FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Get SMS forwarded international (Italy to elsewhere)
Old Sep 12, 2016, 6:22 am
paperwastage

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I have the identical issue with a US SIM card which remains unused much of the year. The calls can be forwarded, but I can think of no way I can get texts. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Google voice is your answer for usa numbers... give out your gvoice usa phone number to other people

When you are in usa, set Google voice* to send all calls/texts to your prepaid number. When you leave, change the forwarding number. You get texts in your email/web-client/hangouts, so no issues with that

*Check the costs first. Gvoice isn't a true cellular provider, so they don't have to follow all the cellular rules(some area codes are blocked)

https://plus.google.com/+SusanWu/posts/h442vMzcTHD

(alternatively, for USA numbers)
if your prepaid provider allows WiFi calling and doesn't charge extra (Tmobile typically doesn't block/charge extra even for prepaid, verizon might allow it for prepaid starting october), and you have a compatible wiif-calling phone

when you go overseas, place phone in airplane mode and connect on wifi for wifi calling. you should get calls/texts on wifi (some bugs occasionally)

Last edited by paperwastage; Sep 12, 2016 at 6:52 am