Official 2016 "Which Smartphone Should I Get?"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official 2016 "Which Smartphone Should I Get?"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2016, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Too big for my kids' hands.
Ah, pity. It's a very nice phone. A lot depends on how they like to use it -- my 3 1/2 year old seems to do fine with my similar-sized Galaxy Note 3 but she basically uses it as a tablet, not as a phone.

* - Currently paying $70 base for two lines, $5 each additional line. Three lines with 3GB data ($10 each) and one line with 6GB data ($15). Lines without a paid data plan actually get unlimited talk/text and unlimited throttled (128kbps) data. Maximum of five lines. New plan (only available in Colorado and Arizona) will give me all five lines each with 6GB data for the same price; plus I can add/remove lines as needed for $10/mo with 6GB data.
That sounds pretty good, although I'm not sure if that ends up being better than the one I'm on ($40/month x 3, 4th line free, 10gb/mon.) The down side is a 5th line when we eventually need it -- mother in law is also on our plan -- will be another $40 and at least when I last checked we'd be giving up the 10gb promotion to get one where we could have two larger data plans and 2-3 smaller ones.

Then again, the kids are still young that even the 4th line right now is sort of a convenience that we picked up because it was cheaper to go over to this 4-line plan than to add a 3rd line and data plan to our old plan for MIL.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 7:42 am

Too big for my kids' hands.

I ended up with two M9's. The accidental damage warranty sealed the deal. I'm upgrading my T-Mobile account to a really sweet regional-only grandfathered plan*. That would have given me the ability to take advantage of the Samsung Galaxy S7 BOGO. But, like I said before, I'm not sure I trust my kids with a $700 phone. $300 + accidental damage warranty sounds much better.

* - Currently paying $70 base for two lines, $5 each additional line. Three lines with 3GB data ($10 each) and one line with 6GB data ($15). Lines without a paid data plan actually get unlimited talk/text and unlimited throttled (128kbps) data. Maximum of five lines. New plan (only available in Colorado and Arizona) will give me all five lines each with 6GB data for the same price; plus I can add/remove lines as needed for $10/mo with 6GB data.

How is 128 kbps even usable for basic tasks?

This is the only thing I like about networks in Pakistan and hate the ones abroad.
Postpaid plans aren't common here, only for corporate users.

Everyone here has prepaid lines since they're dirt cheap.
I get 0.004 USD/text, 0.009 USD/minute and 1 USD/GB.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by murtaza12

This is the only thing I like about networks in Pakistan and hate the ones abroad.
Postpaid plans aren't common here, only for corporate users.

Everyone here has prepaid lines since they're dirt cheap.
I get 0.004 USD/text, 0.009 USD/minute and 1 USD/GB.
Works fine for text based sites, and email. iMessage also works just fine.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Don't ask me. She spends the whole car ride on Pintrest and Snapchat. She still blows through close to 500MB of mobile data per month.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
T-mobile's "thottled to 128k" is really "may be throttled as low as 128k, depending on network congestion, phase of the moon, etc."

Having used both the free service abroad, and run through my full data plan a few times, it's definitely not really 128k most of the time. It's definitely throttled compared to the full HSPA+/LTE speeds, but it is never as slow as the EDGE speeds I get where the signal is just plain bad.

--

On another note, I think the Zenphone 3 Ultra may be my next phone, at least if it comes with T-mobile compatible bands. 6.8"?

Last edited by nkedel; Jun 5, 2016 at 10:33 pm
Old Jun 7, 2016, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by WIRunner
Works fine for text based sites, and email. iMessage also works just fine.
Ah I see.

Don't ask me. She spends the whole car ride on Pintrest and Snapchat. She still blows through close to 500MB of mobile data per month.
Snapchat on 128 kbps would be really hard to use, however as clarified by nkedel, it probably isn't 128 kbps.
500MB data per month?!
I just checked my data counter for May and I used 8.7 GB, since 1st June I have used 2.7 GB. Wow!
And I don't even use Snapchat!

Originally Posted by nkedel
T-mobile's "thottled to 128k" is really "may be throttled as low as 128k, depending on network congestion, phase of the moon, etc."

Having used both the free service abroad, and run through my full data plan a few times, it's definitely not really 128k most of the time. It's definitely throttled compared to the full HSPA+/LTE speeds, but it is never as slow as the EDGE speeds I get where the signal is just plain bad.

--

On another note, I think the Zenphone 3 Ultra may be my next phone, at least if it comes with T-mobile compatible bands. 6.8"?
Here the phone companies always say that they don't throttle, however there was this one time where the price for data had taken a nosedive, so I subscribed to a 30 GB bundle, went through it in less than a month.

