TMO New Unlimited Data Program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TMO New Unlimited Data Program

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by 9Benua
Crap, I have 8 lines on my family plan. I will need to add 2 more lines next year. I tried to add more lines today, however, it ask me to change to another plan. No way.

edit: I was able to call and get the CS to add more lines without changing the family plan.
My bad for not being clearer. CS told me adding lines to piggyback on my grandfathered plan was ok and did not constitute change of plan.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:03 pm

Programs: most of them
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
I am keeping one of my T-Mo prepaid line, $30/mo with unlimited data ... really, it's 5GB of 4G LTE data/ excess is throttled - and 100 air-time minutes plus SMS - on an unlocked Nexus device, tethering not blocked (use it when out of faster/stronger/better WiFi signal range) - use it to forward calls to Hangouts but do make those occasional domestic (USA) cellular calls but stay within the allowance, mostly.

Now, if Project Fi would price match it
That's the plan I am on too. If you don't use your phone much for phone calls it's a great deal. I've been pretty happy with it for the last few years. Can't beat the price.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:09 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by tmiw
Here's an article with more info. Apparently they're still reserving the right to get rid of those plans at some undefined point in the future. The article also doesn't explicitly mention the 10GB plan (only the 6 and 2GB ones) but it sounds like that's probably sticking around too.
For those who rarely exceed 2GB on their 3GB plan, we'd be paying to be downgraded to 2G tethering.

Last edited by Sant; Aug 22, 2016 at 2:16 pm
Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
I just checked the "Unlimited Everything" plan in Holland with T-Mobile.nl You can get it for €105 per month.
Isn't $70/month less than €105/month?

And is it really a telefoon?

Sprint has quickly entered the unlimted arena. $60, $40, $30 for next 8. TMo is same/chearper for 4+, only $10 more for 1 and 3. For the superior network, I'd stick with TMo. Even $20 more for 2 phones, I'd probably stay. My extra 3GB sign-up bonuses are expiring next month, after 2 years. I'm hoping Vz joins in - the kids are starting to hit data hard, and I don't really want to change.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by RedElmo
What? They're already not allowing us to add additional lines to existing plans???
Originally Posted by 9Benua
You can't do it online. It's asking you to change the family plan. , however you still can call in and get the CS to add more lines for you. I just did that.
Originally Posted by dtsm
My bad for not being clearer. CS told me adding lines to piggyback on my grandfathered plan was ok and did not constitute change of plan.
I'm on an even older grandfathered plan. Maximum 5 lines. Now, since it's so grandfathered, I cannot even cancel the 5th line because I would not be able to restore it at a later date.

What I find funny was that a few years ago, T-Mobile was very adamant about getting rid of all of the grandfathered plans to move people to Simple Choice plans. Now, they have a be-all-end-all plan, but they will allow existing customers to have a boatload types of grandfathered plans.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
What I find funny was that a few years ago, T-Mobile was very adamant about getting rid of all of the grandfathered plans to move people to Simple Choice plans. Now, they have a be-all-end-all plan, but they will allow existing customers to have a boatload types of grandfathered plans.
Actually, as part of Un-Carrier 9 and the Un-Contract move, T-Mobile introduced price/plan lock. Even if new plans are added and others deleted, you can stay with your current plan at the same price, forever. The "old" plan only ever goes away when you switch to a new plan, which you are under no obligation to do.

Un-Carrier 9 Press Release for reference.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Reddit has been calling this, and the $20 assisted upgrade fee, Re-Carrier 1.0 and 2.0.

I'll stick with them so long as they don't monkey with my plan. They did change my tablet plan from $10 per month to $20. Not sure what is going on with that, but if thats the case I'll just drop to the free 200 MB plan and call it a day.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Then they will monkey with the free 200MB and drop that too
Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedElmo
Then they will monkey with the free 200MB and drop that too
WOuldn't surprise me.

I'm more concerned that they'll monkey with my plan. I've got a great promo plan from 2 years ago, $50 for unlimited voice, text, data (well, until you get congestion throttled), $5 for the iPhone, $10 data match iPad plan, and $21 for the iPad. I'm coming in at about $110 per month for everything.

