than an actual medical condition?
Old Oct 19, 2016, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by milepig
On the odd chance this is true - how would the hotel staff know you used your hand, how close were you to the smoking employee and how did the person match you to your room? - a big NO from me. Would any doctor actually do this for anything other than an actual medical condition?
I was quite close to them, as I was also smoking... this is a smaller all-suites hotel that's got a grand total of 10 or so guests tonight and they were the ones that checked me in orignally. I'm also displaced from my home (water damage) so I've been staying at this location for quite some time.

Yes, doctors will do this, mine is also quite good friends with my grandfather, a well known retired pediatrician and teacher for some time. It certainly took some convincing and he took the time to investigate it himself, but had no issues with it after he got comfortable/familiar with it.

Many people who do this get it implanted at a tattoo and piercing place, they're typically more up to such procedures, but as stated above I'm quite close with my family doc and I'm certain that played a big part in him being willing to do it for me.

Edit:
A picture's worth a thousand words, and scars always have a story... so here's a picture of the scar from my most recent implant. You can also see the implant under my skin but it's near impossible to show in a picture (I tried...)

Last edited by MrGoods; Oct 19, 2016 at 7:56 pm
Old Oct 19, 2016, 9:15 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA, UA, B6, WN
I've read about these subcutaneous RFID implants before, it is really a thing: http://www.popsci.com/my-boring-cyborg-implant Very conceivable to copy his key info to his chip.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MelP
I've read about these subcutaneous RFID implants before, it is really a thing: http://www.popsci.com/my-boring-cyborg-implant Very conceivable to copy his key info to his chip.
Worth noting again that if you want it to work at most hotels (so far I'm batting 100%) it MUST be a MiFare Ultralight RFID IC with changeable UID. As it stands right now this is not available from any of the implantable sellers, you can get one that doesn't have a changeable UID... but you'd have to convince whoever is checking you in to scan your hand as if it were a new room-key... good luck with that .
Old Oct 19, 2016, 9:55 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the Travel Technology Forum
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:07 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
I used to own stock in an rfid chip company that was testing applications on humans. That's was like 20 years ago. Perhaps I shouldn't have sold it for pennies
Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'd like to nominate this for Travel Technology forum thread of the year.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
I used to own stock in an rfid chip company that was testing applications on humans. That's was like 20 years ago. Perhaps I shouldn't have sold it for pennies
Nah, we're decades away from this getting FDA approval/necessary testing to go mainstream, if it ever will... there's some people that are outright against doing such a thing... they believe (mistakenly) that it can cause cancer, or lead to some other long term damage. If you have any idea how these tags work that's a laughable notion. There's also the "duh gobernent is tracking you" subset who think this is just another way to give up privacy, this is, of course, totally false (and not the most efficient way to do it...). Your biggest risk is improper installation or an infection from improper handling. This is why I convinced my doctor to do it. I would've used a tattoo/piercing shop with a good reputation had he been unwilling (I still would've told my doctor I was going ahead with it... he needs to be aware of it...)

More to the point, the "biggest" company in this hobby is Dangerous Things, and that's one dude working out of his garage, barely scraping by. There's no money to be had in this market anytime soon.

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I'd like to nominate this for Travel Technology forum thread of the year.
Thanks? The years not over yet, maybe somebody will beat "hotel key implant" .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.