Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Get SMS forwarded international (Italy to elsewhere)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2016, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.

I have an Italian sim card and number, (vodafone) but I only put it in the phone when I'm in Italy. If people send me SMS text messages when I'm not there, they sit in the vodafone system for about 30 days and then disappear, so I never receive them.

This becomes a problem because I use some secure websites that have three factor login- username, password, then they send me an SMS with a code that I have to enter within a few minutes. They will only send it to an Italian number, so I need a way to get that forwarded to e-mail, a web interface, or a U.S. number so I can get it right away. Vodafone won't do it, my phone would have to be left in Italy and plugged in for that to happen. I can't find any virtual phone number systems that will give me an Italian number and will receive/forward SMS (google voice will do that with US numbers, but they won't issue Italian numbers).

Any ideas? (I can plug the Italian sim into a phone in the US and receive the SMS, but then I get hit with a big international roaming charge each time).
Old Sep 12, 2016, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I have the identical issue with a US SIM card which remains unused much of the year. The calls can be forwarded, but I can think of no way I can get texts. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I have the identical issue with a US SIM card which remains unused much of the year. The calls can be forwarded, but I can think of no way I can get texts. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Google voice is your answer for usa numbers... give out your gvoice usa phone number to other people

When you are in usa, set Google voice* to send all calls/texts to your prepaid number. When you leave, change the forwarding number. You get texts in your email/web-client/hangouts, so no issues with that

*Check the costs first. Gvoice isn't a true cellular provider, so they don't have to follow all the cellular rules(some area codes are blocked)

https://plus.google.com/+SusanWu/posts/h442vMzcTHD

(alternatively, for USA numbers)
if your prepaid provider allows WiFi calling and doesn't charge extra (Tmobile typically doesn't block/charge extra even for prepaid, verizon might allow it for prepaid starting october), and you have a compatible wiif-calling phone

when you go overseas, place phone in airplane mode and connect on wifi for wifi calling. you should get calls/texts on wifi (some bugs occasionally)

Last edited by paperwastage; Sep 12, 2016 at 6:52 am
Old Sep 12, 2016, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Any ideas? (I can plug the Italian sim into a phone in the US and receive the SMS, but then I get hit with a big international roaming charge each time).
vodafone italy doesn't have wifi calling/phones?

(i know that vodafone UK has it... not sure about costs though)
https://www.vodafone.co.uk/terms-and...ling/index.htm
Old Sep 12, 2016, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paperwastage
vodafone italy doesn't have wifi calling/phones?

(i know that vodafone UK has it... not sure about costs though)
https://www.vodafone.co.uk/terms-and...ling/index.htm
I'll look into it. The link you give states "This is only available to our Pay monthly customers and business customers on Red Bundles, Red Value Bundles and Red+, and business customers on Business Premier." I'm currently on a prepaid sim rather than a monthly billing, but I could change it over if that method will work for me. Then I could just pop it in an old wifi enabled phone and leave it that way when I need it in the states.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 7:52 am

I'll look into it. The link you give states "This is only available to our Pay monthly customers and business customers on Red Bundles, Red Value Bundles and Red+, and business customers on Business Premier." I'm currently on a prepaid sim rather than a monthly billing, but I could change it over if that method will work for me. Then I could just pop it in an old wifi enabled phone and leave it that way when I need it in the states.
link is for vodafone.co.uk

not sure vodafone.it follows the same policy as a subsidiary or separate company or ?
Old Sep 12, 2016, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by paperwastage
Google voice is your answer for usa numbers... give out your gvoice usa phone number to other people

When you are in usa, set Google voice* to send all calls/texts to your prepaid number. When you leave, change the forwarding number. You get texts in your email/web-client/hangouts, so no issues with that

*Check the costs first. Gvoice isn't a true cellular provider, so they don't have to follow all the cellular rules(some area codes are blocked)

https://plus.google.com/+SusanWu/posts/h442vMzcTHD

Thanks. It looks promising but the site suggests I have to either get a new number (which I really don't want to do), or give up my cellphone contract which I'd rather not do. But I shall investigate further.

(alternatively, for USA numbers)
if your prepaid provider allows WiFi calling and doesn't charge extra (Tmobile typically doesn't block/charge extra even for prepaid, verizon might allow it for prepaid starting october), and you have a compatible wiif-calling phone

when you go overseas, place phone in airplane mode and connect on wifi for wifi calling. you should get calls/texts on wifi (some bugs occasionally)
Old Sep 12, 2016, 8:08 am

Thanks. It looks promising but the site suggests I have to either get a new number (which I really don't want to do), or give up my cellphone contract which I'd rather not do. But I shall investigate further.
cellphone contract for a mostly-unused phone number?

the wifi calling option would be the easiest if provider allows it (might need new phone, but that can be done cheaply/simple/one-time cost)
Old Sep 12, 2016, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Get a new number from google voice, that's cheap, and issue that to those who have to contact you this way. You can also do some linkage with your other US number. I set my AT&T number to auto forward to the google voice number any time I don't answer after a set number of rings, so whenever anyone calls or texts while I'm out of the country I get a message via e-mail. That's what I want to do in reverse, with the Italian number sending me messages in the states...
Old Sep 12, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I use the simple method - keep the foreign SIM in my dual SIM cheap travel phone and let the texts arrive naturally.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mandolino
I use the simple method - keep the foreign SIM in my dual SIM cheap travel phone and let the texts arrive naturally.
What about the roaming charges? Or do you have a plan where you don't get hit with those?
Old Sep 12, 2016, 7:39 pm

I can't speak to Italy, but the general rule is that there is no additional fee to receive an SMS abroad. Sending is a different story.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I can't speak to Italy, but the general rule is that there is no additional fee to receive an SMS abroad. Sending is a different story.
I'll check that out. I just assumed as soon as I power up and start having phone traffic I was getting hit with a daily fee. If you're right then my problem is solved.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 6:07 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
What about the roaming charges? Or do you have a plan where you don't get hit with those?
Roaming charges for texts?
You're making me feel like a millionaire. They're insignificant.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mandolino
Roaming charges for texts?
You're making me feel like a millionaire. They're insignificant.
I was assuming I'd get hit with a €2 euro or so roaming charge for every day that the phone is active, which means I'd be paying that to receive one text, but it appears that is not the case- I'm hearing that there are no roaming charges for receiving texts on an Italian sim when I'm in the U.S.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.