We'll see what happens after the iPhone 7 is introduced. Won't be too interested if it doesn't have a regular headphone jack, but the 6s should drop in price again.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by WIRunner
Reddit has been calling this, and the $20 assisted upgrade fee, Re-Carrier 1.0 and 2.0.
All the more reason to buy an unlocked phone elsewhere.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nkedel
All the more reason to buy an unlocked phone elsewhere.
Downside is that it may not have WiFi calling, VoLTE, or Band 12. You can do the upgrade via the web portal to avoid this though. Otherwise, I agree. No carrier bloatware to deal with either.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Downside is that it may not have WiFi calling, VoLTE, or Band 12. You can do the upgrade via the web portal to avoid this though. Otherwise, I agree. No carrier bloatware to deal with either.
My impression was that both of the current Nexus phones (and the sadly-deprecated Nexus 6), and current-generation iPhones purchased directly from Apple support all of the above.

My favorite current phone (albeit a rather dated one -- the Moto X Pure) supports two of the three, but not wifi calling.

Some T-mobile stores will also sell a phone at full retail to non-T-mobile customers, and some of their phones sell at the same price for both prepaid and postpaid. So (assuming you don't actually need upgrade assistance) it may be possible at some T-mobile retail outlets to upgrade without saying you're upgrading and avoid the fee.

I think you can still get carrier-branded T-mobile phones from a non-T-mo retaillers like Best Buy/Target/Costco.

So this mainly effects people who want to finance but who don't want to pay for Jump.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:14 am

I'll stick with them so long as they don't monkey with my plan. They did change my tablet plan from $10 per month to $20. Not sure what is going on with that, but if thats the case I'll just drop to the free 200 MB plan and call it a day.
That sounds like some sort of a mistake. I still have the $10 tablet plan which doesn't exist anymore. The difference is when they changed the plans to "Double Your Data" as part of Binge On, the base tablet plan went from 1GB with Data Stash for $10 (after discount) to 2GB with no Data Stash for $20 (after discount). I currently have 20GB in my iPad Data Stash so I had no plans to move to the new plan. So far everything is ok.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nkedel
My impression was that both of the current Nexus phones (and the sadly-deprecated Nexus 6), and current-generation iPhones purchased directly from Apple support all of the above.

My favorite current phone (albeit a rather dated one -- the Moto X Pure) supports two of the three, but not wifi calling.

Some T-mobile stores will also sell a phone at full retail to non-T-mobile customers, and some of their phones sell at the same price for both prepaid and postpaid. So (assuming you don't actually need upgrade assistance) it may be possible at some T-mobile retail outlets to upgrade without saying you're upgrading and avoid the fee.

I think you can still get carrier-branded T-mobile phones from a non-T-mo retaillers like Best Buy/Target/Costco.

So this mainly effects people who want to finance but who don't want to pay for Jump.
All the iPhones from the 5s and 5c up have wifi calling if the carrier supports it. You can take a Sprint iPhone and put it on AT&T and activate wifi calling, or a US Cellular one and activate it on T-Mobile, and things will work just fine. (They'll need a carrier update which would be downloaded into the phone shortly after it activates on the network.) Androids are a bit more particularly, it feels like hit or miss for wifi calling on them. For the most part they need to be "Band 12 certified" to gain wifi calling. Which the Nexus phones were. I don't believe that androids outside of the Nexus line (maybe one of the cheap-o Blu phones) have that.

Originally Posted by HockeyCoachBen
That sounds like some sort of a mistake. I still have the $10 tablet plan which doesn't exist anymore. The difference is when they changed the plans to "Double Your Data" as part of Binge On, the base tablet plan went from 1GB with Data Stash for $10 (after discount) to 2GB with no Data Stash for $20 (after discount). I currently have 20GB in my iPad Data Stash so I had no plans to move to the new plan. So far everything is ok.
I had the data match plan from last year. I got 200 MB of data for free, and 5 GB of data for $10 -- without credits -- since I have an unlimited data plan. That $10 cost jumped to $20 apparently.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:41 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
T-Mobile ONE Plus

Latest change announced today:
https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-a...-one-amped.htm
Today, T-Mobile is amping things up by quadrupling the speeds for mobile hotspot data on the T-Mobile ONE plan and introducing new 24 hour high-definition (HD) Day Passes. But the company is not stopping there. The Un-carrier is also introducing T-Mobile ONE Plus for customers who want faster mobile hotspot data, faster speeds when traveling and want to stream unlimited HD video. T-Mobile is the first and only wireless provider to offer unlimited high speed mobile hotspot data.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.