Next one I got was 35GB, the first 5 GB took forever to go through (I'm assuming it was throttled to around 1-2 Mbps), however the remaining 30 then was a breeze.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 8:06 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
If I hadn't got an S7 a couple of months ago, I'd probably be looking at the Zenphone 3 (entry-level). That said, I'm glad I have the S7 now because, even with TouchWiz (a lot better than it used to be, replaced all I could with Google/alternative apps), I don't think I could live without Samsung Pay now, especially MST.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 4:02 pm

Any recommendations for an Android, Dual SIM phone.

Mostly being used as a second/spare phone when travelling and as in car Nav.

Trying to keep it cheap as its only going to be a spare/second phone.

Thinking maybe the OnePlus X (or whatever they bring out next week.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 4:13 pm

I have the Blue Life On X, available at Amazon here:

Amazon.com: BLU Life One X Unlocked 4G LTE GSM Smartphone (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: BLU Life One X Unlocked 4G LTE GSM Smartphone (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

Cost is $149. Occasionally on sale for $99. This phone has two fully functional SIM slots both with LTE and a separate slot for a micro SD card. I have seen some phones where the second SIM slot is also the SD card slot so you have to choose one or the other.

The only major downside to this phone that I have noticed is that it charges very slowly.

Also, this phone is Lollipop, not Marshmallow. One advantage for Marshmallow on a cheap phone is that the SD card can be used for system memory, Google "Android adoptable storage' to read about that if you are unfamiliar.

Originally Posted by bobthemonkey

Old Jun 7, 2016, 4:45 pm

Sorry, meant to say I need to be able to pick it up in the UK, but will initially be using it mostly in the US.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Any recommendations for an Android, Dual SIM phone. Mostly being used as a second/spare phone when travelling and as in car Nav. Trying to keep it cheap as its only going to be a spare/second phone ...
Moto E Dual Sim 2015/2nd ed. (Model XT 1521) with 4.5" screen, pretty good battery life - designed for the Asia market, factory unlocked, running MM 6.0 now (security patches updated to Feb. 2016) factory unlocked - micro Sim sized slots (do not use adapters, it will jam & ruin the card slot !!) Retail around $150 shipped or less, mine was brand new on *Bay @ $90 USD shipped from US seller - added 32GB mSD card for storage & extended memory. Running off-line maps for travel & overseas in places without access to free WiFi data. Paired up with Sennheiser NC headset for MP3's & MP4's on the go. as backup camera (no flash) and digital world/alarm clock, white noise App & a few encrypted PDF's.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26431449-post17.html
Old Jun 8, 2016, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA

Asus Zenfone 2. Dual Sim (micro) and the micro-SD slot is separate (i.e. not the 2nd SIM slot).

Not expensive (though not a budget phone). It's good but certainly has it's issues which you'll see when Googling.

The OnePlus 3 is expected to be dual-SIM as well, likely in the range of $250-350, and an excellent phone (hopefully)
Old Jun 13, 2016, 2:19 pm

Thanks - I think I'm going to go for the just released Moto G4 providing I can get the dual sim version that supports LTE Band 12 which will maximise data speed on T-Mobile USA.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The Moto G4 and G4 Plus are being released on July 12. Prices are very reasonable for the specs. No details on the G4 Play, yet, but I think I might be priced really close to $100.

Amazon has now decided to put their lock screen ad feature on phones now. In exchange for that privilege, they will knock $50 off the price of the phone (plus an additional $25 for Prime members for a limited time). That makes the 32GB G4 incredibly well-priced.

https://www.amazon.com/Moto-4th-Gene.../dp/B01GINVN1W

I almost regret buying my kids the HTC M9's, but they needed phones ASAP, and there is still no guarantee of T-Mobile VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling compatibility.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
The Moto G4 and G4 Plus are being released on July 12. Prices are very reasonable for the specs. No details on the G4 Play, yet, but I think I might be priced really close to $100.

Amazon has now decided to put their lock screen ad feature on phones now. In exchange for that privilege, they will knock $50 off the price of the phone (plus an additional $25 for Prime members for a limited time). That makes the 32GB G4 incredibly well-priced.

https://www.amazon.com/Moto-4th-Gene.../dp/B01GINVN1W

I almost regret buying my kids the HTC M9's, but they needed phones ASAP, and there is still no guarantee of T-Mobile VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling compatibility.
I wonder how annoying and intrusive the ads will be. I'm thinking about nabbing one of these for my daughter. When do you think the Play version might come out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.